should i buy a WD Green 240GB Boot drive SSD or something with DRAM

should i be getting a DRAMless WD Green to replace my WD Blue 500GB HDD from 10  years ago or should i go for an MX500 for both Boot and Games drives? my old Boot drive croaked. (Pictured below) and now i'm stuck with just a boot drive now

image.png

What's your budget ? 250GB is pretty small even for a boot only drive...

Can't figure how ppl do with less than 1TB 🙂

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

What's your budget ? 250GB is pretty small even for a boot only drive...

Can't figure how ppl do with less than 1TB 🙂

i don't have a set budget, its not likely i'll be able to buy anything anyway but i'm looking to get Boot and Games SSDs. what i currently have is the 240GB WD Green for boot and the MX500 1TB. i don't have too big a Steam library anyways so i'm not willing to Spend 200AUD+ on a 2TB SSD even though it would be a great to have. the total with the Green and MX500 comes up to 165 AUD. 

18 minutes ago, BionicSeaSerpent said:

should i be getting a DRAMless WD Green to replace my WD Blue 500GB HDD from 10  years ago or should i go for an MX500 for both Boot and Games drives? my old Boot drive croaked. (Pictured below) and now i'm stuck with just a boot drive now

image.png

Honestly questions like this are totally subjective, buy what you need that is in your budget. If you have unlimited funds (or as good as for this example) then buy what you want. Work out how much room you need for your Windows install, apps, games and docs, images, films etc. Decide on a layout, do you want to keep Windows separate from games? Then a two disk setup, otherwise just one disk and partition it.

The answer to the question of how much space you need is only answerable by you.

Do you need the performance of an SSD + DRAM or is a DRAM less drive perfectly adequate for your needs? Look at some reviews of drives that are not extreme gamer centric type reviews (Techtesters for example have some excellent reviews for a range of uses) once you have decided on a drive to double check it is suitable and worth your money.

As far as needing massive drives, well, I have been using a 500Gb boot drive for over 5 years now and it has less than 40Gb in use, as I said, subjective.

13 minutes ago, BionicSeaSerpent said:

i don't have a set budget, its not likely i'll be able to buy anything anyway but i'm looking to get Boot and Games SSDs. what i currently have is the 240GB WD Green for boot and the MX500 1TB. i don't have too big a Steam library anyways so i'm not willing to Spend 200AUD+ on a 2TB SSD even though it would be a great to have. the total with the Green and MX500 comes up to 165 AUD. 

Errm but then what are you asking if you already have the drives ??

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Get the 500 GB to 1 TB one, with the one of you feel it's enough, agree with @DigitalGoat as it's subjective. I'm using a 480 GB as both boot and game drive and, well, sometimes it's not enough, but it's good to have one for the games you want to load fast. Anything else's on my 1 TB HDD though.

Could take the MX500 instead of the WD Green though, I used the M.2 128 GB WD Green (gave it to my bro now) and they actually sucks and slow for a SSD.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

1 minute ago, DigitalGoat said:

Honestly questions like this are totally subjective, buy what you need that is in your budget. If you have unlimited funds (or as good as for this example) then buy what you want. Work out how much room you need for your Windows install, apps, games and docs, images, films etc. Decide on a layout, do you want to keep Windows separate from games? Then a two disk setup, otherwise just one disk and partition it.

The answer to the question of how much space you need is only answerable by you.

Do you need the performance of an SSD + DRAM or is a DRAM less drive perfectly adequate for your needs? Look at some reviews of drives that are not extreme gamer centric type reviews (Techtesters for example have some excellent reviews for a range of uses) once you have decided on a drive to double check it is suitable and worth your money.

As far as needing massive drives, well, I have been using a 500Gb boot drive for over 5 years now and it has less than 40Gb in use, as I said, subjective.

well i have both Windows and Manjaro installed to my 500GB Boot drive and Windows uses 90GB normally. partitioning 50/50 should work fine on a 240GB ssd. i do game, most Taxing thing i'm playing is GTA V and my Poor GT540M can barely handle 720P Low 1/2 scaling at more than 15 FPS. these drives are SATA II, i was just curious if a DRAMless SSD is going to be any faster than that, thats what will influence my Purchase.

2 minutes ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

Get the 500 GB to 1 TB one, with the one of you feel it's enough, agree with @DigitalGoat as it's subjective. I'm using a 480 GB as both boot and game drive and, well, sometimes it's not enough, but it's good to have one for the games you want to load fast. Anything else's on my 1 TB HDD though.

Could take the MX500 instead of the WD Green though, I used the M.2 128 GB WD Green (gave it to my bro now) and they actually sucks and slow for a SSD.

but both my Drives are SATA II and i have never had an SSD in a System of my own. it'll surely be reasonably faster right? that's what i'm looking For. 

As long as your drive is an SSD, you won't notice a difference between one with or without a DRAM in real-world useage. There are situations where it will become apparent, but in the end any SSD will be worlds faster and especially more responsive than any HDD. At least for a normal OS boot drive.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

11 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

As long as your drive is an SSD, you won't notice a difference between one with or without a DRAM in real-world useage. There are situations where it will become apparent, but in the end any SSD will be worlds faster and especially more responsive than any HDD. At least for a normal OS boot drive.

especially on an i5-GT laptop like mine that's 10 years old and runs drives off of SATA II (Drives being the SATA II Bottleneck)

PS: your PFP is cute BTW. love it.