Ethernet socket/home network wiring

Athirin
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
2 minutes ago, Athirin said:

Thanks. 

The sockets are shielded (according to their packaging), but the wiring instructions just say to "prepare the shielding". There's nothing about a ground/9th wire.

The sockets are cat6a sockets according to the packaging/labelling

Should I just cut the 9th/ground wire at the entry to the socket then, or tie it around the other twisted pairs slightly before cutting?

2036932804_networksocketinstructions.thumb.jpg.f6e8886b43362f60d22e090fccad6638.jpg

Looks like the clamp that goes over the cable is the grounding point. For shielding, you typically fold it back over the cable so it can make contact with the grounding point. I'd assume for a grounding wire, you'd wrap it around the cable, then make sure the clamp makes contact with the cable when you tighten it down.

Hi.

I'm trying to install some wired ethernet from mat router to my desk, with a switch half-way along and using solid-core cat6 ftp cables and wall-mounted network sockets at the entrance/exit of the router/switch/computer (see diagram). However, this is my first time wiring ethernet sockets, and I have a couple of questions. 

The idea is that a the bulk cable that I have will cover the distances, with the network sockets at each end. The router/switch and my computer will be connected to the sockets with cat6/6a patch cables. 

My first question is whether I should use any cross-over wiring at any point in the system for the wall sockets (we've got fibre to the house, in theory with gigabit internet if that makes a difference)?

Second, the cable that I have to go between the sockets has a 9th copper wire in it separate from the twisted pairs which I presume is used as part of the shielding. Should I cut this away for the part of the cable inside the socket (there doesn't seem to be anywhere for it to go inside the socket)? 

IMG_0579.thumb.jpg.f0b9316e4bacc7dd6a8b5299c6b9570b.jpg709420255_Homenetworkplan.png.f6760ed8435bd0588f1b9cd10ad8530e.png

You don't need cross-over on anything remotely modern, so don't worry about that. Just pick either TIA 568A or B and stick with it.

Are your sockets shielded? I've never seen that type before so not sure how they wire up. I'd check the instructions that come with them to see if they detail how to wire up shielded cables. If they're not, you can remove the grounding wire and it will just function as normal UTP/FTP without shielding, which is fine for most home use.

Do bear in mind that a CAT6 cable is likely thicker, so if its only a CAT5e connector it might be harder to crimp it down firmly.  There's also some risk the ground left floating could act as an antenna, causing interference.  So its generally not recommended to use shielded cables unless they are grounded at one end.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Thanks. 

19 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Are your sockets shielded? I've never seen that type before so not sure how they wire up. I'd check the instructions that come with them to see if they detail how to wire up shielded cables. If they're not, you can remove the grounding wire and it will just function as normal UTP/FTP without shielding, which is fine for most home use.

The sockets are shielded (according to their packaging), but the wiring instructions just say to "prepare the shielding". There's nothing about a ground/9th wire.

14 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Do bear in mind that a CAT6 cable is likely thicker, so if its only a CAT5e connector it might be harder to crimp it down firmly.  There's also some risk the ground left floating could act as an antenna, causing interference.  So its generally not recommended to use shielded cables unless they are grounded at one end.

Should I just cut the 9th/ground wire at the entry to the socket then, or tie it around the other twisted pairs slightly before cutting?

2036932804_networksocketinstructions.thumb.jpg.f6e8886b43362f60d22e090fccad6638.jpg

2 minutes ago, Athirin said:

Thanks. 

Looks like the clamp that goes over the cable is the grounding point. For shielding, you typically fold it back over the cable so it can make contact with the grounding point. I'd assume for a grounding wire, you'd wrap it around the cable, then make sure the clamp makes contact with the cable when you tighten it down.