Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Multiple reservoirs in a loop

Cooling the CPU only, at least for now.

I am looking at a reservoir that mounts to the front my may case, but it's capacity is 250ml, I noticed that any other reservoir is 300 or 500.

First, is 250ml enough for a system?

Second, if not can I have a second reservoir without needing a second pump?

Just now, IronWolf0315 said:

First, is 250ml enough for a system?

You don't really need any reservoir (see AIOs), it's just that the bigger the reservoir, the easier the loop is to fill. It's the main reason I try to stick to large tube reservoirs for my main system -- I'm lazy. 

3 minutes ago, IronWolf0315 said:

Second, if not can I have a second reservoir without needing a second pump?

Yeah, but there's not really much of a point to it, it doesn't really make it any easier to fill up, it might even make it harder. Just stick to a single res, a small one is fine, it'll just take a little bit to get everything filled and the loop bled. 

Technically a ress isn't a requirement at all. Very old school home brew watercooling frequently didn't include a ress for the pump. It's really only serves two purposes. Keeps the pump fed and makes filling faster/easier.

A ress will add very little resistance to a loop. If anything it may add absolutely zero as the flow leaving the ress would be gravity fed. Depending on how you would plan to orient and plumb this it wouldn't make any real difference. Single pump should handle it fine.

12 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You don't really need any reservoir (see AIOs), it's just that the bigger the reservoir, the easier the loop is to fill. It's the main reason I try to stick to large tube reservoirs for my main system -- I'm lazy. 

Yeah, but there's not really much of a point to it, it doesn't really make it any easier to fill up, it might even make it harder. Just stick to a single res, a small one is fine, it'll just take a little bit to get everything filled and the loop bled. 

Thank you, I don't know a lot about liquid cooling systems, and I am trying to learn what I need or don't need.

EDIT: Though if I understand properly, to cool just my CPU, I could theoretically forgo the entire setup for a back mounted radiator and fan combo, for example something like this?

61oRl628g7L._AC_SY355_.jpg

14 minutes ago, IronWolf0315 said:

Thank you, I don't know a lot about liquid cooling systems, and I am trying to learn what I need or don't need.

Watch some of JayzTwoCents's earlier content, he did a lot of budget loops so you can get an idea of what's actually necessary and what's just aesthetic/snake oil.

15 minutes ago, IronWolf0315 said:

EDIT: Though if I understand properly, to cool just my CPU, I could theoretically forgo the entire setup for a back mounted radiator and fan combo, for example something like this?

61oRl628g7L._AC_SY355_.jpg

That is one funky looking AIO. But yeah, if you're just cooling the CPU you could just buy an AIO. 

18 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Watch some of JayzTwoCents's earlier content, he did a lot of budget loops so you can get an idea of what's actually necessary and what's just aesthetic/snake oil.

That is one funky looking AIO. But yeah, if you're just cooling the CPU you could just buy an AIO. 

It may look a bit weird but where it's being mounted, no one will even see it so, I don't really care what it looks like as long as it works.

15 minutes ago, IronWolf0315 said:

It may look a bit weird but where it's being mounted, no one will even see it so, I don't really care what it looks like as long as it works.

I more meant that as in I don't think I've ever seen one designed like that in my 5+ years of custom water cooling PCs. 

But yeah, just get an AIO, the Artic Liquid Freezer II is pretty good for the price. 

A res is simply to prevent the pump from ever running without water. It adds volume which helps keep the loop from heating up quick, final temp will be the same, but it slows down the ramp up. 

Rig: i7 10700k @ 5.1Ghz, 4.8 Ring - - Z490 Vision G - - EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra @ 2025Mhz - - 4x8GB Vengeance Pro 3000Mhz 15-17-17-34 @ 3500MHz 16-19-19-38 - - Samsung 950 Pro 512 NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Samsung 830 Pro 256 RAID 0 Lightroom + Photo work - - WD Blue 1 TB SSD for Games - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - EK Supremacy Evo - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK Full Cover GPU Block - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 64 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - 10TB WD Red for expendable data - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone Xs - 2018 MacBook Air

Its just dumb to cool only the cpu cause thats the least important thing to cool since cpu overclocking is dead unless you run 1.5v+ while keeping the thing under 70c aka needless power wastage and stupidly bulky cooling system, gpu would be better to cool for more oc headroom (cause it actually noticably affects your fps)

Unless you are like me and you are building a ghetto loop with the only goal in mind being overclock the balls off your cpu then just get an aio, if you are building for looks use cheap chinese parts cause you can get a half decent loop under 100$ on aliexpress, its even upgradable too, have a look at bykski or barrow cause theyre pretty much the chinese equivalent of big brands like ek

Personally for my ghetto loop im using an f ing tupperware as the res and it seems to work just fine from initial testing, it looks to hold quite abit of water so id assume prob >500ml, the reason i chose it is mainly just because it was conveniently sitting around not being used but with this 90w ish aquarium pump im starting to think i may need more just cause running the damn thing for ~2 secs immedeately brings the water down to the point the pump stops being able to pump cause water is too low, basically from full to half so id assume ~5 secs to drain the thing entirely

Yes the bigger the res the easier it is to fill, im starting to think ill need a taller res just so when i shut it off the water doesnt overflow and wet everything, but thats because this is an open loop im working with, for closed loops you dont have to worry about water overflow from my understanding (unless you overfill it obv), and since d5 are not as ludicrous with the flow rate you prob dont need that big of a res to keep it fed and not dry up when filling, not to mention most regular custom loops dont have that much water capacity anyways unlike mine which will prob hold over 1L in the loop itself not even counting the res, so for a normal loop id think 250 is fine but you can go higher for convenience, for me its water overflow and drying up concerns so crucial to get a taller res (prob gonna butcher another container and stick its walls ontop the current tupperware or some other abomination i can come up with) so res size is more important for me

Spoiler

IMG_20220424_140542.thumb.jpg.ca9b3516c98d559d7608300fff6f1913.jpg

Heres pretty much the loops current state other than some slight progress with the bottlecap adapters, lets just say not everyone should do this, but im a masochist so haha e8400 to 5ghz+ go brrrrrrrrr

5 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Its just dumb to cool only the cpu cause thats the least important thing to cool since cpu overclocking is dead unless you run 1.5v+ while keeping the thing under 70c aka needless power wastage and stupidly bulky cooling system, gpu would be better to cool for more oc headroom (cause it actually noticably affects your fps)

My GPU already has built-in fans, and I'm not sure how one would even attempt adding it to the loop. Most nothing else in my build, actually requires cooling, one m.2 SSD and a single HDD are about the only other components in my build. Also with my case design there is no side vent, making a CPU fan more or less pointless.

Just now, IronWolf0315 said:

My GPU already has built-in fans, and I'm not sure how one would even attempt adding it to the loop. Most nothing else in my build, actually requires cooling, one m.2 SSD and a single HDD are about the only other components in my build.

Temps under load? What gpu model?

If you actually have a decent cooler that keeps gpu under 70c then custom loop is pretty pointless for it

Cpu wise you can cool it with just a ~20$ single tower or a 40-60$ dual tower/thicc tower, if you prefer the aesthetics of watercooling you can get an aio or build a cheap chinese loop off aliexpress, though custon looping usually only provides aesthetics if you go soft tube upgradability is gonna be a breeze, but if you go hardtube i hope you dont have plans to uograde your components or loop anytime soon

11 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Temps under load? What gpu model?

If you actually have a decent cooler that keeps gpu under 70c then custom loop is pretty pointless for it

Cpu wise you can cool it with just a ~20$ single tower or a 40-60$ dual tower/thicc tower, if you prefer the aesthetics of watercooling you can get an aio or build a cheap chinese loop off aliexpress, though custon looping usually only provides aesthetics if you go soft tube upgradability is gonna be a breeze, but if you go hardtube i hope you dont have plans to uograde your components or loop anytime soon

I don't presently know the temps under load yet, still in the process of acquiring all of the parts, I'm just trying to figure out temp control before it becomes an issue.

Edit: However the GPU Model is Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Rev2

On 5/24/2022 at 6:52 PM, LIGISTX said:

A res is simply to prevent the pump from ever running without water. It adds volume which helps keep the loop from heating up quick, final temp will be the same, but it slows down the ramp up. 

also takes long to cool down...

23 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Unless you are like me and you are building a ghetto loop with the only goal in mind being overclock the balls off your cpu then just get an aio, if you are building for looks use cheap chinese parts cause you can get a half decent loop under 100$ on aliexpress, its even upgradable too, have a look at bykski or barrow cause theyre pretty much the chinese equivalent of big brands like ek

Personally for my ghetto loop im using an f ing tupperware as the res and it seems to work just fine from initial testing, it looks to hold quite abit of water so id assume prob >500ml, the reason i chose it is mainly just because it was conveniently sitting around not being used but with this 90w ish aquarium pump im starting to think i may need more just cause running the damn thing for ~2 secs immedeately brings the water down to the point the pump stops being able to pump cause water is too low, basically from full to half so id assume ~5 secs to drain the thing entirely

Yes the bigger the res the easier it is to fill, im starting to think ill need a taller res just so when i shut it off the water doesnt overflow and wet everything, but thats because this is an open loop im working with, for closed loops you dont have to worry about water overflow from my understanding (unless you overfill it obv), and since d5 are not as ludicrous with the flow rate you prob dont need that big of a res to keep it fed and not dry up when filling, not to mention most regular custom loops dont have that much water capacity anyways unlike mine which will prob hold over 1L in the loop itself not even counting the res, so for a normal loop id think 250 is fine but you can go higher for convenience, for me its water overflow and drying up concerns so crucial to get a taller res (prob gonna butcher another container and stick its walls ontop the current tupperware or some other abomination i can come up with) so res size is more important for me

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20220424_140542.thumb.jpg.ca9b3516c98d559d7608300fff6f1913.jpg

Heres pretty much the loops current state other than some slight progress with the bottlecap adapters, lets just say not everyone should do this, but im a masochist so haha e8400 to 5ghz+ go brrrrrrrrr

why not a 10l bucket? or 55l barrel? i kid... you can cool it with just water using surface too cool but i think you need like a bathtub amount of water.

there also a way to Chane a few barrels to gether and only pull the cool water out. it has a name but i dont remember what its called..

i no linus did a video on water cooling with a t line but cant seem to find it...