New modem and router suggestions

keroro7788

I currently have a Netgear CM1000 and Orbi RBR20 3 unit mesh. The modem I think is failing. Every two weeks or so I have to reset it. I've had both for about 3.5 years.

Currently I am on a 500mbps plan with Cox which I will likely be using to 1gbps in July when my current offer ends.

I have about 30 smart devices connected in a 2 story house about 4000sqft. 

I don't want to purchase anymore Netgear devices. They are failing too quickly. My old Asus router like the rt56 lasted me many years. Motorola modems I've never had to replace until I had to get a telephony modem for my parent's house. Which we've had a Arris in for at least 5+ years with no problems.

Any suggestions appreciated.

18 minutes ago, keroro7788 said:

I currently have a Netgear CM1000 and Orbi RBR20 3 unit mesh. The modem I think is failing. Every two weeks or so I have to reset it. I've had both for about 3.5 years.

Currently I am on a 500mbps plan with Cox which I will likely be using to 1gbps in July when my current offer ends.

I have about 30 smart devices connected in a 2 story house about 4000sqft. 

I don't want to purchase anymore Netgear devices. They are failing too quickly. My old Asus router like the rt56 lasted me many years. Motorola modems I've never had to replace until I had to get a telephony modem for my parent's house. Which we've had a Arris in for at least 5+ years with no problems.

To be fair, it might just need a new PSU.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I've always used Arris modems in the past. Last year switched to a Motorola MB8611 (which has worked well for me), which I believe is also approved for Cox (I in a Spectrum area). For many years now I've been adding extra heat sinks and fans to both my routers and modems. It prevents slow downs on extended downloads, and seems to end my need to reset them every so often.

For a router I've been using Amplifi Alien (Ubiquiti), which while solid, and works well, I have some complaints about forcing me to use a phone app. On top of that, if you are going to force the app on people, put all the information in the app, not just "most" of it.  At least Linksys, while pushing the app, doesn't force it upon you. I likely wouldn't buy another Ubiquiti product just because of this experience.

My parents modem has the same issue, needing a restart about once a week.

They'd call me, I'd sigh and say "have you unplugged it and plugged it back in" and it worked every time.

At Xmas I snuck downstairs to the modem and put it on a $5 light timer from the hardware store. It cuts the power off for 15 minutes at 3am, when everyone is long asleep.

4 Types of Electric Timers and Light Controls - OnTime59

They haven't called me about the internet going down since.

Perhaps consider the same if your current config is fine speed+range wise and your only quirk is needing a power cycle. 

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

1 hour ago, Chronified said:

My parents modem has the same issue, needing a restart about once a week.

They'd call me, I'd sigh and say "have you unplugged it and plugged it back in" and it worked every time.

At Xmas I snuck downstairs to the modem and put it on a $5 light timer from the hardware store. It cuts the power off for 15 minutes at 3am, when everyone is long asleep.

4 Types of Electric Timers and Light Controls - OnTime59

They haven't called me about the internet going down since.

Perhaps consider the same if your current config is fine speed+range wise and your only quirk is needing a power cycle. 

If I didn't want to cycle every day but say every week instead would having the modem on a smart plug with a IFTTT routine work? I can probably reduce frequency to once a day when I'm away. If I'm at home it's not an issue but I leave my desktop on when I'm out and about so I can remote in and also to access security/pet cameras, the automatic feeder etc. Stability is important to me. Speed and such everything is technically fine. When it works, it works so I think this is the route I'd like exploring further. 

2 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

I've always used Arris modems in the past. Last year switched to a Motorola MB8611 (which has worked well for me), which I believe is also approved for Cox (I in a Spectrum area). For many years now I've been adding extra heat sinks and fans to both my routers and modems. It prevents slow downs on extended downloads, and seems to end my need to reset them every so often.

For a router I've been using Amplifi Alien (Ubiquiti), which while solid, and works well, I have some complaints about forcing me to use a phone app. On top of that, if you are going to force the app on people, put all the information in the app, not just "most" of it.  At least Linksys, while pushing the app, doesn't force it upon you. I likely wouldn't buy another Ubiquiti product just because of this experience.

My house actually has ubiquiti access points built in hanging from the ceiling in several areas but I never used them since I already had the orbi. So good to know to avoid them. The Netgear app is really wonky when I'm not inside the network not a fan as well. Never have that issue with Google wifi for mom's house. So stable. The only time it crashes is if the house loses power... But it always resets itself.

How do you go about adding a heatsink and fan to the modem?

40 minutes ago, keroro7788 said:

If I didn't want to cycle every day but say every week instead would having the modem on a smart plug with a IFTTT routine work?

How do you go about adding a heatsink and fan to the modem?

You actually don't even necessarily need a smart plug or routine honestly. My in laws had a problem like this for a while with a cheap modem that needed reset regularly. I just put it on one of those cheap vacation timers (amazon link example), and set it to power cycle in the middle of the night.

As for the heatsink and fans. Pretty straight forward. Most routers and cable modems run on 12v, so you can hook right into the power supply for the device itself. I've always used Noctua's 40mm fans, as they are good fans, come with wiring, and fit well in most things. These are old pictures I already have up on my web server:

This is the included female lead  that comes with the Noctua 40 mm fan, I always use it, as it would make fan replacement easy in the future. Not that I've ever had to replace one. You can see I just solder the leads directly to board where input for the AC adapter comes in, as it's 12v:

cablemodem1.jpg

Heat sinks are cheap, so if it's a flat, it gets a heat sink thermal epoxied to it. The fan gets located on either side, where ever it will clear.  This one ended up in the center:

cablemodem3.jpg

This one would only fit in the lower corner, however having airflow through it, still helped:

cablemodem8.jpg

Even routers, it helps.

mr96003.jpg

I know my amplfi Alien has a fan in it from the factory, however I know I never heard it turn on. Adding a fan in what I think was a slightly better location, dropped my temps 20 degrees roughly all the time (since it shows CPU temp).

5 hours ago, keroro7788 said:

I have Comcast. I currently have the CM1000 and thus far its been rock solid. A lot of people with Comcast are upgrading to the S33. Thats mainly due to the 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port and the fact Comcast does 1.4 Gbps down 45 Mbps up. But people seem to be happy with the S33. 

Router wise, I have no suggestions for you. You have a big house and thats going to offer some challenges. I think your better off with some kind of Mesh system. If I had to do mesh, which I dont because one router can do the whole house. I would probably look at ASUS's offerings. Mainly because the AI mesh feature just seems very cool and in a way cost effective as you can just add new nodes at will. Because all you need are ASUS routers that support AI mesh and most of theirs seem to. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.