Computer wont boot but ssd is good (i think)

Need_Not

the computer said no OS detected so i took it apart and found it has an ssd so i assumed it was dead so i took it out and put it into my external dock and made a backup while it was still readable but then i tried writing to it and it works... so why wont the pc boot. this ssd is 11 years old though 

Just some random guy who has a gaming computer to play on his Minecraft server

Did you check to make sure it actually has an OS on it, unless you have multiple drives and it attempting to use the wrong drive to boot, it doesn't sound like it could be anything else.

1 minute ago, RAM555789 said:

Did you check to make sure it actually has an OS on it, unless you have multiple drives and it attempting to use the wrong drive to boot, it doesn't sound like it could be anything else.

i mean im 90% sure the os wouldn;t be on the hdd but can check

8 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

it has windows

35 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

the computer said no OS detected so i took it apart and found it has an ssd so i assumed it was dead so i took it out and put it into my external dock and made a backup while it was still readable but then i tried writing to it and it works... so why wont the pc boot. this ssd is 11 years old though 

The most straightfoward solution if you're confident the ssd has an OS and the boot sequence is correct would be to reinstall windows from a usb. Sounds like the mbr may be corrupted.

4 minutes ago, steelo said:

The most straightfoward solution if you're confident the ssd has an OS and the boot sequence is correct would be to reinstall windows. Sounds like the mbr may be corrupted.

would that require me wiping the drive 

3 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

would that require me wiping the drive 

I must have misread, I could have sworn you posted that you've backed your drive up...

Try a recovery usb using the MS media creation tool to boot and select 'repair'

Just now, steelo said:

I must have misread, I could have sworn you posted that you stated that you've backes your drive up...

Try a recovery usb using the MS media creation tool and select 'repair'

i did back i up but if i reinstalled windows when i load the backup i wont be able to use the programs and stuff right?

5 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

i did back i up but if i reinstalled windows when i load the backup i wont be able to use the programs and stuff right?

Go to the microsoft website and download the media creation tool. Then boot off of the usb (you'll have to change the boot sequence in uefi) and select 'Repair' 

It may or may not be recoverable...

12 hours ago, steelo said:

Go to the microsoft website and download the media creation tool. Then boot off of the usb (you'll have to change the boot sequence in uefi) and select 'Repair' 

It may or may not be recoverable...

ok so i did that but for some reason i thought about just testing 1 more time without the blueray and hdd and it worked. but with the hdd and blueray plugged in it doesn't

why is it looking to boot of those. what changed?

11 hours ago, Need_Not said:

ok so i did that but for some reason i thought about just testing 1 more time without the blueray and hdd and it worked. but with the hdd and blueray plugged in it doesn't

why is it looking to boot of those. what changed?

I'd look at the boot order in uefi. Make sure the ssd is #1 on the boot order list.

17 minutes ago, steelo said:

I'd look at the boot order in uefi. Make sure the ssd is #1 on the boot order list.

i did so many different combos and for some reason it just started working again. i dont know what even happened im so confused