Cooling Ryzen 9 5900x in Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini under $100 with overclock

Cowboyk56
Go to solution Solved by BlaDoS,
15 hours ago, Cowboyk56 said:

I'm looking to upgrade my Cpu down the line to a 12+ core. I'm buying when next generation amd and intel chips comes out. Coming from a ryzen 5 3600, not a hot running chip. I don't have a good idea of what is needed to cool a high core count and 5.0 Ghz(preferably). What is a good under $100 dollar cooler or cheaper that will be able to cool a monster. 

You're going to struggle to find a decent cooler for under $100.

14 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Alright so first of all, 011 Mini keeps my 5800x and 3090 quite cool but its a case designed to be filled with fans. Primarily intaking at the bottom and exhausting out of the top. Its also a case designed around aesthetics and if its not filled with fans, one might think it looks a little awkward. 

I have 9 fans in my Mini with a 360 AIO in the top which does a wonderful job but there are no 360AIO's under $100 worth buying. You're also going to probably want to mount this so its setup for bottom to top airflow as again, that's kind of how the case is designed being that water cooling is its purpose. Truthfully, if air cooling was the goal, I wouldn't be using this case at all, it make very little sense. 

011 Mini max CPU cooler height: 170mm

Recommended Air Coolers to fully utilize that chip:

Scythe FUMA2 @ 154.5mm tall - $65

Noctua NH-D15 @ 165mm tall - $100

DeepCool AK620 @ 157mm tall - $65 (my pick)

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 @ 155mm - $41

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 @ 162mm - $90

The cheapest water cooler that I would recommend also happens to be one of the best but its still $10 over budget.

Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 - $110

There are a few more so if your favorite cooler isn't mentioned I'm sorry, these are just the big ones that I would choose from. 

Its worth also considering Silverstone's Permafrost series AIOs. Same pump as the galahad, but at a lot lower price.

13 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I have an ITX board so i've lowered the motherboard tray. I know some people that have ATX boards and some were able to use a top mounted 360 rad, some weren't, really comes down to the RAM slot placements on your particular board. 

With an ATX board you can't lower the motherboard tray. 

You can use offset brackets, of which Lian Li do sell official ones, or you can 3d print one.

I'm looking to upgrade my Cpu down the line to a 12+ core. I'm buying when next generation amd and intel chips comes out. Coming from a ryzen 5 3600, not a hot running chip. I don't have a good idea of what is needed to cool a high core count and 5.0 Ghz(preferably). What is a good under $100 dollar cooler or cheaper that will be able to cool a monster. 

Another case? 😄
I dont have any experience with that case, but by the look of it, it doesnt seem to well ventilated.

So either an AIO that you have on the outside, or making more holes in the case would be needed.

But like i said I dont have experience with that case so im just guessing here. 🙂

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Alright so first of all, 011 Mini keeps my 5800x and 3090 quite cool but its a case designed to be filled with fans. Primarily intaking at the bottom and exhausting out of the top. Its also a case designed around aesthetics and if its not filled with fans, one might think it looks a little awkward. 

I have 9 fans in my Mini with a 360 AIO in the top which does a wonderful job but there are no 360AIO's under $100 worth buying. You're also going to probably want to mount this so its setup for bottom to top airflow as again, that's kind of how the case is designed being that water cooling is its purpose. Truthfully, if air cooling was the goal, I wouldn't be using this case at all, it make very little sense. 

The cheapest water cooler that I would recommend also happens to be one of the best but its still $10 over budget.

There are a few more so if your favorite cooler isn't mentioned I'm sorry, these are just the big ones that I would choose from. 

For that CPU I would get Thermalright FC140 over PA120. You don’t want 6mm heat pipes.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

37 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

you said your able to fit a 360mm up at the top. Is that with a atx board?

5 minutes ago, Cowboyk56 said:

I have an ITX board so i've lowered the motherboard tray. I know some people that have ATX boards and some were able to use a top mounted 360 rad, some weren't, really comes down to the RAM slot placements on your particular board. 

thank you, I appreciate your insight

14 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

20 minutes ago, Cowboyk56 said:

My particular ATX board won't allow for a 360mm up top. However, there are these that I have on order. They offset the radiator so it should clear the rear IO.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1W8-014H-00011?Item=9SIAFSTFJ06653

I don't have them in hand yet, and I'm not home for a week to install them, but I'm going to be giving them a go.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

so with that attachment, I'd be able to make a 360mm aio fit in top mount. Question is, is the maintenance and cost and trouble worth it for 360mm aio or get a big air cooler. Looking to dabble in overclocking is the goal. 

I've only ever used AIO's for the past 12 years or so, I'm not aware of any maintenance other than normal dusting. 

That all being said because of that, that AK620 looks pretty cool and I'd be curious on building a system with it. GN's review of it was quite impressive.

You don’t need an AIO for 5900X, you can achieve peak performance with a top end heatsink such as FC140.

7 minutes ago, Cowboyk56 said:

so with that attachment, I'd be able to make a 360mm aio fit in top mount. Question is, is the maintenance and cost and trouble worth it for 360mm aio or get a big air cooler. Looking to dabble in overclocking is the goal. 

There's no maintenance to a CLC. If you went air cooler, you'd be looking at a Scythe Fuma 2 or NH D15. The Fuma is $92 USD and the ND D15 floats right around $100. For $11 or $25 more you get into an Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 360. The non RGB version is hard to find right now, but here's the RGB for $111. For the cost, it's hard to justify a dual tower. I just swapped my 12900k from a D15 to the 360mm Arctic.

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Liquid-Freezer-RGB-Multi-Compatible/dp/B08WRWNNZ9

Edit:

5 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I've only ever used AIO's for the past 12 years or so, I'm not aware of any maintenance other than normal dusting. 

That all being said because of that, that AK620 looks pretty cool and I'd be curious on building a system with it. GN's review of it was quite impressive.

I missed that review. At $60 that might be a pretty good air cooler! 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

FC140 is better than D15.. cheaper too.

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

There's no maintenance to a CLC. If you went air cooler, you'd be looking at a Scythe Fuma 2 or NH D15. The Fuma is $92 USD and the ND D15 floats right around $100. For $11 or $25 more you get into an Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 360. The non RGB version is hard to find right now, but here's the RGB for $111. For the cost, it's hard to justify a dual tower. I just swapped my 12900k from a D15 to the 360mm Arctic.

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Liquid-Freezer-RGB-Multi-Compatible/dp/B08WRWNNZ9

did you see a temperature drop, what TDP is that thing producing and what tasks are you running while seeing the temps. 

9 minutes ago, freeagent said:

FC140 is better than D15.. cheaper too.

Honestly, I forget about that one. Nothing against it, I just think you're one of the only people I've seen run it so it doesn't jump out in my mind if that makes sense. Out of curiosity for OP, with your +200 clocks, what are your temps like?

8 minutes ago, Cowboyk56 said:

did you see a temperature drop, what TDP is that thing producing and what tasks are you running while seeing the temps. 

Yes and no on the temperature drop. Like I said, I couldn't fit it in the top right away. With the D15, I didn't thermal throttle under day to day tasks. I've usually got Spotify, a web browser, Discord, and a game going. I was usually around 85-90C for that. That being said, as soon as I'd open Cinnebench, I'd throttle. Took maybe 30 seconds to hit it. With crappy airflow currently, the CPU does run about 5-10C cooler, but my GPU is running hotter(starved for air).

I'd feel more comfortable giving actual temps once I fix this mess.

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.24e6dec39a6bb29b9d5eab9ca902578a.jpeg

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I like the gaming rig, I think I'v got a lot more insight on this for my future upgrade. I'm going to keep this thread open for anyone that wants to say something and or give more insight. Thank you for your insight now and in the future. 

10 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Honestly, I forget about that one. Nothing against it, I just think you're one of the only people I've seen run it so it doesn't jump out in my mind if that makes sense. Out of curiosity for OP, with your +200 clocks, what are your temps like?

Max temps..

Capture2.thumb.PNG.b740c2438390115235939a79dd275e8f.PNG

15 hours ago, Cowboyk56 said:

14 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Its worth also considering Silverstone's Permafrost series AIOs. Same pump as the galahad, but at a lot lower price.

13 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

You can use offset brackets, of which Lian Li do sell official ones, or you can 3d print one.

7 hours ago, BlaDoS said:

I think I will do that, been told by you and other on this post about offsetting aio on top mount. Ill save some more before buying new components.  I'm gonna look into 3D print the offset. Might be fun

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 5:17 AM, Cowboyk56 said:

I think I will do that, been told by you and other on this post about offsetting aio on top mount. Ill save some more before buying new components.  I'm gonna look into 3D print the offset. Might be fun

Just a bit of follow up. I got my radiator mounted up with these brackets today. Worked great. Offset it enough I was able to put an Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360 up top with normal 25mm Noctua fans. 

Spoiler

FE944C90-2BD7-49B1-93E2-E4F0E60D4D80.thumb.jpeg.7f629aca9ab39a292775a9507ce023b8.jpeg

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

On 5/21/2022 at 6:14 PM, IkeaGnome said:

Just a bit of follow up. I got my radiator mounted up with these brackets today. Worked great. Offset it enough I was able to put an Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360 up top with normal 25mm Noctua fans. 

Reveal hidden contents

FE944C90-2BD7-49B1-93E2-E4F0E60D4D80.thumb.jpeg.7f629aca9ab39a292775a9507ce023b8.jpeg

I appreciate the follow up, can I ask for the link to the offset that you used. I got to say it again, pc looks amazing