Reacting to OLD Computer Magazines

AdamFromLTT
52 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Your teacher was right in a manner of speaking. At the time, consumer Windows and many apps weren't really optimized for multiple cores. You had to get a Mac if you wanted a mainstreamish computer with good multi-core support... and even then, that meant buying a high-end Power Mac.

With that said, a computer science teacher should have known that most performance obstacles are temporary. I get a kick out of realizing that I could buy a 13-inch ultraportable laptop with a 14-core CPU that would likely run rings around the brawniest workstations from 2004.

In fairness, it's not as though the 2.4 GHZ of the Q6600 was a massive sacrifice compared to something like an E6700's 2.66 GHz. The 45nm Penryn chips definitely opened up that frequency gap though (Penryn-based C2Qs didn't run the clocks much higher, if at all than Conroe-based C2Qs).

I still chuckle a bit when I see my Task Manager read 4.7 GHz (i7-1165G7), on a ~$500 laptop. Even back in Haswell days, getting close to the 5 GHz mark via overclocking was a pretty lofty goal. It wasn't until fairly recent that you regularly see clocks exceed 4 GHz on stock chips. Now it's an easy mark for ultraportable laptop chips. Throw in that these modern chips can do way more work per clock (especially factoring in AVX), and it would be like putting Saitama (One-Punch Man) against Glass Joe (Punch-Out). And this is only a quad core!

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Back in those days I was reading Anandtech for hardware information and PC Gamer for my gaming fix.  I had a bunch of magazines from the early 2000's for awhile, but I eventually recycled them.

This was a great video and I agree: I'd love to see videos about weird tech like the Resorator. 

I remember subscribing to Maximum PC back in the days and every month I'll get one of their monthly magazine in the mail. Best part along with the articles is the CD it comes with, filled with game demos and utilities.

• The Bitchin Fast 3D with them Bungholio Marks some may seen floating around the web, it was originally an article in one of the Maximum PC issues.
  • Most memorable article to me, was them testing out different version of parental control software including the one built into Vista. The reason was, a lot of parental control software just came out and most are crap, so they did a IRL test to see which one works the best.
  • Most informative, useful article was Remote Desktop. Before any of the remote desktop software we have today. Back then it was just the built in remote desktop. Setting this up was not as easy as it seems. Most tutorial you see was done locally where 2 PCs are on the same network. When one PC is at home and the other is at Work, the steps with the 2 local PCs becomes useless. But they went the extra mile and provided the extra steps.
  • Dream Machines was something you want but can't afford at that time, but wish one day you will, so you start writing down all the components you want on a sheet of paper. I think mine was during that time was. A Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, Asus Deluxe or Black Pearl motherboard, 512MB to 1GB RAMBUS or DDR, 40 to 80GB IDE HDD or Seagate Cheetah SCSI in RAID 0. A DVD ROM, and CD ReWriter, 1.44 Floppy Drive. Iomega ZIP/Jaz drive. Creative Sound Blaster Audigy with the 5.25" media console,  ATi AGP video card, some Antec PSU and some case ranging from Antec Sonata, P180/Mini, Cooler Master Wave, Apevia X-Cruiser 420, to Lian Li case with a built in aquarium.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:
  • Dream Machines was something you want but can't afford at that time, but wish one day you will, so you start writing down all the components you want on a sheet of paper. I think mine was during that time was. A Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, Asus Deluxe or Black Pearl motherboard, 512MB to 1GB RAMBUS or DDR, 40 to 80GB IDE HDD or Seagate Cheetah SCSI in RAID 0. A DVD ROM, and CD ReWriter, 1.44 Floppy Drive. Iomega ZIP/Jaz drive. Creative Sound Blaster Audigy with the 5.25" media console,  ATi AGP video card, some Antec PSU and some case ranging from Antec Sonata, P180/Mini, Cooler Master Wave, Apevia X-Cruiser 420, to Lian Li case with a built in aquarium.

Remember tri-sli?  Where you made it in life if you had 3x8800 Ultras.  All us plebs were forced to buy an 8800 GT, which was probably the start of the golden age for huge value-for-money from parts.  Pair it with the E8400 where you could OC it like 50%.

Velociraptors in RAID 0.

Pretty much whatever Trubritar was doing in his "Crysis Cruncher" box was what I wished I could do "when I grow up"   (I think he went through a divorce or something and disappeared 10 years ago.  He'd have probably have Jayztwocents place right now if he stuck with it, or maybe even similar to LTT) :

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

On 5/2/2022 at 9:28 PM, Zodiark1593 said:

generally slower than higher clocked dual cores.

8.3 GHz dual core i5(4th Gen) vs 2.9 GHz 4 core i7 (4th gen), who wins?

18 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Remember tri-sli?  Where you made it in life if you had 3x8800 Ultras.  All us plebs were forced to buy an 8800 GT, which was probably the start of the golden age for huge value-for-money from parts.  Pair it with the E8400 where you could OC it like 50%.

Velociraptors in RAID 0.

Pretty much whatever Trubritar was doing in his "Crysis Cruncher" box was what I wished I could do "when I grow up"   (I think he went through a divorce or something and disappeared 10 years ago.  He'd have probably have Jayztwocents place right now if he stuck with it, or maybe even similar to LTT) :

Yeah, they sure made it in life with them 3x8800 Ultras, when majority of the time it doesn't work. SLI IMO never worked even up to now, so I never bother with it, and just use a singe video card. 8800GT was definitely the start of value for the money, and it's a great card back in its days.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

• 8 months later...

i7-12700K / RX6900XT all in a Xaser. 

3x 4TB HDD's, 2 NVME's, DVD Burner and USB3/C front panel

image.thumb.jpeg.a1e734924258bceb2d9d58d103b9acd1.jpeg

Unfortunately, the 90mm rear exhaust, and 80mm top fan were not enough to keep the whole show cool 😞

It's now in a Cosmos-S with 360mm AIO on the CPU.