Is it fine to use a 6+2 pin connector for my GPU?

pana8inaikos

Hello everyone, i have a question.I have a pretty old PSU ,the seasonic M12 600W(the pic below) and currently i have the rx 560.I am thinking to buy this card https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1623918140.
My old card require 6 pin cable and the one i want to buy uses 8pin cable.The psu came with a 6+2 pin like the pic below.Is it safe to use the PSU i already have with this cable,or i ust to buy a new PSU?
I dont mind the money so much but my current PSU have survived 2 lightnings  near my house(much devices fried ,the PC was on and survived),many power failures etc.I have so much faith to this specific PSU that it is difficult to let it go.
Thnx a lot in advance.

04164052260l.jpg

Cable-PCI-E-Pcie-PCI-Express-6p-Male-to-8pin-6-2-Male-Wire.jpg

6+2 PCIe power cables standard fare for GPUs with 8 pin power connectors. No issues there.

I would, however, be replacing the PSU regardless. An old PSU that's been through two power surges is not something I'd put any sort of trust in.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

14 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

6+2 PCIe power cables standard fare for GPUs with 8 pin power connectors. No issues there.

I would, however, be replacing the PSU regardless. An old PSU that's been through two power surges is not something I'd put any sort of trust in.

Thank you for the response so much.I know, i wouldn't either but since the last major incident have past 5 years.Since then no issues, i have test it recently no problems at all.Never had issues with the PSU really.The only reason i don't want to replace it ,is that 3 friends of mine have recently bought new PSU's ,expensive ones and they had issues with them.One of them replaced the motherboard cause of the PSU failure.We all live in "problematic" area with electricity  issues especially the winter time and that is why i consider a replacement since the current PSU i have has no issues with those problems.I have battery backup though.For the time being that cable was my concern ,if it can supply the GPU properly ,i will consider a replacement in the near future.

Even though it's old power supply, considering it was most likely used for most of its life to power components that in total didn't require more than 100-150 watts, I would be willing to be that the power supply still has A LOT of life left in it.

The only component that could have issues would be the fan, and if you want, you can replace that.

The 6600XT won't consume more than 200 watts, so you should be fine.

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Even though it's old power supply, considering it was most likely used for most of its life to power components that in total didn't require more than 100-150 watts, I would be willing to be that the power supply still has A LOT of life left in it.

The only component that could have issues would be the fan, and if you want, you can replace that.

The 6600XT won't consume more than 200 watts, so you should be fine.

Thank you so much for your reply.The fans are good and still quiet.I take care of my setup twice a  month.Proper cleaning and remove all the dust.But because i know that is an old PSU i don't know for sure if it can support a modern GPU with this cable properly, that is why i asked.

9 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

If its still working there is no reason to replace it. People on this forum seem to be part of some power supply cabal that want you to by a new unit every day.

Thank you so much for your reply.I am not cheap but i don't like to throw away perfectly working items.That applies to all items i have and use.I don't know i consider it waste.Even with parts of my pc that i replace i make sure that they will function in some other way.Many of them i donate to my friends who doesn't care much about hard core gaming,other parts i sell in extremely low price ,just to make sure that there will be no waste.I am weirdo i know.

20 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

If its still working there is no reason to replace it. People on this forum seem to be part of some power supply cabal that want you to by a new unit every day.

Clearly a PSU that's been through multiple power outages AND lightening strikes over FIFTEEN YEARS never needs to be replaced otherwise people are part of a cabal or something? Seriously?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

54 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Clearly a PSU that's been through multiple power outages AND lightening strikes over FIFTEEN YEARS never needs to be replaced otherwise people are part of a cabal or something? Seriously?

Yes seriously. Guess what. Every other electronic device in his home ALSO went thru those same lightning strikes and is probably older than 15 years. I don't see you telling him to replace those.