Whats the best tech/computer advice you've ever gotten?

IAmNik

Curious to hear answers! So what's been the best advice you've ever gotten regarding tech and/or computers?

turn off updates. got that advice in like the early 2000s at some point ,thought nothing of it at the time but totally reframed the way I thought about whats most important in regards to a machines functionality.

I've gotten a lot of advice about not accepting old hardware I'm offered. It's gone ignored. 

Best advice I have taken is to get into programming as well as hardware, even basic skills have helped occasionally when troubleshooting

18 minutes ago, IAmNik said:

Curious to hear answers! So what's been the best advice you've ever gotten regarding tech and/or computers?

When it won't post, reseat ram, check input on monitor, etc. Easy, common fixes

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

16 minutes ago, ABigIdiot said:

Thoroughly research before you do something. I didn't listen and it cost me $250. 

I feel like this deserves a back story lol

7 minutes ago, Ryan829 said:

When it won't post, reseat ram, check input on monitor, etc. Easy, common fixes

Definitely be surprised at how many little fixes are over looked while trouble shooting! Great advice!

24 minutes ago, emosun said:

turn off updates. got that advice in like the early 2000s at some point ,thought nothing of it at the time but totally reframed the way I thought about whats most important in regards to a machines functionality.

This is a good one!

All printers are inherently evil

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

16 minutes ago, sub68 said:

All printers are inherently evil

printer go brrrr

3 hours ago, IAmNik said:

I feel like this deserves a back story lol

I was building my first PC. I was told to watch videos on every step, but I remember being told, 'building a pc is easy'. So i thought, I got dis. I had an Ryzen 5 5600x, and when i went to install it, i thought, just to be safe, I'll look at the instructions. I noticed i was supposed to align the cpu with the corner arrow facing the socket arrow. The part I missed was lifting the little metal bar before hand. Fast forward to installing the cooler, I had apllied to much thermal paste and the cpu stuck to the cooler. Since it wasn't stuck in the socket, it bent right out with the pins. NOICE, BIG BRAIN TIME. Hence, username.

After i killed my one year old GTX 260 with heat, i got told to always check the airflow and do not put the CPU cooler towards the GPU. I had so many artifacts at the end and did not realize until the card died. 😞

"We are too poor to buy cheap things." My father when he wrangled every bit of his employee discount to get us a 1.4Ghz Pentium III computer with the best GPU Gateway offered at the time.

That rig lasted 10 years of gaming and various mostly poorly guided attempts at overclocking (Did get it to 2Ghz but got unstable after about a hour).

That mentality of looking at a computer as a long term investment has guided all of my builds even when it flies in the face of what is considered conventional wisdom.

Pay up front, get the best parts, and then live with those parts until you can make the next great leap. If you cheap out now then you will pay more to cheap out later and much more often.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

"A good start, is a restart."

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

I think that most of the advice i have learned myself, by trial and error (like proper reset of bios with battery out, dissassemble and reassembly if you have wierd problems)

But i think for me it was quality of Power supply, i used in the REALLY old days to run LC power cheapass 450-550 watt GIANT PSU´s because they were fairly silent, even have had 20% of them enter my house defective directly from the vendor but still used them.

I know i am not cutting edge right now, still running my old RM850 from when the RM850 was released so it is EXTREMELY old. 

16 hours ago, Hybris5112 said:

"We are too poor to buy cheap things." My father when he wrangled every bit of his employee discount to get us a 1.4Ghz Pentium III computer with the best GPU Gateway offered at the time.

That rig lasted 10 years of gaming and various mostly poorly guided attempts at overclocking (Did get it to 2Ghz but got unstable after about a hour).

That mentality of looking at a computer as a long term investment has guided all of my builds even when it flies in the face of what is considered conventional wisdom.

Pay up front, get the best parts, and then live with those parts until you can make the next great leap. If you cheap out now then you will pay more to cheap out later and much more often.

7 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

When buying on a budget get the best value not the cheapest 

Both of these.  Buy it and use it till it fries or it becomes impossibly choppy even at low settings.  Same reason why I tell people to buy 2160p monitors instead of 1440p.

Same reason why owning the same vehicle (daily driver) for 10 years is a solid economic value; you establish rapport and understand Mx needs and can plan appropriately.  So long as it gets from A to B, that's the important thing.

20 hours ago, ABigIdiot said:

Thoroughly research before you do something. I didn't listen and it cost me $250. 

p.s.

Research is super important too.  It's not enough to just approach a situation with a budget range--and ignore everything above your price limit.  You need to understand why there are things more expensive than your "going in game plan".  Sometimes you'll find or discover something that is actually a high priority for your own wants/needs--but you would not have been privy to...had you not researched it in more depth.

Case in point for me is ceiling fans.  Sure, you can get a cheap, contractor-grade $80 fan at Home Depot and just fire/forget.  But there's a reason why some of those are $500 or more.  LED fixtures weren't common (yet) when I had bought mine--and that was a bit of an upcharge in itself, just to get rid of the old edison-base bulbs that were still commonplace.  And sure, minimalist style and a specific blade profile was also important to me.  But the biggest upcharge for a fan?  DC motor.  DC motors run silent, but are more expensive.  Well silence is important to me--and that became a consideration for my purchases.