Rtx 2060 & ryzen 3 2200g

Al1ex

so i have a ryzen 3 2200g and a r9 380  but its not the best for vr games i wana get a rtx 2060 because i wana run some vr games like vr-chat and up the resolution or blade n sorcery would it be worth it?

and if not what gpu should i get?

CPU isn't powerful enough to drive a 2060. A 1060/580 would be it's cap

37 minutes ago, Al1ex said:

so i have a ryzen 3 2200g and a r9 380  but its not the best for vr games i wanna get a rtx 2060 because i wanna run some vr games like vr-chat and up the resolution or blade n sorcery would it be worth it?

Personally i would try getting a 3060, its only 100$ more expensive and faster and you should also consider upgrading your CPU because it will bottleneck (lose performance)

also because your cpu and gpu arent that good im guessing you dont have that much ram nor a good psu (for the upgraded gpu) you should consider upgrading that

RAM: because ryzen CPU's work better with more and faster ram would recommend 16gb 3200mhz or higher and dont mix different ram sticks (for the future cpu)

Example: Corsair 8gb 3200mhz and teamgroup t-force vulcan 8gb 3200Mhz (even tho they are exactly the same capacity and speed it CAN run into crashes)

PSU: if you dont have a good psu your pc will probably crash would recommend minimum 650w, but recommend 750w

also watch out for the temperatures, you wanna make sure you have a good airflow in your case as well as cpu cooler (ryzen stock cpu coolers are fine for cooling if you dont overclock)

Dont go out of only my recommendation only, wait for someone else to reply and maybe correct me if i said something wrong

and dont take this reply as "OH m god this guy thinks i have that kind of money to upgrade everything", if you can upgrade everything at once thats perfect but dont worry if you cant afford everything, go one by one and eventually you will get there

Hope i helped

6 minutes ago, Duxa said:

pc will probably crash

not really. if the psu is not good enough in protections it would just shutdown. 

6 minutes ago, Duxa said:

recommend minimum 650w

for 2200g and 2060 you could run those with 350w psu, but since there are no good 350w psus, 550w psu should be fine.

8 minutes ago, ExalyThor said:

CPU isn't powerful enough to drive a 2060. A 1060/580 would be it's cap

nah, depends, the 2200g is like i5 6400, not that good, but it is still good enough for most popular games.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

18 minutes ago, Duxa said:

Personally i would try getting a 3060, its only 100$ more expensive and faster and you should also consider upgrading your CPU because it will bottleneck (lose performance)

also because your cpu and gpu arent that good im guessing you dont have that much ram nor a good psu (for the upgraded gpu) you should consider upgrading that

RAM: because ryzen CPU's work better with more and faster ram would recommend 16gb 3200mhz or higher and dont mix different ram sticks (for the future cpu)

Example: Corsair 8gb 3200mhz and teamgroup t-force vulcan 8gb 3200Mhz (even tho they are exactly the same capacity and speed it CAN run into crashes)

PSU: if you dont have a good psu your pc will probably crash would recommend minimum 650w, but recommend 750w

also watch out for the temperatures, you wanna make sure you have a good airflow in your case as well as cpu cooler (ryzen stock cpu coolers are fine for cooling if you dont overclock)

Dont go out of only my recommendation only, wait for someone else to reply and maybe correct me if i said something wrong

and dont take this reply as "OH m god this guy thinks i have that kind of money to upgrade everything", if you can upgrade everything at once thats perfect but dont worry if you cant afford everything, go one by one and eventually you will get there

Hope i helped

i have 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Dual Channel ram and a 650w psu 

3 minutes ago, Duxa said:

all tho consider getting a better cpu even if this one is still good enough

ye i was thinking of getting the gpu outta way first while i can get it cuz a cpu is a lil cheaper so i was thinking of upgrading to Ryzen 5 5600G  in the near future

18 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

nah, depends, the 2200g is like i5 6400, not that good, but it is still good enough for most popular games.

The 2200g is a mere 1200 with an igpu. Pairing anything better than a 1060/580 with it is dumb. I'm being realistic here too. Some snobs would say anything better than a 1050ti is too much because they run games competitively at 720p low.

1 minute ago, ExalyThor said:

1200 with an igpu

yes, and 1200= is like i5 6400.

1 minute ago, ExalyThor said:

Pairing anything better than a 1060/580 with it is dumb

depends, if you play cpu heavy games then sure, if you play games that are more gpu heavy (like any modenr story game or non AAA game) you are good to go.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

16 minutes ago, Al1ex said:

ye i was thinking of getting the gpu outta way first while i can get it cuz a cpu is a lil cheaper so i was thinking of upgrading to Ryzen 5 5600G  in the near future

im guessing you know ryzen 5 5600x is better than ryzen 5 5600g, but how much is the 5600g cheaper, because if its like 50$ not more than that you should really think about getting 5600x instead

39 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

yes, and 1200= is like i5 6400.

No. A mere 4460 beats a 2200g.

3 hours ago, ExalyThor said:

The 2200g is a mere 1200 with an igpu. Pairing anything better than a 1060/580 with it is dumb.

You're generally correct, however i had a 2200g + 1060 and a lot of games actually choked hard, while others were fine, so yes, it does depend, but its never gonna be ideal, the cpu is really weak and mostly suited for 720p and the "ideal" GPU would be probably something like a 1050ti (which is a combo that will still struggle with many games)

Tldr, needs a good 6 core cpu minimum.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

22 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

You're generally correct, however i had a 2200g + 1060 and a lot of games actually choked hard, while others were fine, so yes, it does depend, but its never gonna be ideal, the cpu is really weak and mostly suited for 720p and the "ideal" GPU would be probably something like a 1050ti (which is a combo that will still struggle with many games)

Tldr, needs a good 6 core cpu minimum.

Well not really. I wouldn't have a problem pairing a 12100f with a 2060. Hell I wouldn't have a problem pairing it with a 3060. But a 4c4t cpu with weak ipc? Not a chance. (Btw, the 12100 beats the 3600 in most gaming cases, it even gets close in multi threaded apps, so settling 6 cores being the minimum is not good thinking.)

6 hours ago, ExalyThor said:

settling 6 cores being the minimum

well it doesnt really matter how many cores as long the performance is there, but no, i generally disagree with the notion, 6c/12t is the absolute minimum for a modern gaming experience - provided the general performance is there obviously. If there are some 4c intels with the same level of performance, thats fine, but its also the exception to the norm, plus i wonder how much of an own goal it is going forward with only 4 cores. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6 hours ago, ExalyThor said:

4c4t

yeap, thats exactly the problem with 2200g , i think it would fare much better with 4c/8t aka multithreading.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 4/4/2022 at 10:47 AM, Al1ex said:

so i have a ryzen 3 2200g and a r9 380  but its not the best for vr games i wana get a rtx 2060 because i wana run some vr games like vr-chat and up the resolution or blade n sorcery would it be worth it?

You COULD probably overclock your 2200g and install a rx 580 or gtx 1060. That would probably get you by on minimum vr settings. However, your settings will be very limited in order to maintain 90hz.

I ran a rx 570 with a modestly more powerful ryzen 5 2400g (4c, 8t) and vr was just okay. I really had to drop the settings down so I didn't feel sick playing vr titles. From my experience though, vr games are generally more heavily gpu dependent. I rarely saw my cpu usage maxed out (but I had 2x the threads of a 2200g)

I'd try to find a ryzen 5 5600x, pair it with a gtx 3060 or a rx 6700, 16 gb of 3600 mhz ddr4 and call it a day.