Best solutions for adding wifi/bluetooth to PC build?

Hi,

I want to add wifi and bluetooth to a pc build.  It seems to me like there are two options:

1) USB dongle

2) PCIE card

What are the pro's and con's of each option?  I also saw these wifi/bluetooth chips that they use for laptops; is there anyway I can use it in the m.2 slot on the motherboard?

Thanks in advance; I'd also appreciate any specific product recommendations.

26 minutes ago, scarflicter said:

What are the pro's and con's of each option?

PCIe fits neatly inside the PC but takes up a bit more space, Bluetooth will be external and consumes a USB port, but is often smaller. You can get similar sized antenna on either, depending on what you're comparing.

26 minutes ago, scarflicter said:

I also saw these wifi/bluetooth chips that they use for laptops; is there anyway I can use it in the m.2 slot on the motherboard?

Unfortunately, this m.2 Bluetooth device is not keyed the same way as an M.2 SSD. It wouldn't fit inside that motherboard's slot. I believe WiFi and Bluetooth devices like that are key E, while a storage device is B or M. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I'd go PCIe card personally, but the BT requires an internal USB 2.0 header for most of those cheaper cards which are just carriers that adapt a laptop card to desktop slot use. I've used them in a couple builds, they're as good as whatever card is in the adapter. Every USB dongle I've ever used has been junk, the only reliable thing about them is how often they drop signal.

You could get a Intel 7260 or 9260 card and a PCIe adapter for about $30 or less if you don't mind long shipping from China. You just usually have to buy the two parts separate.

I use those nano USB WiFi cards depending on the PC build. For 85% of builds, I don't need to maximize speed, but rather mobility, flexibility, and other factors. If this is your primary system where speed is king, go for the PCIe WiFi card.

I have used this: https://www.newegg.com/netgear-a6210-100pas-usb-3-0/p/N82E16833122618?Item=N82E16833122618&Description=wifi antenna&cm_re=wifi_antenna-_-33-122-618-_-Product&quicklink=true

As a external Wifi antenna along with a 30 ft USB 3.0 cable to help a laptop that I otherwise couldn't move get within range of a Wifi signal. Its small and with enough cable and creative routing you can put your antenna just about anywhere needed to get a reliable signal. (Within the limits of USB 3.0 cable lengths of course)

As for bluetooth I have to ask why you would need such a thing on a desktop?

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

Dongle: 

-cheaper

-sticks out

-limited antenna

pcie card: 

-more expensive

-takes a slot

-Can use just about any antenna that will fit the connectors

m.2 E key

-Only available if there is a slot on the motherboard

-splits advantages and disadvantages of dongle and pcie card

external usb or ethernet:

-most expensive generally though cost can be zero if you’ve already got one.

-can be placed in an advantageous location

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

23 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

I have used this: https://www.newegg.com/netgear-a6210-100pas-usb-3-0/p/N82E16833122618?Item=N82E16833122618&Description=wifi antenna&cm_re=wifi_antenna-_-33-122-618-_-Product&quicklink=true

As a external Wifi antenna along with a 30 ft USB 3.0 cable to help a laptop that I otherwise couldn't move get within range of a Wifi signal. Its small and with enough cable and creative routing you can put your antenna just about anywhere needed to get a reliable signal. (Within the limits of USB 3.0 cable lengths of course)

As for bluetooth I have to ask why you would need such a thing on a desktop?

Just remember to get a repeater cable! Only ethernet (at consumer level) can go up to 100ft without need for a repeater.

EDIT: 100 METERS, not feet

3 minutes ago, SirShanova said:

Just remember to get a repeater cable! Only ethernet (at consumer level) can go up to 100ft without need for a repeater.

100 meters, but in reality 90 meters is a more sound number to follow.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

100 meters, but in reality 90 meters is a more sound number to follow.

100 meters??? Fr?

Edit: Holy crap!!! I never realized this! Damn, thank you!

Just now, SirShanova said:

100 meters??? Fr?

Yes. 328 feet is the maximum cable length for ethernet before a repeater of some kind is needed. Farther than that there's no guarantee of quality. In the real world about 250-300 feet is the most you'll go. It's heavily dependent on the building and it's other devices and how the cabling is run. Lay a 300ft coil of cable on top of a fluorescent ballast and you'll probably have a bad time.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

I'd go PCIe card personally, but the BT requires an internal USB 2.0 header for most of those cheaper cards which are just carriers that adapt a laptop card to desktop slot use. I've used them in a couple builds, they're as good as whatever card is in the adapter. Every USB dongle I've ever used has been junk, the only reliable thing about them is how often they drop signal.

You could get a Intel 7260 or 9260 card and a PCIe adapter for about $30 or less if you don't mind long shipping from China. You just usually have to buy the two parts separate.

I'd always go for an Intel AX200 or AX210, I feel they have less issues than older models.  When they're optimising for faster speeds they also have to use amplifiers with less noise, so it benefits even when connecting to older WiFi versions.  Plus you're getting the latest Bluetooth spec with the AX210.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Thank you everyone for the responses.

Reason for adding wifi/bluetooth functionality to the pc build is to mainly support a bluetooth headset and controller for gaming.

The motherboard I mentioned also does support a CNVI upgrade kit, such as this and this, I believe.

"Intel CNVi Ready: Supports Intel CNVi Wi-Fi module, IEEE802.11 AC wave2"

But instead of using AC wifi, could I use this AX kit

But if I can't do this, I think going PCIE would be best based on the responses here.  Portability is not really a factor.  I just want to make sure that there would be seamless connection with speakers, headsets, or a controller.

On 4/25/2022 at 12:48 PM, scarflicter said:

Reason for adding wifi/bluetooth functionality to the pc build is to mainly support a bluetooth headset and controller for gaming.

The motherboard I mentioned also does support a CNVI upgrade kit, such as this and this, I believe.

But if I can't do this, I think going PCIE would be best based on the responses here.  Portability is not really a factor.  I just want to make sure that there would be seamless connection with speakers, headsets, or a controller.

If you just want a Bluetooth headset there are Bluetooth only dongles so small they barely stick out of the machine at all.  If I had more USB ports than I need that is the way I would go.  Did even. I’ve got two.  They’re cheap.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

20 hours ago, scarflicter said:

No, it will only support AC CNVi cards unfortunately.  But like you said, nothing to stop you going for an AX210 based PCIe card instead which will get you the latest bluetooth and better range/reliability than a USB dongle.

Although if all you want is Bluetooth then maybe just an AX200 if its cheaper.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 4/25/2022 at 2:42 PM, Bombastinator said:

If you just want a Bluetooth headset there are Bluetooth only dongles so small they barely stick out of the machine at all.  If I had more USB ports than I need that is the way I would go.  Did even. I’ve got two.  They’re cheap.

Ok, thanks.  I think front IO is a bit limited, but will consider it.

On 4/26/2022 at 10:36 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

No, it will only support AC CNVi cards unfortunately.  But like you said, nothing to stop you going for an AX210 based PCIe card instead which will get you the latest bluetooth and better range/reliability than a USB dongle.

Although if all you want is Bluetooth then maybe just an AX200 if its cheaper.

Ok, thanks so much for letting me know.  I'm surprised that there are not many major-name brands for these wifi/bluetooth PCIe cards; I see a lot of brands I haven't heard of for PC parts.

4 hours ago, scarflicter said:

Ok, thanks.  I think front IO is a bit limited, but will consider it.

Don’t even need it in front.  Bluetooth signal bounces good.  Literally any USB port except maybe a 1.0 or 1.1.  Those are only on old machines though