Moving soon, what to do with pc

I'm moving halfway across the US soon, and was wondering if I should disassemble some parts of my computer to keep them safe. I'm most likely going to remove my gpu, and maybe my cpu cooler if you guys think I should. But my main concern is my hard drive, I heard it wasn't good for them to be rattled around, will all my data on my pc be ruined?

20220518_172727.jpg

take off the gpu and that huge cooler, the rest of the components should be fine, just make sure everything is secured properly, cables, ssds, ram etc. the hard drive you can put back in the box it came in, same with gpu and cpu cooler.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

I cant help with how to transport it, but before anything, BACK IT UP!! back up your hard drive, if you cant get an ssd, rent cloud storage for a month (you could get some google one perks too).

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

Will you be shipping the PC yourself? (e.g. by your own car)

If so, then just removing the GPU and the tower cooler will be fine. As long as the case itself doesn't fall from a significant height, get dropped, or flip around too much the hard drive will be completely fine, as it will be powered off and not spinning. If it will be handled and shipped by someone else (freight carrier, airline, whatever) then remove the hard drive, keep in in your personal bag of belongings that you can ensure will not be jostled around and thrown and it'll be fine. The GPU, CPU cooler and the rest of the tower can be shipped in separate packages.

It's not as common as the media will have you think for a PC to be damaged during shipping. They're fragile, but not AS fragile as people make them out to be. Normally, if a PC is damaged during shipping it's because of a worst case scenario. (e.g. heavy gpu installed in pci-e slot during shipping)

Hard drives are shipped around when manufactured, and sometimes shipped around again when bought from an online store. They can withstand shipping, as long as they aren't slam dunked into a mailbox or onto the ground.

~` please , don't let my whole life burn down `~

- why can't i just focus right now? -

; i'm tired ;

6 hours ago, kamonanban said:

I cant help with how to transport it, but before anything, BACK IT UP!! back up your hard drive, if you cant get an ssd, rent cloud storage for a month (you could get some google one perks too).

I'm not sure how to do that, but I definitely will look it up, thanks:)

6 hours ago, GR1MES said:

Will you be shipping the PC yourself? (e.g. by your own car)

If so, then just removing the GPU and the tower cooler will be fine. As long as the case itself doesn't fall from a significant height, get dropped, or flip around too much the hard drive will be completely fine, as it will be powered off and not spinning. If it will be handled and shipped by someone else (freight carrier, airline, whatever) then remove the hard drive, keep in in your personal bag of belongings that you can ensure will not be jostled around and thrown and it'll be fine. The GPU, CPU cooler and the rest of the tower can be shipped in separate packages.

It's not as common as the media will have you think for a PC to be damaged during shipping. They're fragile, but not AS fragile as people make them out to be. Normally, if a PC is damaged during shipping it's because of a worst case scenario. (e.g. heavy gpu installed in pci-e slot during shipping)

Hard drives are shipped around when manufactured, and sometimes shipped around again when bought from an online store. They can withstand shipping, as long as they aren't slam dunked into a mailbox or onto the ground.

There will be a shipping company moving everything. I'll keep the gpu and hard drive in the car. Hopefully that won't mess it up to bad either, thanks

Having moved my tower into and out of college many times, I put it on the passenger seat next to me with a pillow under and behind it against the seat and then lock the seatbelt in place, drive safely and responsibly, and so far everything has been safe being well bolted in.

5 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

https://one.google.com/about

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

8 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

Also, what cloud storage service would you recommend? Not sure if there are any name brands or anything besides Google so

I'm always bringing my work station tower to my girlfriends house all the time I just stick some foam in with my gpu but if you are worried just take the gpu and put it in box make sure everything in the case is secure and not loose and everrything else should be fine. my 2070 in my workstation is long but it doesn't move much esp if you stick in foam

5 hours ago, cottechguy2 said:

if you are concerned about the hdd, then move to ssd

I'm surprised that more of us Geeks are are not using SSDs in their Rigs.

11 hours ago, cottechguy2 said:

if you are concerned about the hdd, then move to ssd

You wanna give me 100 dollars for one?

On 5/26/2022 at 12:49 AM, clementishutin said:

Can you re assemble the parts of your CPU by yourself? 

I wouldn't be taking out the cpu, if it's the cpu cooler you mean then I might be able to. I had help last time assembling it before but I won't this time. 

• 4 weeks later...

Moving with a case like that is easy just toss a bunch of crumpled newspaper so the cooler and GPU are secure and bam bob's your uncle.

Last time I moved I had my computer on a 3ft x 4ft wall mount and water-cooled. I didn't drain anything and just put it in the U-Haul last and stuck a single ratchet strap across it and drove from NC to CA in 53 hours and when I got here it powered up easily and never leaked or anything

I took my PC from Germany as a piece of bulk luggage.
I took my 3080ti out wrapped the PC in a blanket covered both sides with seat cushions wrapped another blanket around it and then put it in a cardboard box and I used lots of tape and fragile stickers. turned on with the first boot up. 

• 4 weeks later...

ah yes, this is the perfect thread. im moving soon and i have a desktop and a small nas with 2 hdd in it that i have to transport. do you guys think its really necessary to take of the cpu cooler (same noctua gigantoid as op)?

i'm also really worried about the rattling of 26 hours doing damage, but if the hard drives are off then its no problem?

1 hour ago, Potatochips445 said:

ah yes, this is the perfect thread. im moving soon and i have a desktop and a small nas with 2 hdd in it that i have to transport. do you guys think its really necessary to take of the cpu cooler (same noctua gigantoid as op)?

i'm also really worried about the rattling of 26 hours doing damage, but if the hard drives are off then its no problem?

Pack well, and shouldn't be a problem. Newspaper is a good packing material, and then just pad the outside. I use the pillow(s) from my above response to lessen vibration and shock intensity.

On 7/20/2022 at 12:51 AM, Potatochips445 said:

do you guys think its really necessary to take of the cpu cooler (same noctua gigantoid as op)?

Yes. Either take it off, or stuff your case with something so it doesn't move.

A heavy cooler wobbling a away on your motherboard while you drive is a great way to damage the board, the cpu, the mount and the cooler itself

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 5/18/2022 at 8:58 PM, SquiddyButler said:

There will be a shipping company moving everything. I'll keep the gpu and hard drive in the car. Hopefully that won't mess it up to bad either, thanks

are you booting off an SSD, or an HDD? Because SSDs aren’t harmed by shaking them around. If you aren’t sure which is which, you can post a picture