Making Peace with the Enemy - Nvidia in Talks to Use Intel as a Foundry to Manufacture Chips + Intel and AMD knew Nvidia's secret roadmap

Lightwreather

Summary

Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang held a question and answer session with the press today, and the topic quickly turned to Intel's Foundry Services (IFS) initiative that will see Intel making chips for other companies as part of its IDM 2.0 initiative. Surprisingly, Huang confirmed that his company is considering using Intel's foundry to possibly make some of its chips.

Intel is now a direct competitor with Nvidia on both the CPU and GPU fronts, but Huang also explained that Intel and AMD have known Nvidia's secret roadmaps for years so he isn't paranoid about sharing more information.

Quotes

"Our strategy is to expand our supply base with diversity and redundancy at every single layer. At the chip layer, at the substrate layer, the system layer, at every single layer. We've diversified the number of nodes, we've diversified the number of foundries, and Intel is an excellent partner of ours[…]. They're interested in us using their foundries, and we're very interested in exploring it," said Huang.

Huang did hedge somewhat, explaining that operating as a foundry is very different from operating as a standard product-oriented company like Intel. "Being a foundry at the caliber of TSMC is not for the faint of heart; this is a change not just in process technology and investment of capital, but it is a change in culture, from a product-oriented company to a product, technology, and service-oriented company," Huang explained.

"I am encouraged by the work that is done at Intel, I think this is a direction they have to go, and we're interested in looking at their process technology. Our relationship with Intel is quite long; we work with them across a whole lot of different areas, every single PC, every single laptop, every single PC, supercomputer, we collaborate." Huang said.

Intel now makes GPUs, and Nvidia now makes GPUs, meaning the two companies will now compete directly in several market segments. Huang was also asked about any concerns with sharing Nvidia's secrets with Intel, and his response was quite revealing:

"We have been working closely with Intel, sharing with them our roadmap long before we share it with the public, for years. Intel has known our secrets for years. AMD has known our secrets for years. We are sophisticated and mature enough to realize that we have to collaborate.[...] We share roadmaps, of course, under confidentiality and a very selective channel of communications. The industry has just learned how to work in that way."

My thoughts

Well, that was admittedly two revealing statements. One is that Nvidia is considering working with Intel's Foundry services which makes it seem that Intel's plan for IDM 2.0 might actually be working? That's rather interesting. It was also stated that Intel and AMD knew at least small bits and pieces of what Nvidia has been (and will) working on. That's sort of "what?" moment (for me at least, I was expecting corporate espionage to be the way to get such info). Now, whether will indeed make use of Intel's fabs and what they will utilise them for, we'll have to wait and see.

Sources

Tom's Hardware

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Since when Nvidia had a beef with Intel? I thought they never cross path.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Since when Nvidia had a beef with Intel? I thought they never cross path.

Well, that part was clickbait. I thought it'd be a fun title. But it could be appropos since Intel is going to be competeing directly with them in a couple days (<7 days).

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

13 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

One is that Nvidia is considering working with Intel's Foundry services which makes it seem that Intel's plan for IDM 2.0 might actually be working? That's rather interesting.

I guess that's not really surprising. Nvidia has switched fabs more than once, they just go with the cheaper one that can meet their demands. Heck, even in the current gen they had their top A100 built by tsmc and the remaining of the lineup on Samsung because TSMC didn't want to give them a discount.

15 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

It was also stated that Intel and AMD knew at least small bits and pieces of what Nvidia has been (and will) working on. That's sort of "what?" moment

Again, not really surprising since Nvida has built clusters and supercomputers in partnership with both Intel and AMD.

Their last DGX used AMD CPUs since they had PCIe 4.0 ready, and the upcoming DGX will likely use Intel since they were ahead with PCIe 5.0.

That's not to mention the partnership required to deploy laptops and other devices where they need to rely on intel or amd for the CPU.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 minute ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Well, that part was clickbait. I thought it'd be a fun title. But it could be appropos since Intel is going to be competeing directly with them in a couple days (<7 days).

btw i just found out that Nvidia is using AMD CPU for their servers. all's fair in love and war.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Arm, and and Intel? What's next? A pre built nvidia with a 256 core RISC-V? 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

28 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Arm, and and Intel? What's next? A pre built nvidia with a 256 core RISC-V? 

Nvidia already uses RISC-V for their Falcon mcu (found inside most of their GPUs), and also had partnerships with IBM in order to have a POWER-based setup with nvlink built into the CPU.

They will partnership with anyone as long as they can get some profit lol

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Tell me Intel, Nvidia, and AMD are acting against anti-trust laws without telling me Intel, Nvidia, and AMD are acting against anti-trist laws

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

It's a horrible word, but coopetition is a thing. Companies cover so many areas now you can work with them in some areas while at the same time compete with them in others.

6 hours ago, igormp said:

I'd even go as far as to say it could be negligent if a company were not to follow up on opportunities that can advance their business.

Also keep in mind any discussion today might not hit products for some years out. Maybe a bit earlier depending on when those talks started. Intel may be behind TSMC at this moment, but they're expecting to be leading TSMC 2025, so maybe in products from 2026. Of course it is not a certainty that Intel will be able to achieve that at all, in that timescale, but same could be said for TSMC's plans. TSMC may have a better recent history, but I'd take the general advice that past performance is not necessarily an indicator of future performance.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 3/23/2022 at 2:49 PM, igormp said:

I guess that's not really surprising. Nvidia has switched fabs more than once, they just go with the cheaper one that can meet their demands. Heck, even in the current gen they had their top A100 built by tsmc and the remaining of the lineup on Samsung because TSMC didn't want to give them a discount.

Discounts are virtually non existent in today's fabs. TSMC is still supplying over 80% of the Nvidia portofolio. Globalfoundries may be a big player in a couple of with their next fab in Malta. That's if it ever gets completed with the supply chain shortages and lead times on quartz and silicon carbide tooling.