Recovering a deleted partition

zogthegreat

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to help a friend that accidentally deleted his "D" drive partition and then reformatted the drive. He setup his system with a "C" drive for his OS and a "D" drive for data. The D drive came with his laptop and had a Windows setup partition form Lenovo.

I've tried the demo versions of a couple of partition recovery software. They see the partition the he created, plus the original partitions from Lenovo, but for some reason, nothing can see the deleted partition.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what is the best way to proceed? He is will to pay for software to recover his data.

Thanks!

zog

Well if the data of the partition was overwriten, not all of the data would be able to be recovered.

You can try using EASEUS PARTITION MASTER and try to do partition recovery, there is a free version and i think it will be able to recover the partition.

Testdisk my be able to find the partitions and recreate the table, but if it was recreated / formatted in addition to being deleted it lowers the chances.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to give test disk a try.

19 hours ago, zogthegreat said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to give test disk a try.

1) don't write or delete anything.

The more you write the lesser chances of recovery of data becomes bcuz those bits can get overwritten.

2) install only those software which will be used to recover data.

3) software :

a)recuva (windows)

b)seagate recovery tools (windows)

c)test disk (windows and linux)

I have recovered over 2tb using Seagate recovery tools. In a fit of Rage deleting stuff is not good. 😩😩

For some reason i was also able to recover all of the data which got formatted/deleted when i installed NEW windows from scratch with these software.

4) i would recommend a Linux or Linux mint working from a pen drive or memory card to ise to recover files.

(Basically a Linux/ Linux mint installation media via usb stick.

What's good about linux/Linux mint is that i lets you use Linux without installing on hdd/ssd right out of the memory card or pendrive)

1) install testdisk on Linux mint (it will be temporarily installed on pendrive/memory card)

2) launch testdisk then scan and recover

(You might need elaborated permissions to see the drives from explorer, it's just like "run/open as administrator" but for Linux)

Hope it helps.