XPS 13 Plus vs Asus Flow X13 (pre LTT X13 video)

I'll be going for either the XPS 13 plus or the Asus. Waiting to see the LTT video to help make a decision but what do you all think? I won't use it for gaming much if at all but if value for money the Asus is the better machine and has a dedicated gpu then so be it. Let me know what you think.

Laptop vs. Convertible.

Do you need the Convertible Feature? Then only the Asus makes sense.

You don't? Then why the Asus? 

It's not easy to recommend you one of 2 different Products, if we don't know what features you need, and what you're gonna do with it.

I'd say, if you don't need the convertible function, the XPS.

Since you didn't specify, that you need x86 Windows, i'd prefer a m1 Macbook. Has more than enough performance for everyday usage, and literaly double the battery life of the XPS - and probably Triple of the Asus.

If you spec out the XPS 13 a little bit, you're already in Macbook Pro 14.2" territory.

what do you need them for? Sounds like a laptop 1/3 or 1/4th the price can easily do what you need.

Also keep in mind the xps has VERY LIMITED IO and no headphone jack so enjoy the horrible bluetooth craphole that is windows if you need to use a headset.

6 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Laptop vs. Convertible.

Do you need the Convertible Feature? Then only the Asus makes sense.

You don't? Then why the Asus? 

It's not easy to recommend you one of 2 different Products, if we don't know what features you need, and what you're gonna do with it.

I'd say, if you don't need the convertible function, the XPS.

Since you didn't specify, that you need x86 Windows, i'd prefer a m1 Macbook. Has more than enough performance for everyday usage, and literaly double the battery life of the XPS - and probably Triple of the Asus.

If you spec out the XPS 13 a little bit, you're already in Macbook Pro 14.2" territory.

Fair points. I'm not fussed about convertible features, its not something I need as much. Comparing the two as 'laptops' and removing the convertable part of the equation I was interested to see what peoples opinions are. If the ASUS was noticeably faster at doing most things, most straining stuff would be premiere pro but nothing crazy, then Id lean towards that. Faster 13 inch for the money is the only real criteria if I'm being honest.

I wish the battery life of the Mac was the same for windows.... I need windows though. Partly because I know it so well and partly because of a lot of the programmes I use for work aren't yet supported on Mac ios.

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

what do you need them for? Sounds like a laptop 1/3 or 1/4th the price can easily do what you need.

Also keep in mind the xps has VERY LIMITED IO and no headphone jack so enjoy the horrible bluetooth craphole that is windows if you need to use a headset.

Use it for work which involves all sorts. Premiere pro, photo shop, web design, excel outlook etc. Premiere pro is the most demanding thing I'd be doing. I'm used to a 15 inch Surface Laptop 3. So want something faster and preferably 13 inch. Unfortunately Im that guy who will always go for the top spec (within reason) so will always go for the best available (and because business expense)

And the io is fine for me, I can connect to a second monitor and thats all that matters. Other than for my desktop at home I dont use a wired headset at all so I'm used to the shit show of windows bluetooth. 

Might wanna look at the asus g14 if you want something uber powerful that can actually cool itself (the xps 13 loses quite a bit of performance due to not being able to cool itself properly). If you want a device this size the flow x13 is the one to go for here as it can also at least function like a normal laptop with normal ports as a bonus :p.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Might wanna look at the asus g14 if you want something uber powerful that can actually cool itself (the xps 13 loses quite a bit of performance due to not being able to cool itself properly). If you want a device this size the flow x13 is the one to go for here as it can also at least function like a normal laptop with normal ports as a bonus :p.

this is all very true.... I'll be editing some 4k footage which would be nice to see back in full quality after the fact. (nothing crazy so both would cope fine.) Dont know if the Asus will have that as an option.

38 minutes ago, HCTPC said:

this is all very true.... I'll be editing some 4k footage which would be nice to see back in full quality after the fact. (nothing crazy so both would cope fine.) Dont know if the Asus will have that as an option.

The flow and g14 will both easily do that.