Checking CPU in BIOS without a cooler?

I'm purchasing a Ryzen 9 5950x from someone on FB Marketplace. Seller claims it's new but the box has been opened. I want to install it in my rig long enough to boot into BIOS to validate specs. Is there any concern with doing this without a heatsink installed? It should only be running for a minute or two.

That is a long time to run without a cooler. At least be ghetto enough to paste up a glass of water 馃槃

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

It shouldn't hurt it, cpus have safety systems built in these days to protect from overheating (I mean it will probably hit tjmax but then should throttle itself)

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone聽SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 |聽Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata聽XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 |聽Corsair聽CXM 450W

18 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

There is no harm in trying. It will shut down if its too high.

it's SUPPOSED to shut down if it's too high.

but to imply there is no risk is going to be incorrect as the board is designed to shut down a cpu that has a heat sink on it that is overheating. The board is not designed to assume/be ready for the user to have literally no heat sink at all.

it would be of no consequence or fault of the board manufacturer if it fried the cpu before shutting down from a user not attaching a heat sink.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

聽The board is not designed to assume/be ready for the user to have literally no heat sink at all.

Sure they are. Every modern board I've used will stop with an error if it doesn't detect a cpu fan.

I've not heard of anybody frying a CPU in the last decade other than overclocking. You can find 100 youtube videos with people booting into windows and running benchmarks without a cooler.

So yeah I'd say the risk is about the same as the risk of getting electrocuted every time you plug in an outlet.

2 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

So yeah I'd say the risk is about the same as the risk of getting electrocuted every time you plug in an outlet.

good glad we agree then that it's possible to happen

7 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Sure they are. Every modern board I've used will stop with an error if it doesn't detect a cpu fan.

you also seem to be confusing a cpu heat sink and a cpu fan

1 hour ago, bootiecalls said:

I'm purchasing a Ryzen 9 5950x from someone on FB Marketplace. Seller claims it's new but the box has been opened. I want to install it in my rig long enough to boot into BIOS to validate specs. Is there any concern with doing this without a heatsink installed? It should only be running for a minute or two.

You presumably have a cooler in your system now, right? Even just setting it on top of the CPU without mounting hardware would be better than nothing at all.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D聽GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz聽CL16 32 GB聽PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, dilpickle said:

If he doesn't have a heatsink then he doesn't have a fan....

Please stop being this pedantic. Its not a good look.

there is nothing wrong in any way with recommending a user install the heat sink before powering a cpu.

it is also extremely important that a cpu fan , and a heat sink聽 be noted as being two different things. A board cannot detect a heat sink , but it can detect a fan. If the user wanted to run the cpu for a minute or two with only a heat sink and no fan , then that could actually be fine. Running it with no heat sink at all is just poor advice and nobody on earth who gives that form of advice should expect to do so without someone else to offer a smarter alternative.

If you are uninterested in a forum format that involves advice that is different or superior to your own I'd highly recommend ignoring the format.

25 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

If he doesn't have a heatsink then he doesn't have a fan....

Please stop being this pedantic. Its not a good look.

No harm in being pedantic, unlike giving a potentially damaging advice (it's not a good look, as someone might say).

OP should request or bring some sort of heatsink.

Well, if it were me I wouldn鈥檛 fire up a 5950x without a heat sink. It鈥檚 you鈥檙e cpu though. I am into hardware abuse, but not that kind.

All of you guys who said you would.. post a vid, let鈥檚 see how good these safety systems work.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I do currently have a heatsink/fan on my 2600x. If it is as simple as just setting the current heatsink on the cpu while I verify in BIOS then I should be ok.聽

Follow-up noob question: I have a stock AMD heatsink that came with the 2600x. That should be fine with the new CPU, correct? Same fit?

31 minutes ago, bootiecalls said:

Thank you everyone for the advice. I do currently have a heatsink/fan on my 2600x. If it is as simple as just setting the current heatsink on the cpu while I verify in BIOS then I should be ok.聽

Follow-up noob question: I have a stock AMD heatsink that came with the 2600x. That should be fine with the new CPU, correct? Same fit?

Those are both AM4 so the same cooler will work.

Not that I want to add fuel to this fire but... the IHS is in itself a heatsink. It should be able to disapate enough heat to allow for other fail safes to kick in and shut down the system. You certainly do not want to try this with a CPU without an IHS... looking at you AMD socket A...

To assume it's safe, is incorrect cause it's not. There is a slight chance something could happen. But then again same can be said for ESD and there are already videos out there showing how hard it is to kill computer gear with static shocks. Does this mean that an ESD strap is pointless? No, just helps cut down on risk, even if the risk is super low.聽

So basically it's up to you to make that call. Personally if it were me, I'd rest an old hsf I have kicking around on the CPU and try booting it up, just to have a little extra thermal mass on it.

3 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Not that I want to add fuel to this fire but... the IHS is in itself a heatsink. It should be able to disapate enough heat to allow for other fail safes to kick in and shut down the system. You certainly do not want to try this with a CPU without an IHS... looking at you AMD socket A...

To assume it's safe, is incorrect cause it's not. There is a slight chance something could happen. But then again same can be said for ESD and there are already videos out there showing how hard it is to kill computer gear with static shocks. Does this mean that an ESD strap is pointless? No, just helps cut down on risk, even if the risk is super low.聽

So basically it's up to you to make that call. Personally if it were me, I'd rest an old hsf I have kicking around on the CPU and try booting it up, just to have a little extra thermal mass on it.

I agree with you. It sounds like it probably wouldn't be a problem but there's no need to add unnecessary risk. I can set the old HS on during the quick boot up.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Even though there is plenty of conflicting advice, it's a great exercise in discourse and allows me to form my own thoughts and opinions based on everyone else's thoughts and experiences.聽

7 minutes ago, bootiecalls said:

Even though there is plenty of conflicting advice, it's a great exercise in discourse and allows me to form my own thoughts and opinions based on everyone else's thoughts and experiences.聽

Very diplomatic聽馃檪

Good luck!

28 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Not that I want to add fuel to this fire but... the IHS is in itself a heatsink.

Who told you that? Are you sure?

The IHS is there not to spread heat, but so you don't crush your cores like we used to do back in the day. You could crush it and bust off a corner and the CPU will still work, most of the time.. but these days? Probably cant get away with it.

9 minutes ago, freeagent said:

The IHS is there not to spread heat,

OMG, seriously dude? IHS literally stands for Integrated Heat Spreader

21 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

OMG, seriously dude? IHS literally stands for Integrated Heat Spreader

I know what it stands for. I've been overclocking since you were in diapers, maybe before.

15 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I know what it stands for.

Then not sure what your point was...聽

16 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I've been overclocking since you were in diapers, maybe before.

Cool beans?? Doubt it but hey I'm at that age where if someone thinks I'm young, bonus. But again, what's your point and how is it relevant to the OP?

1 minute ago, Bad5ector said:

Then not sure what your point was...聽

Cool beans?? Doubt it but hey I'm at that age where if someone thinks I'm young, bonus. But again, what's your point and how is it relevant to the OP?

Alright buddy whatever you say 馃檪聽You believe what you want聽馃憤