HELP: CPU temps going down while stress test

Go to solution Solved by Origami Cactus,

@Tomberry Nothing faulty here, just how the CPU works.

Totally normal behaviour for Ryzen cpus, you can see it from your readings too.

When your cpu is mostly idle, then it puts most of the cores to sleep, and runs 1-2 cores really fast, at 1.4V, and that means those 2 cores are quite hot, because I mean, 1.4V, but the total power the CPU draws is low, so it can afford to deal with that heat output.

But when you stress test, then the CPU can't run all the cores at 1.4V, that would be madness, so the voltage quickly drops to 1.2V, and all the cores are at that voltage, so much less heat in a few hotspots, so the cooler can more effectively deal with the heat.

When you stop the stress test, most of the cores go back to sleep, and the cpu can run the remaining cores at higher voltages again.

So nothing to worry about.

You just need a better fan curve, that doesn't spin the fans up until a higher temp. Much harder alternative would be to use PBO with negative curve offset, so the voltage never goes that high.

Hello,

I found out that my pc is louder than normal, and I looked at my CPU temps, after I played some games, it is stuck at 70 degrees. Then I changed my thermal paste and thought it fixed it but it didn’t I used the Ryzen master tool to stress my CPU I used HWiNFO64, Task Manager and FanControl to monitor it and I saw that the temps went down while the stress test, the fan speed went down too. Now I’m confused and need help ☹

I changed nothing in the BIOS and anywhere else

I use Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19043.1706 (21H1)

Specs:   AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor 3.70 GHz with the bequiet! Pure Rock 2 black

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX (MS-7A38) BIOS Version: B.C0

16 GB DDR4 SDRAM Dual-Channel

750W PSU from bequiet!

2 Case fans

Edit: The CPU cooler is not warm at all when i touch it

Attached File: Video of stress test

if it is running fine what is the issue. might be a faulty temp reader or somthing

9 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

if it is running fine what is the issue. might be a faulty temp reader or somthing

I searched online for the idle temps for this CPU and it’s like 35-50 with the stock cooler and it seems weird I also don’t want my CPU fan to run at 100% all the time

When your cpu is mostly idle, then it puts most of the cores to sleep, and runs 1-2 cores really fast, at 1.4V, and that means those 2 cores are quite hot, because I mean, 1.4V, but the total power the CPU draws is low, so it can afford to deal with that heat output.

But when you stress test, then the CPU can't run all the cores at 1.4V, that would be madness, so the voltage quickly drops to 1.2V, and all the cores are at that voltage, so much less heat in a few hotspots, so the cooler can more effectively deal with the heat.

When you stop the stress test, most of the cores go back to sleep, and the cpu can run the remaining cores at higher voltages again.

You just need a better fan curve, that doesn't spin the fans up until a higher temp. Much harder alternative would be to use PBO with negative curve offset, so the voltage never goes that high.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

TB -- a faulty temp sensor can lead to serious issues if the chip is truly overheating and not reporting it.

As to OP's question...

1) The 5600X is a 65W chip, neither generating much heat nor requiring much in the way of cooling.

2) Something is likely setting your fans to max above a certain temp that is causing the temp to drop.

3) You likely don't need your fan to run much harder than about 50%, and the noise level of most is almost indiscernible below 70%.

However, direct control from the motherboard output generally doesn't allow such control.

In comparison to my air-cooled 5900X rig...

My 5900X idles at 38C-42C, moderately loading to 57C-65C. I haven't seen it top 70C-72C without a 30-minute Cinebench R23 loop. Even then, it peaks at 87C with PBO enabled, and is within limits of the 90C safe temp stated by AMD. Because my fans don't reach 70% until it is really necessary, my system is quite quiet when not gaming, and when gaming, the game audio drowns out the fan noise.

I run an iCUE Commander, controlling six 120s with a custom fan profile, ranging from 30%-85% between 30C and 70C, as seen below. This supplements a Scythe Mugen 5 set for Asus' Turbo mode from the motherboard. The Commander is set to max fans to 100% above 89C, but it never does.

1494743523_CurrentCurveProfileandStep-by-StepMenuInstructions.thumb.png.800a0d2d5d25a02313a4ecfdd5ec8b47.png

My suggestion to OP is to see if they can find a quieter fan setting in their motherboard settings, and if not, to get a cheap fan controller, or if a Zen3 is in their plans, an iCUE Commander, and use it to fine-tune their CPU fan control to within a noise level more their liking. If my 5900X rig's temperature control is anything to go by, I would venture a guess that the 5600X will cool quite well between 33%-50% fan speed, which should be whisper quiet.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

thanks for correcting me

1 minute ago, An0maly_76 said:

TB -- a faulty temp sensor can lead to serious issues if the chip is truly overheating and not reporting it.

As to OP's question...

1) The 5600X is a 65W chip, neither generating much heat nor requiring much in the way of cooling.

2) Something is likely setting your fans to max above a certain temp that is causing the temp to drop.

3) You likely don't need your fan to run much harder than about 50%, and the noise level of most is almost indiscernible below 70%.

However, direct control from the motherboard output generally doesn't allow such control.

My 5900X idles at 38C-42C, moderately loading to 57C-65C. I haven't seen it top 70C-72C without a 30-minute Cinebench R23 loop. Even then, it peaks at 87C with PBO enabled, and is within limits of the 90C safe temp stated by AMD. Because my fans don't reach 70% until it is really necessary, my system is quite quiet when not gaming, and when gaming, the game audio drowns out the fan noise.

I run an iCUE Commander, controlling six 120s with a custom fan profile, ranging from 30%-85% between 30C and 70C, as seen below. This supplements a Scythe Mugen 5 set for Asus' Turbo mode from the motherboard. The Commander is set to max fans to 100% above 89C, but it never does.

1494743523_CurrentCurveProfileandStep-by-StepMenuInstructions.thumb.png.800a0d2d5d25a02313a4ecfdd5ec8b47.png

My suggestion to OP is to see if they can find a quieter fan setting in their motherboard settings, and if not, to get a cheap fan controller, or if a Zen3 is in their plans, an iCUE Commander, and use it to fine-tune their CPU fan control to within a noise level more their liking. If my 5900X rig's temperature control is anything to go by, I would venture a guess that the 5600X will cool quite well between 33%-50% fan speed, which should be whisper quiet.

Why would anyone need a ICUE commander for that, you do know that you can set custom CPU curves just as easily in BIOS right, and that doesn't cost 100€. I have tried MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte and Asrock motherboards, all of them had the custom curve option.

3 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Why would anyone need a ICUE commander for that, you do know that you can set custom CPU curves just as easily in BIOS right, and that doesn't cost 100€. I have tried MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte and Asrock motherboards, all of them had the custom curve option.

Please re-read my post, I DID say IF no options were available in BIOS. I also said that I would recommend the Commander IF a better Zen3 was in their future plans.

3 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

That said, the iCUE Commander may be more expensive, but it's worth it. So many said I would never keep my 5900X cool with air. So many more have said my Corsair 4000X case was garbage and would never cool the likes of a 5900X. Myth busted. Ninety days in, this build has yet to top 89C or throttle, only reaching 89C on a 30-minute Cinebench R23 loop, and it NEVER tops 70-72C in my use.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Forgot to mention, OP, while my max safe temp is 90C, yours is 95C, per AMD. 70C is nothing to worry about and quite normal, as others have said.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

14 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

As to OP's question...

Thanks for your help!

Umm, something isnt right idle temps should always be lower than load temps obviously... i suspect a *very* strange fancurve most likely. 

probably need some info as in, whats cpu fan speed at idle versus load to begin with...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

49 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Umm, something isnt right idle temps should always be lower than load temps obviously... i suspect a *very* strange fancurve most likely. 

probably need some info as in, whats cpu fan speed at idle versus load to begin with...

I think the sensor might be broken because when i stress the cpu, the cooler stays cold when i touch it. But Origami Cactus said that this is normal 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

2 hours ago, Marcel25 said:

I think the sensor might be broken because when i stress the cpu, the cooler stays cold when i touch it. But Origami Cactus said that this is normal 🤷‍♂️

Yeah this is normal. Mark, we are not on 14mm++++ anymore, the newer ryzen platforms are on 7nm, and that means they are really really dense.

And because of the voltage regulation I highlighted in my previous comment, it makes perfect sense.

It is really hard to cool a microscopic single core, which is taking 1.4V and boosting higher, because the heat really isn't spreading far from the source, because the heat source is so tiny, so cooler is inefficient in cooling it.

But when under load, then the voltage is much lower (1.2V), and the sources of heat are far more spread out (all cores vs a single one), so the cooler is much more efficient in removing the heat, resulting in lower temps under load.

Note, this only happens with a good air cooler, and under a short all core load. If you render something for let's say 30min, then eventually the cooler and IHS get heatsoaked, so the temps raise again.

To get rid of the cooler noise, I just made a fan curve that only starts slowly ramping up past 50c, so it doesn't ramp when idle.

1 hour ago, Origami Cactus said:

And because of the voltage regulation I highlighted in my previous comment, it makes perfect sense.

It is really hard to cool a microscopic single core, which is taking 1.4V and boosting higher

i get what you're saying but in my experience the cpu just isnt very hot during "idle" ... 40C roughly,  and even under light loads it'll be 60C mostly,  maybe short spikes to 70...

also ryzen should not idle at 1.4, more like 0.2-1v or something (although many monitoring apps have issues with ryzen idle voltages specifically) 

r5_tempsidledokhp.png.93a5ae21f91a9793849e117ee91a6b40.png

you see 60 max while "idle" and its not really idling anyway this benchmark tool alone uses about 1% cpu at minimum for sure. 

but when i run cinebench temps easily go to 80C and stay there (which is the point because you don't want temps to slowly creeping up under load)

edit: here's playing ROTTR (high load)

rottrmaxlowv_r5dwi25lk5n.thumb.png.45677ec4dcf8e2e2b8ede2ef5e33fff3.png

shows everything i think, V, W, usage, FAN speeds, temps... and naturally temps, fans etc go up under load (see idle temp is only 37C, around what Id typically expect, max is 70 under high loads) 

I still think this is a weird fan curve issue honestly,  OP didn't provide any(?) info about that however,  so its just speculation at this point.  

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

i get what you're saying but in my experience the cpu just isnt very hot during "idle" ... 40C roughly,  and even under light loads it'll be 60C mostly,  maybe short spikes to 70...

also ryzen should not idle at 1.4, more like 0.2-1v or something (although many monitoring apps have issues with ryzen idle voltages specifically) 

you see 60 max while "idle" and its not really idling anyway this benchmark tool alone uses about 1% cpu at minimum for sure. 

but when i run cinebench temps easily go to 80C and stay there (which is the point because you don't want temps to slowly creeping up under load)

edit: here's playing ROTTR (high load)

rottrmaxlowv_r5dwi25lk5n.thumb.png.45677ec4dcf8e2e2b8ede2ef5e33fff3.png

shows everything i think, V, W, usage, FAN speeds, temps... and naturally temps, fans etc go up under load (see idle temp is only 37C, around what Id typically expect, max is 70 under high loads) 

I still think this is a weird fan curve issue honestly,  OP didn't provide any(?) info about that however,  so its just speculation at this point.  

Ryzen actually idles at 0volts, as it turns off the cores when idle, you can see that in Ryzen master.

But you know that windows always has something going on in the background, so the 1-2 cores that stay awake run at 1.4v and max boost to deal with them quickly, then they go to sleep, and then some other cores wake up and take care of the next threads.

This is what I have seen from my 3700x. When windows is "idle" it likes to spike the temp, because it wakes up a core and boosts it to max every once in a while.