Dust Filters and Fan Type.

Sarah9780

Hey everyone,

I'm running a pretty warm rig (3080 and 12700k) with a D15 in single fan mode. So far my temps have been really good with all my in game settings maxed! The problem is, I'm using a Lian Li Lancool II Mesh with 5 intakes and 3 exhaust, and I'm already noticing a lot of dust.

I picked up some Silverstone fan filters for my front and bottom intake that get here on the 19th, and I'm trying to decide if I should switch my fans to static pressure fans to pull through the filter. I really need to strike a balance between keeping this build cool and keeping some dust out. Is switching from my Arctic F12/14's to P12/14's necessary, and will is it likely to raise, lower, or make no difference to my temperatures? 

(I can never find a solid answer about this.)

If you're just adding dust filters, temps will increase. P12/P14's are newer and better but it's not necessary to swap fans.

How long has the system been running and where are you noticing dust?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you're just adding dust filters, temps will increase. P12/P14's are newer and better but it's not necessary to swap fans.

How long has the system been running and where are you noticing dust?

System was actually just built. I had it running all day yesterday and noticed dust on the gpu and around the floor of the case (easy to see on the GPU's shiny metal). I dust my house bi-weekly, but I've got two cats and a dog, so only so much I can do. 

I was only asking because the F12/14's are airflow focused while the P12/14's are static pressure. I wasn't sure if the airflow fan would struggle with the filter. I'm prepared for the temps to go up from the dust filters, but I think it may be best in the long run (I at least want to test it).

2 hours ago, Sarah9780 said:

I was only asking because the F12/14's are airflow focused

this is a common misundertsanding, yes the F12 vare airflow focused but actually the P12s still move more air, while beingm ore quiet, so going for F12s are not a good choice since P12s are so much better

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

If you want to put additional dust filters on the meshfilter front, that's gonna be too obstructive. And it's very likely the front is not the reason you get increased dust.

1. The case probably has openings through which air gets sucked it, without getting filtered.

2. Specifically around the GPU, the GPU fans are probably intaking air through the PCI-E brackets around the GPU and the mesh next to the GPU and you're getting dust in the case that way, because there's not enough static pressure when then PC is running + dust comes in when PC is turned off.

You need to tape all holes and entrances at the front part of the case which aren't the exact intake in front of fans (imagine cutting the case with a saw in the half from the top, anything towards the front needs to be blocked off). Air needs to only be able to move into intake fans.

Then you need to put smaller filters, and/or tape a bit of the back as well if dust keeps coming in there.

Arctic P12/P14 will make a decent difference compared to F12/F14 in regard to keeping a positive pressure to keep the air out when there's lots of secondary holes around the exhaust area. But if you tape it off, and reduce the amount of exhaust fans/exhaust area you could get away with F12/F14 (empty exhaust mesh/grill is comparable to an actual exhaust fan, in the way in changes the overall case pressure equation).

Additionally having a front top exhaust is counter-productive, and is what's probably causing a negative pressure pocket/vortex to form at the back and intake dust. In general the more fans you have in the case, the harder it gets to properly dust and noise proof it, and setup the airflow.

Just buy a metro datavac and don’t waste your time with filters if you care about performance.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14