Why do some phones have 5 signal bars and some 4?

AleksiDj73

I've been questioning this for a very long time and i've never understood why is that. I own the Samsung Galaxy A71 and it has 4 signal bars (not WiFi) and for some people on different countries (or even same country as me which in this case is Greece) have the same phone but with 5 signal bars, why is that? Does that have to do with the country, the SIM card, the SIM card companies, the tower cells, the phone itself being 5G or something? Why don't all phones have 4 or 5 signal bars as a standard?

Thanks for your help!

Just the softwheres way of showing signal strength. ( as far as I know )

It varies from device to device.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

That's up to the whims of the graphic designer who put the phone's UI together.

"5 bar" phones don't necessarily get better signal than "4 bar" phones, they just break the signal strength indicator down in a slightly more granular way. (Five bars representing 20% each instead of four 25% bars.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

6 hours ago, SignatureSigner said:

Just the softwheres way of showing signal strength. ( as far as I know )

It varies from device to device.

Okay okay i understand, thanks for your reply!

5 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

That's up to the whims of the graphic designer who put the phone's UI together.

"5 bar" phones don't necessarily get better signal than "4 bar" phones, they just break the signal strength indicator down in a slightly more granular way. (Five bars representing 20% each instead of four 25% bars.)

I mean, the way they do it is alright with the 4 signal bars but tbh they should just put 4 signal bars on all phones and not to some of them 5 and to some others 4 as it's weird.

Personally though 5 bars is better than 4 bars cuz you get a better idea of how good/bad your signal is but ah well, it is what it is

5 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

I mean, the way they do it is alright with the 4 signal bars but tbh they should just put 4 signal bars on all phones and not to some of them 5 and to some others 4 as it's weird.

Personally though 5 bars is better than 4 bars cuz you get a better idea of how good/bad your signal is but ah well, it is what it is

people have been telling apple to put usbc on the iphone like virtually every other phone on the market and have they listened? no

Same principle and tbh most people don't care.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

2 hours ago, SignatureSigner said:

people have been telling apple to put usbc on the iphone like virtually every other phone on the market and have they listened? no

Same principle and tbh most people don't care.

According to news laws of the EU they say that they may standardize USB C on all phones sooo

9 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

According to news laws of the EU they say that they may standardize USB C on all phones sooo

MagSafe 4 lyfe

3 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

MagSafe 4 lyfe

It's very inefficient though, and good luck with data transfer

elephants

4 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

It's very inefficient though, and good luck with data transfer

75% is alright. Never heard of Wi-Fi I take it? 

19 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

75% is alright. Never heard of Wi-Fi I take it? 

Wi-Fi is a wireless protocol designed around data transfer. MagSafe is a wireless protocol designed around charging a device.

They're two different things.

Ever charged a phone with Wi-Fi before?

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Wi-Fi is a wireless protocol designed around data transfer. MagSafe is a wireless protocol designed around charging a device.

Watch Apple make a MagSafe-to-USB-C cable, then an OS update makes Macs and iPhones automatically start a peer-to-peer WiFi connection when they're plugged into each other.

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

Watch Apple make a MagSafe-to-USB-C cable, then an OS update makes Macs and iPhones automatically start a peer-to-peer WiFi connection when they're plugged into each other.

So AirDrop, basically?

What's the point of the USB-C cable if the phones are sharing data via Wi-Fi?

Sorry OP that we kinda hijacked your topic

elephants

4 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

So AirDrop, basically?

That's the joke. Hypothetical Apple would overengineer a way to make you feel like you're plugging your phone in and transferring data over the cable.

6 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

Ever charged a phone with Wi-Fi before?

You’ve never moved data around through wifi? Not that you need wired data transfer that much anyway 

8 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

So AirDrop, basically?

What's the point of the USB-C cable if the phones are sharing data via Wi-Fi?

Sorry OP that we kinda hijacked your topic

I don't really care lol, the lads solved my question so you lot can continue😂