Recommendation for an Ultrawide

Patchouli

Hello,

I curently own a DELL U2515H 1440p (side monitor) and a Samsung C27HG70 1440p (gaming monitor).

The Samsung is having some issues that cause vertical lines to appear when the monitor is turned on, they started to appear a month after the warranty expired (lucky me...).

Still tried to contact Samsung about it and their reply was that I would need to send it back to them to get it fixed, all at my expenses. 

I waited more then 20min yesterday before the line would finally clear up, which got me fed up and I started looking for a replacement

After some research the Dell S3422DWG 34" seems to come up as one of the best for gaming in my price range. But I would rather have a second opinion since I've been out of the game for a bit.

• My budget is around 500e
  • I live in France
  • My gpu is a RX 5700XT
  • +144hz (even if my gpu can't handle it now, I hope the new screen will outlive it)

I also plan to keep my U2515H for a side monitor but with an ultrawide would that be necessary or even possible with my GPU ?

Thank you in advance 🙂

I would warn that 1440p ultrawide is basically as hard to run as a 4k monitor so I would keep that in mind and also that ultrawide monitors aren't always supported for games so you might not be able to make full use of your monitor for those games. As far as side monitors go they don't really put much strain on the gpu and hinder performance. That being said a side monitor next to a 34inch ultrawide might be a tough squeeze on alot of desks so keep that in mind. Also cable lengths for to connect your monitor to the gpu might be an issue as well. I know even with simply 2 16by9 monitors I have the cables stretched pretty close to the max for the further monitor. I would imagine if I had one that was an ultrawide I would run out of cable length to connect to further away monitor. 

I see, thank you for the heads up.

How would an unsupported game look like on an ultrawide ? Does it just display it like a 16/9 with black bars on the sides ?

My desk is pretty big and I still have room on both side of my monitors right now, I was thinking of putting the second monitor on portait mode to gain some room.

9 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I would warn that 1440p ultrawide is basically as hard to run as a 4k monitor so I would keep that in mind

That explains why Halo stutters a bit on my RX5700. 

8 hours ago, Patchouli said:

How would an unsupported game look like on an ultrawide ? Does it just display it like a 16/9 with black bars on the sides ?

Yeah you just get black bars on the side. I find that a lot of games support the resolution however, at least the ones I play. 

8 hours ago, Patchouli said:

My desk is pretty big and I still have room on both side of my monitors right now,

IMG_0294.thumb.png.0bbb643064aba77d20a64290cc1394f4.png

Heres my dual ultrawide setup. 34" 1440p and a 25" 1080p. Kinda considering upgrading the 1080 one to a 1440p. Its not an addiction, I swear. The only thing is my monitor is probably more than your budget, and its only 60hz. I went for an IPS panel. I did look at the specs of the Dell that you posted and it seems fairly legit. Ive never experienced a VA panel so I cant speak for that. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

12 hours ago, Donut417 said:

That explains why Halo stutters a bit on my RX5700. 

Yeah you just get black bars on the side. I find that a lot of games support the resolution however, at least the ones I play. 

IMG_0294.thumb.png.0bbb643064aba77d20a64290cc1394f4.png

Heres my dual ultrawide setup. 34" 1440p and a 25" 1080p. Kinda considering upgrading the 1080 one to a 1440p. Its not an addiction, I swear. The only thing is my monitor is probably more than your budget, and its only 60hz. I went for an IPS panel. I did look at the specs of the Dell that you posted and it seems fairly legit. Ive never experienced a VA panel so I cant speak for that. 

Yeah ultrawide support is much better than it use to be but it still sucks when you look forward to playing a game and it doesn't support your monitor resolution. It's why I always bring it up so people are aware that not all games support the resolution and they might want to look at the games they play to see if ultrawide resolution is supported. I mean worse case scenario it will run at 1440p normal resolution. Also I feel like have a u shape desk makes fitting monitors much easier. I personally have a desk that essentially is just a rectangle so it would be hard to reasonably fit an ultrawide with other monitors on the side especially without buying longer displayport cables.