How do I get better internet?

MrMcyeet

Ill preface this with a bit of personal info.

I currently live with my mother in an apartment in a not so populous town, so the internet options here aren't super great to begin with. Prior to living here, I was young enough that internet didn't really matter to me.

Whilst living here, Ive taken up PC gaming, and have built my own pc which I'm quite proud of (i7-8086k, rtx3080, 32gb memory).

The problem that I'm having is, and ill be blunt, the internet here *sucks*

I currently use my phone's hotspot, which thankfully has unlimited 'high speed' data, with a throttled hotspot.

I switched to using my hotspot around the time that covid first popped up.

Prior to this, I got internet through my apartment, and it just was not sufficient. Calling it internet is a stretch. During peak, and sometimes off peak times, it would fail to load simple websites, and gaming online was out of the question.

My problem, and the reason that I'm here, I want better.
When I play online games such as COD that I have a constant 200+ ping, and I find myself measuring game downloads in days rather than hours.

Granted, ive somewhat gotten used to the slow internet, but I want better.

My question is this, what are my options for internet?

I am really hoping for a magic bullet of sorts. I am fairly up-to-date with tech stuff, and I've gone down all of the roads that I know of to try and get better internet.

The biggest problem is that our landlord doesn't allow any modification to the building (Im 99% sure this is their exact wording) so things like getting fiber built to me and installing a satellite dish are out of the question, same for starlink, since afaik it requires stuff being installed onto the roof.

14 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Best you can do is a 4g router but thats about it.

Or 5G depending on the location (T-Mobile and Verizon in the US offer home internet on both 4G and 5G)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

See if any provider is able to give you something better on the existing lines, but yeah if not cellular is your only option.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

if there's only one internet provider, and it sucks, your only options are some 4G/5G solution, starlink, or a geostationary satalite internet connection (latency is much many slows on these, talking ~700ms)

if there's multiple providers, look into any ones which have a guaranteed minimum speed, and go for that one.

With radio transmission (4g/5g/wifi) you can never get a stable low ping.

I think having a fibre gonna have very minimal damage to the building, you can use a double tape wire clamp to replace nail clamp, without any penetration to the wall.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 hours ago, MrMcyeet said:

My question is this, what are my options for internet?

Cellular internet like you have been using. If where you live is anything like the US, most apartment buildings have some type of agreement with the ISP which prevents other ISP's from entering the building. So you have to look at a wireless solution. You already stated satellite is not an option. Most WISP's (Non cellular wireless) will likely need to install some dish for communication so they are out. Cellular is your only option. See if your provider offers some kind of home internet option. Like others have stated T Mobile and Verizon have stated offing options in the US. T Mobile provider "Unlimited" data, with potentially your data being deprioritized, BUT from what I have read, T Mobile home intenet has the LOWEST priority across their network. But many have used these services and say they are acceptable. That being said, many Cellular providers use CGNAT which means you will not be able to do any port forwarding and that can cause problems in some games. Also latency is going to be higher. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.