I need some help with overclocking my cpu AMD Phenom II X6 1090T to 4.0GHz if possible my motherboard is ASUS M4A87TD EVO please help me

You set the Cpu multiplier to 20.... leave the cpu voltage on auto and run stability testing. Some of these 1090T's did not need much increased v-core to sustain 4ghz. Starts getting hairy around 4.4ghz, if you have the cooling capacity.

Do you have a beefy cooler? Because you are not gonna hit 4ghz with stock AM3 cooler. These chips cant handle high temperatures.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

You set the Cpu multiplier to 20.... leave the cpu voltage on auto and run stability testing. Some of these 1090T's did not need much increased v-core to sustain 4ghz. Starts getting hairy around 4.4ghz, if you have the cooling capacity.

Alright ill see how its gonna go thx for replying

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Do you have a beefy cooler? Because you are not gonna hit 4ghz with stock AM3 cooler. These chips cant handle high temperatures.

I have a pretty good cooler ngl it always kept the cpu under 36°C when im playing on high graphs n stuff

Just now, Ruvzyvat said:

I have a pretty good cooler ngl it always kept the cpu under 36°C when im playing on high graphs n stuff

That doesnt mean anything. What about your temperatures with prime95? intel burn test? How are you reading the temperatures?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

That doesnt mean anything. What about your temperatures with prime95? intel burn test? How are you reading the temperatures?

Im reading it with speedfan and i max out the speed of it aswell just in case i need it the cooler isnt a basic one 

Just now, Ruvzyvat said:

Im reading it with speedfan and i max out the speed of it aswell just in case i need it the cooler isnt a basic one 

I benchmarked it a lot of times and the temperature rised only 1°C

The 1090T is a pretty decent chip and typically runs pretty cool. The less voltage you need to use the better. 

Just now, Guest 5150 said:

The 1090T is a pretty decent chip and typically runs pretty cool. The less voltage you need to use the better. 

I heard its really easy to overclock n such but is it normal for it to take time to start my desktop? Havent really overclocked in my life only watched youtube videos of others doing it

14 minutes ago, Ruvzyvat said:

Could you screenshot temps after running prime95 for ~5 mins?

Board is prob bios crippled, i can make an ebb mod for it for higher fsb but dont expect too much

For safe volt since its 45nm id just follow intel spec for 45nm which is 1.6v, i doubt youll get anywhere near that though unless your cooling is extremely beefy, dont go above 2v ddr3, and since nb is 65nm dont go over 1.7v

For oc just crank the fsb as high as itll go then raise multi, higher fsb should increase performance so thats why i dont suggest oc purely with multi

4 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Board is prob bios crippled, i can make an ebb mod for it for higher fsb but dont expect too much

For safe volt since its 45nm id just follow intel spec for 45nm which is 1.6v, i doubt youll get anywhere near that though unless your cooling is extremely beefy, dont go above 2v ddr3, and since nb is 65nm dont go over 1.7v

For oc just crank the fsb as high as itll go then raise multi, higher fsb should increase performance so thats why i dont suggest oc purely with multi

Ill take a pic of it instead of ss if u dont mind 

32 minutes ago, Ruvzyvat said:

Yeah unless you have a 480mm rad there, that is not possible. You are either not reading correct values or your readouts are wrong.

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

Yeah unless you have a 480mm rad there, that is not possible. You are either not reading correct values or your readouts are wrong.

Yeah you're right i just saw that the cpu temp is 50°C and ive been reading the gpu temp all this time because i tought it was the temp from speedfan. Sorry dudes i really did tought it was the cpu temp.

25 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

7m have passed since prime95 and the temp is 49°C to 50°C

20220423_194359.jpg

43 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

@Ruvzyvat

DO NOT dump 1.6V into the Phenom II X6 1090T.

For 4.0 GHz, it DOES NOT need that much voltage.

If you need that voltage to get 4.0 GHz, you have a REALLY leaky piece of silicon.

A lot of software had issues properly reading CPU temperatures for AM3/AM3+ CPUs.

Because the temperature sensor was in the socket, and not within the CPU.

The IDLE temperatures were the most inaccurate.

At the time, HWMonitor and HWinfo gave temperature readings that made sense.

As for overclocking the CPU.

The easiest would be the adjust just the CPU multiplier -- and you can do that.

To get the highest overclock, you would want to use a combination of both CPU Bus AND CPU Multplier.

I owned a Phenom II X6 1090T from 2010 ~ 2013 (though I still have it in my display case).

Paired with an ASUS ROG Crosshair IV Formula 890FX motherboard.... and later with a Crosshair V Formula 990FX board when I transitioned to a FX-8350.

I was able to run 4.0 GHz with ~1.45V on the CPU Core Voltage.

4.1 GHz pushed the voltage up ot 1.48V.

I've done 4.0 GHz / 4.1 GHz using just the CPU Bus (250 MHz X 16 = 4.0 GHz), and just with the CPU Multiplier (200 MHz x 20.5 =  4.1 GHz)

Spoiler

bvCc1pu.png

D0SUuQ8.png

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

7 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

@Ruvzyvat

If you need that voltage to get 4.0 GHz, you have a REALLY leaky piece of silicon.

A lot of software had issues properly reading CPU temperatures for AM3/AM3+ CPUs.

Because the temperature sensor was in the socket, and not within the CPU.

The IDLE temperatures were the most inaccurate.

At the time, HWMonitor and HWinfo gave temperature readings that made sense.

As for overclocking the CPU.

The easiest would be the adjust just the CPU multiplier -- and you can do that.

To get the highest overclock, you would want to use a combination of both CPU Bus AND CPU Multplier.

I owned a Phenom II X6 1090T from 2010 ~ 2013 (though I still have it in my display case).

Paired with an ASUS ROG Crosshair IV Formula 890FX motherboard.... and later with a Crosshair V Formula 990FX board when I transitioned to a FX-8350.

I was able to run 4.0 GHz with ~1.45V on the CPU Core Voltage.

4.1 GHz pushed the voltage up ot 1.48V.

I've done 4.0 GHz / 4.1 GHz using just the CPU Bus (250 MHz X 16 = 4.0 GHz), and just with the CPU Multiplier (200 MHz x 20.5 =  4.1 GHz)

Reveal hidden contents

bvCc1pu.png

D0SUuQ8.png

Ill use the same like you and see if itll work. Sorry for wasting everybodys time here but im getting a hell a lot of fps drops recently and im on low graphics and everything may aswell try to overclock it till i start working in the summer

1 minute ago, Ruvzyvat said:

Ill use the same like you and see if itll work. Sorry for wasting everybodys time here but im getting a hell a lot of fps drops recently and im on low graphics and everything may aswell try to overclock it till i start working in the summer

Keep in mind, you are running a lower-end motherboard, so keep an eye on temperatures and voltages.

Your motherboard use a 8+1 phase VRM with NO heatsinks to cool them.

The ASUS Crosshair IV Formula that I used has 8+2 phase VRM, and HAS cooling.

Uhh.... some things to keep in mind....what I can remember:

• Keep your HT Link Speed at stock, or close to stock....so 2000 MHz ~ 2200 MHz. Running that too high will introduce stability issues
    • The word was, never go above 2200 MHz

• Increasing your CPU-NB frequency will improve your memory (RAM) performance
    • I had my CPU-NB running at 3000 MHz, but to get that, I had to tweak the CPU-NB voltage (I was also playing around the NB and SB voltage, though)
    • 2700 MHz ~ 3000 MHz was the ideal range, but as you increase the CPU OC, it will be harder to keep a high CPU-NB frequency stable
    • Recommended safe CPU-NB voltage is around 1.3V, lower the better, only use as much as you need to keep things stable

• Keep the CPU Voltage below 1.5V if possible
    • Given the motherboard you are using, I would NOT try to push that far anyways

• Use the appropriate Load-Line Calibration setting that will give you the most stable voltage
    • Use an LLC setting too high, and our CPU voltage will spike higher
    • Too Low, and the CPU voltage can dip lower, making the CPU unstable

• You typically don't need to mess around with voltages like CPU-VDDA, NB, NB 1.8V, SB
    • Unless you are tying to push RAM overclocks
    • And trying to squeeze every last MHz out of your CPU

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

34 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Thats max voltage not the voltage you need for 4ghz, good god how the hell do you interpret max voltage as voltage needed for 4ghz?

Been awhile since ive come across someone that interprets it like that so it was gonna happen eventually anyways

For safe volts since its a lowend board i doubt even maxing out the volts will kill anything, i suggest looking at max volt setting for boards like m4a89 then -0.4v for a safe volt, my p6t lets me set 2v cpu and 2.4v ddr3 if i enable the 0v headers so pretty accurate way to get safe volt since 1.6v cpu and 2v ddr3 is fine for maximum safe volt, i doubt youll need that high anyway so push them as far as you need to, conservative = rip overclock so dont be overly conservative

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Thats max voltage not the voltage you need for 4ghz, good god how the hell do you interpret max voltage as voltage needed for 4ghz?

Been awhile since ive come across someone that interprets it like that so it was gonna happen eventually anyways

For safe volts since its a lowend board i doubt even maxing out the volts will kill anything, i suggest looking at max volt setting for boards like m4a89 then -0.4v for a safe volt, my p6t lets me set 2v cpu and 2.4v ddr3 if i enable the 0v headers so pretty accurate way to get safe volt since 1.6v cpu and 2v ddr3 is fine for maximum safe volt, i doubt youll need that high anyway so push them as far as you need to, conservative = rip overclock so dont be overly conservative

Aiite good to know that 

Actually there are some exceptions that need -0.5v for safe volt, for me on x58 its qpi volt being 1.55v max safe and board lets me set upto 2v so beware of that

Also on cpu nb volt if its just nb volt it should tolerate atleast 1.6v due to nb being 65nm and seeing ppl reccomending not over 1.6/1.7v daily volt for p45 (also 65nm) but if its basically the equivalent of qpi volt on x58 then proceed with caution (treat it like the latter)

Usually you don't need much over 1.40v's to hit 4.0 and be stable from a Thuban.
The less voltage you can use the better since these chips DO run hot under load, my 1100T showed me that long ago.

And I will say if you're needing 1.6v's to get 4.0 out of the chip it's not leaky, it's a shit-chip.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.