Assumed Dead GPU but RMA states otherwise?

jacobc74

Good Afternoon

I have recently been having problems with my graphics card not displaying the system booted fine for a few days but then suddenly stopped working, the vga light goes white on the motherboard but there is no display on any of the ports, I have tried resetting the CMOS, Updating the Bios, Reseating the GPU,Seating the gpu in a different pcie slot, swapping the connectors round for pcie power, Booting with only one stick of ram installed and even using a different display and display cable but have had no success.

If I swap my GPU to my old 1060 The system Acknowledges the card change and boots fine. However if I try to Dual boot the system with both cards I get no display on either card. but my other pcs power supply Is insufficient to test the 3080, Believing the card was faulty I RMA’d it but they sent it back after 2 days stating that they couldn’t find the fault described  so I can only assume the card works fine in another system?

Whenever work has been done in the case ESD wristbands and proper equipment has been used but I am unsure what other steps to take

Listed are my specs

Motherboard – ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VIII

CPU – AMD Ryzen 9 5950x

GPU – MSI SuprimX Gaming Trio 3080TI

RAM – 32GB Corsair Vengeance c18 3600mhz

PSU – Corsair RM850x fully Modular

its not the pcie slots as my 1060 works on both

any help would be greatly appreciated

Only thing I can possibly think of is a power supply issue. How 'insufficient' is your other power supply? Would it have enough drive to boot the card? (Not play games but just get into the BIOS.) That would tell you if your other power supply is at fault. If not I have no idea (being honest)  How many watts is your other PSU. 

-other things to try -Changing the PCI protocol? (changing it down to gen 4 to gen 3?)

Ignore all this unless @RONOTHAN##'s method doesn't work

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Also those debug lights stay lit as long as its trying to boot that particular device...
So the VGA light not going out, first thing would be to inspect the video card and such.

But you already got that far.
And if the above video that @RONOTHAN##shared doesnt work, it might be the motherboard itself.

Also, why do people still keep buying ASUS motherboards, haven't they already shown over the last 3 years they are far under par with the rest like MSI and Gigabyte?
Or did i miss something? (I do know for a fact that Asus customer service is absolutly terrible now, but that might just be here in the Netherlands.)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Honestly with that cpu and that gpu I wouldn't be surprised if that 850 watts is cutting it close as the 3080ti is super power hungry and that only gets worse when talking about crazy third party versions that are meant for overclocking. 

5 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Also, why do people still keep buying ASUS motherboards, haven't they already shown over the last 3 years they are far under par with the rest like MSI and Gigabyte?
Or did i miss something?

People see them in a lot of reviews and think "Oh, these must be good boards, [insert techtuber here] uses one." Some people also really like they way ASUS lays out their BIOS (I'm not personally one of them, the way you have to enable XMP is very unintuitive IMO, and every other setting is just in weird spots, then again I like ASRock's BIOS layout so take that for what you will), and they do have some pretty good boards. The Z690 Apex is one of, if not the best Z690 boards being made, and their B550 TUF lineup is pretty respectable for the price (at least it was, don't know if that's changed in the past month or so since I don't look at AM4 pricing that much), it's just that for their boards are 10-20% more expensive from the competing ASRock, MSI, and Gigabyte boards out there that are just as good if not better. 

9 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly with that cpu and that gpu I wouldn't be surprised if that 850 watts is cutting it close as the 3080ti is super power hungry and that only gets worse when talking about crazy third party versions that are meant for overclocking. 

That wouldn't prevent booting though.

Also, with a 3080 running Folding at Home and my 5950X running Cinebench, it still seems to be under 650W from the wall.  I can't imagine the Ti pushing it over 850W.

The reason I stick with ASUS is mostly down to supply.  The last two PCs I built I got lazy and paid for pre-tested bundles which both the store chose ASUS.  But also, I've never had a single problem with an ASUS motherboard personally.  Then again, not had an issue with Gigabyte either or my ASRock machine.  But I DID have an issue with a newer ASRock board, they seem to have gone really down hill.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah unlikely with that PSU, many have reported it to work.

It s a really good unit, if the correct on. just saying.

Not every 850Watt PSU is the same. Some watts are better then others. 😛
(its not that persé but more like manufacturers like to lie to us customers, some do it more then others.)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

52 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

Only thing I can possibly think of is a power supply issue. How 'insufficient' is your other power supply? Would it have enough drive to boot the card? (Not play games but just get into the BIOS.) That would tell you if your other power supply is at fault. If not I have no idea (being honest)  How many watts is your other PSU. 

-other things to try -Changing the PCI protocol? (changing it down to gen 4 to gen 3?)

Ignore all this unless @RONOTHAN##'s method doesn't work

My other PC is only running a 500 watt psu and I was thinking it could be something to do with pcie 4.0 since the 1060 booted with no issues on the same psu and motherboard but I realise the card requires no power in comparison thanks for the help everyone spent a considerable amount of time on this now, will update if I make any progress

I would try and use multiple pcie power cables to power your gpu. By that I mean if you had 2x8pin connections on your gpu you would use one pcie power cable for one 8pin and then use another for the other 8pin. 

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I would try and use multiple pcie power cables to power your gpu. By that I mean if you had 2x8pin connections on your gpu you would use one pcie power cable for one 8pin and then use another for the other 8pin. 

It has 3 8Pin connectors for which ive used 3 seperate pcie cables and no connections are daisy chained,

I have also tried the GPU on my old system and had the same result : no post and a black screen which makes me think whoever tested the unit when I RMA'd it didnt do a very thorough job, also tested the old GPU outside the case and again system boots instantly... Am i missing something?

Cant see how it could be anything besides the gpu at this point

11 hours ago, PanagioPeren said:

Did your issue happen after updating the bios? 

no it just randomly happened one day, at a complete loss if im honest

Sorry if i missed it but what did MSI say exactly? 

Did they just say "it works" or was there more / other info provided? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2022 at 5:51 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Sorry if i missed it but what did MSI say exactly? 

Did they just say "it works" or was there more / other info provided? 

Apologies for the delay,I've been having an extension done on the house.

I sent it back to the distributor. MSI refused to take it stating that there is no direct warranty support from MSI for end users, and that the RMA process for components require the distributor to send the faulty units back to the muanufacturer. Which I cant initiate because apprently this cannot be directed from the end users side.

It was the distributor who sent it back after 24 hours stating the unit to be functional. there was no further information of the diagnostic processes just "after extensive tesing from our technicians we cannot find the fault you reported". 

However I recieved an update today and even though my warranty is finished the retailer have agreed to RMA the card for the second time, hopefully this attempt yields better results.