Xiaomi ax6000 or non xiaomi router? Oculus quest 2 gaming + smart home appliances

Rijsberman

Hi there!

Was wondering how you feel about xiaomi routers. Been using an ax1800 for a while at my parents home and it is pretty good. But not enough for wireless quest 2 gaming. 

Now i'm moving to my own apartment. Next to some wireless quest 2 gaming, will have like 8-10 smart bulbs, about 6 sonos speakers and a few other smart home buttons/ sensors. (which the ax6000 should handle easily) These sensors will be connected to an aqara hub though so that's zigbee. But the xiaomi's value is amazing. Netgears and asus routers are like 250 -350 euros for comparable specs. Why is this? 

And should I do a network switch first, then go one out to my xiaomi router, one out to another switch next to my 2 pcs?

Or should I do main cable > use router as first network switch > route that to another switch and split into my 2 pcs?

Would love to get some advice! Thanks 🙂

edit: i also read some people stating the wifi 6, isnt wifi 6 on this xiaomi 

3 hours ago, Rijsberman said:

Hi there!

Was wondering how you feel about xiaomi routers. Been using an ax1800 for a while at my parents home and it is pretty good. But not enough for wireless quest 2 gaming. 

Now i'm moving to my own apartment. Next to some wireless quest 2 gaming, will have like 8-10 smart bulbs, about 6 sonos speakers and a few other smart home buttons/ sensors. (which the ax6000 should handle easily) These sensors will be connected to an aqara hub though so that's zigbee. But the xiaomi's value is amazing. Netgears and asus routers are like 250 -350 euros for comparable specs. Why is this? 

And should I do a network switch first, then go one out to my xiaomi router, one out to another switch next to my 2 pcs?

Or should I do main cable > use router as first network switch > route that to another switch and split into my 2 pcs?

Would love to get some advice! Thanks 🙂

edit: i also read some people stating the wifi 6, isnt wifi 6 on this xiaomi 

Why would you put a switch before and after the router? Just one after if you need more ports... And you likely don't even need that, just use the ports on the router if you only have 2 wired devices. 

46 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Why would you put a switch before and after the router? Just one after if you need more ports... And you likely don't even need that, just use the ports on the router if you only have 2 wired devices. 

it's because there's only space for a small switch to split off the downstairs TV (and nvidia shield), and then the cable runs through the wall to the router > and then there's only space for one cable through to wall to my gaming/office room. There are really shallow pipes to the upper floor.

I was worried maybe running a cable out of the router might induce input latency? 

On 4/10/2022 at 4:11 PM, Rijsberman said:

it's because there's only space for a small switch to split off the downstairs TV (and nvidia shield), and then the cable runs through the wall to the router > and then there's only space for one cable through to wall to my gaming/office room. There are really shallow pipes to the upper floor.

I was worried maybe running a cable out of the router might induce input latency? 

On the contrary, every switch you add incurs a tiny (not worth worrying about) amount of latency.  Straight into the router is the lowest latency.

Also its the router that converts a single IP address from your ISP into multiple LAN IP addresses, nothing should usually be connected before the router, it just wont work unless you have multiple IP addresses from your ISP.  If that DOES work it suggests you are performing double-NAT (two routers) which is a bad idea and rather makes the second one redundant.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7