32bit emulator for win 10

Mark Kaine

Im trying to install Judge Dread Pinball and it tells me "this exe cant run in 64bit windows,  blah, blah, contact the manufacturer..."

i tried windows 95 compatibility mode and Vista, neither worked, same error message.  

But apparently there are 32bit emulators?  Will this work and any suggestions? 

Edit: how about this ?

20220515_214932.thumb.jpg.7ff3419ef1f014e45bd4953df02196ee.jpg seems sus, but i guess that might help? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

First of all, that error is usually a sign of that app being 16bit, as 32bit apps should work fine on a regular install of Win64. Second, that screenshot is showing an IIS configuration, unless this pinball is a web application, its not going to be the solution.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 minutes ago, Levent said:

First of all, that error is usually a sign of that app being 16bit, as 32bit apps should work fine on a regular install of Win64. Second, that screenshot is showing a IIS configuration, unless this pinball is a web application, its not going to be the solution.

pretty darn sure this is the case here.

You're better off telling us what application you're trying to make work, and what you have already tried.

EDIT: i just noticed the name of the game is in the OP... derp, my mistake. went to google.. and apparently this game is all but unfindable because of an actual pinball machine with nearly the same name...

40 minutes ago, Levent said:

First of all, that error is usually a sign of that app being 16bit, as 32bit apps should work fine on a regular install of Win64. Second, that screenshot is showing an IIS configuration, unless this pinball is a web application, its not going to be the solution.

As matter of fact Microsoft released a plugin for Windows 10 that enables 16 bit support:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-16-bit-application-support-windows-10/

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

54 minutes ago, manikyath said:

pretty darn sure this is the case here.

You're better off telling us what application you're trying to make work, and what you have already tried.

EDIT: i just noticed the name of the game is in the OP... derp, my mistake. went to google.. and apparently this game is all but unfindable because of an actual pinball machine with nearly the same name...

yeah, its not a web app... name is Judge Dredd Pinball 

(c)1998 Pin-ball Games Ltd.

37 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

DOSBox?

But its a Windows game? 

i guess maybe it has a DOS mode?

17 minutes ago, Vishera said:

As matter of fact Microsoft released a plugin for Windows 10 that enables 16 bit support:

Cool, I'll try this... 

Umm, it actually says "16bit" coulda sworn it said 32 bit  🤔. Oof.

Well thanks, hopefully this works, i got a whole bunch of them (some are 32bit though i guess)

20220515_225908.thumb.jpg.02e9c2b8488456bb5a2ec1278d68e66f.jpg

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

32-bit applications will run natively in a 64-bit operating system with no issues.

It's more then likely that the installer is 16-bit which doesn't natively work in a 64-bit operating system unless you use something like OTVDM, but even that has a chance of not working.

The only other option is to run the game in a virtual machine with a version of windows that does natively support 16-bit applications

27 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Except that only works with 32-bit windows 10 not 64-bit.

1 hour ago, Levent said:

First of all, that error is usually a sign of that app being 16bit, as 32bit apps should work fine on a regular install of Win64

yeah, you're correct,  I'm doing a lot of things at once rn and it said "??" in the message which i took as 32bit lol... but it does say 16bit on top of the window so yeah...

3 minutes ago, demonix00 said:

OTVDM

What's that?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

56 minutes ago, demonix00 said:

Thanks! Well it worked. 

20220515_234919.thumb.jpg.987e4fd11b28f0026ac3b0e2930fceb7.jpg

Until it didnt.

20220515_235134.thumb.jpg.e7420758aedd17dc790a7197c42552c7.jpg

20220515_235219.thumb.jpg.952a62e107668d23be17546d65b9e2f9.jpg

I guess Im screwed?  Or maybe I need another DirectX version?  It said something about "DirectX 1.x" maybe during install, I dunno... ; p

edit: eh, this seems completely random... 

jack nicklaus 5 works

judge dredd nope

command & conquer nope 

turok works... (same installer as c & c seemingly) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

It might be that what elements were in DX1 have been removed or have been updated to a point where games that depend on it won't function correctly if at all, so to get them all working you're going to have to go down the VM route with an OS that would be more compatible like windows '95 or '98.

If you have windows 10 pro you can use the the included VM environment (though I think you have to enable it first) or you can use one of the VM programs that are available for free and as for the OS, you should be able to find links to download that (I won't mention where regardless of if microsoft has a don't care policy regarding any OS before XP since the rules do prohibit posting them).

16-bit emulation from Microsoft (NTVDM) wasn't designed for games.

If it works, great! But just something to keep in mind. So you must expect a hit and miss with it.

My recommendation is to:

• Check out GOG.com (Sister company of CD Projekt game studio) if your game is there. Yes, it means re-buying the game (at a deep discount). However those games have either been officially patched/updated to work with modern Windows, or they have made work with the approval of the creators and publisher to make it a reality. Typically DOSBox is used, but everything is tuned to run the game properly, but sometimes the game is actually patched.

• If that isn't an option, well you can try DOSBox yourself and see if you can make it work. Else you can go with the unofficial route, and you do this at your own risk, find a patch for the game to make it run on 32-bit Windows. You can sometimes find people with too much time in their hands to decompile the game executable and recompile it in 32-bit. Of course... you can get surprises like viruses, and other things of such. It is against EULA, and so against forum rules. And well, the game might run, but not run properly.

I didn't find Judge Dredd Pinball on GOG.com. 

Nor Command & Conquer... however, the game has an HD remake (and probably that is why it's not on GOG): https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/1213210/

13 hours ago, demonix00 said:

or you can use one of the VM programs that are available for free and as for the OS, you should be able to find links to download that

how difficult is it run a vm, as in how quick is it to start up? Do i have to restart the computer each time i want to use it etc? Also I think i need to set up the cpu differently?  its a laptop/ i3 6006u .

I have win95/98 discs... but not sure about activation?  i should have the keys, but no internet connection.

12 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

16-bit emulation from Microsoft (NTVDM) wasn't designed for games.

If it works, great! But just something to keep in mind. So you must expect a hit and miss with it.

I see, well the good part is it works for "some" games at least.

12 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

My recommendation is to:

• Check out GOG.com (Sister company of CD Projekt game studio) if your game is there. Yes, it means re-buying the game (at a deep discount). However those games have either been officially patched/updated to work with modern Windows, or they have made work with the approval of the creators and publisher to make it a reality. Typically DOSBox is used, but everything is tuned to run the game properly, but sometimes the game is actually patched.

• If that isn't an option, well you can try DOSBox yourself and see if you can make it work. Else you can go with the unofficial route, and you do this at your own risk, find a patch for the game to make it run on 32-bit Windows. You can sometimes find people with too much time in their hands to decompile the game executable and recompile it in 32-bit. Of course... you can get surprises like viruses, and other things of such. It is against EULA, and so against forum rules. And well, the game might run, but not run properly.

I didn't find Judge Dredd Pinball on GOG.com. 

Nor Command & Conquer... however, the game has an HD remake (and probably that is why it's not on GOG): https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/1213210/

Hmm, GOG isn't ideal, its just not the same, you know im trying to run the games i already have, its not like i know beforehand if i enjoy them, and GOG actually seems a bit expensive too, 5 bucks for very old games, Turok is 18 bucks! Well, at least that one works from my disc = )

Ive been checking archive org etc, just to try to find out whats compatible... and yeah, some games just need a cdfix/patch or something it would seem...

Wait, does DOSbox play windows games? i tried looking that up too, but im still confused about it...

If so that would be fun to try I guess.

Im not opposed to play some DOS games either,  but it appears i really enjoy old windows/  direct X games... it think they can actually look great, i was surprised by Jack Nicklaus 5 for example,  the trees and stuff look great (complicated controls though lol)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Wait, does DOSbox play windows games? i tried looking that up too, but im still confused about it...

It depends on what you mean by 'Windows games'. A huge, mostly the majority of games, back in 95 and 98 were made for MSDOS. You run them in Windows, but it ran in DOS.

Some games, had 2 modes, MSDOS and Windows. Windows one typically provided better visuals. Command & Conquer was such game, if memory serves correct.

So, it would depend on how you ran them back in the days, and what you expect. today to get.

30 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It depends on what you mean by 'Windows games'.

I guess i mean directX games. they just seem less crude than DOS games. I think the games i have on disc are all directX/windows games,  they dont say DOS on them.

34 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So, it would depend on how you ran them back in the days

thats the thing, i didn't, my pc was too weak for those typically,  i only played some DOS games like 4D / stunts or whatever. : )

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity