Need help figuring out whats wrong. Psu or gpu?

Go to solution Solved by Joakim97,
On 3/24/2022 at 4:53 PM, Shadowpaw said:

Hopefully it's just gpu and they have a replacement already sent when you get back. I've had a psu last over 10yr without issues and that's back when I played WoW every free moment. If you don't have a multimeter or are not comfortable testing a live wire while it's running to see what the psu is sending out you could also maybe get one of those 2xmolex to 6/8pin wires if they say it wasn't the gpu and test that. It's not ideal but they only a couple bucks and if the pcie power is having issues then this way you could test getting power a different route from a failing psu to get you by until you can get another. 

In case you were curious on an update. I changed to a new and bigger wattage psu and the problem is now fully gone. Card runs fine maybe even abit better then what it used to

So since the 17th i have been having this issue where i suddenly lose video output on both monitors at random, first i thought it was my new 6900xt that i had gotten a few weeks before that got weird after the latest drivers update but it still happened after going back to the previous version. 

This happens while im just browsing reddit or watching a video on youtube or when im playing games. I have tried running prime 95 at the same time as i use the tress test inside amd adrenalin software, and it went conpletely fine. But then some time after i suddenly lose video output. 

Only way to get back the output is to restart my pc, most of the time it goes by well and other times i have had a few issues like gpu drivers being suddenly gone/uninstalled, several cycles of turning it on and off until it works. Im pretty lost on what to do but im starting to think its my psu that is quite old by now is starting to fail but why doesnt it fail while stress testing?

6 minutes ago, Joakim97 said:

So since the 17th i have been having this issue where i suddenly lose video output on both monitors at random, first i thought it was my new 6900xt that i had gotten a few weeks before that got weird after the latest drivers update but it still happened after going back to the previous version. 

This happens while im just browsing reddit or watching a video on youtube or when im playing games. I have tried running prime 95 at the same time as i use the tress test inside amd adrenalin software, and it went conpletely fine. But then some time after i suddenly lose video output. 

Only way to get back the output is to restart my pc, most of the time it goes by well and other times i have had a few issues like gpu drivers being suddenly gone/uninstalled, several cycles of turning it on and off until it works. Im pretty lost on what to do but im starting to think its my psu that is quite old by now is starting to fail but why doesnt it fail while stress testing?

simple thing if the fans/led on gpu r still up its ur gpu if there not prob psu

9 minutes ago, Kebabi said:

simple thing if the fans/led on gpu r still up its ur gpu if there not prob psu

Fans, lights and are still on, even audio continues to play for a while. Its just that i have been looking up sudden loss of vudeo output and there seems to be alot of things pointing at my psu is starting to fail. I really dont know though and its bothering me alot

2 hours ago, Joakim97 said:

Fans, lights and are still on, even audio continues to play for a while. Its just that i have been looking up sudden loss of vudeo output and there seems to be alot of things pointing at my psu is starting to fail. I really dont know though and its bothering me alot

How old is your PSU?

Do you have a spare PSU you can try?

If not, I do know at least which component will be cheaper to replace. 😆

Salt SYSTEMs:

SYSTEM-Infinity+1(Centerpiece) -- Ryzen 5600X + RX 6800 XT + Galahad 360 + 32GB + Thermaltake P3

SYSTEM-Embrace (Portable) --Ryzen 5600 + RX 5700 XT + Galahad 240 + 16GB + Hyte Revolt 3

44 minutes ago, NaClKnight said:

How old is your PSU?

Do you have a spare PSU you can try?

If not, I do know at least which component will be cheaper to replace. 😆

I dont have a spare psu and im leaving for work early next week. Was thinking of bringing my gpu ho a friend when i come home and properly check though. My psu is 10 or 9 years old, but it is an 850w 80+gold

14 hours ago, Joakim97 said:

I dont have a spare psu and im leaving for work early next week. Was thinking of bringing my gpu ho a friend when i come home and properly check though. My psu is 10 or 9 years old, but it is an 850w 80+gold

If the PSU is 10 years old I'd suspect the PSU failing first and foremost

Salt SYSTEMs:

SYSTEM-Infinity+1(Centerpiece) -- Ryzen 5600X + RX 6800 XT + Galahad 360 + 32GB + Thermaltake P3

SYSTEM-Embrace (Portable) --Ryzen 5600 + RX 5700 XT + Galahad 240 + 16GB + Hyte Revolt 3

If it's not psu. I had this EXACT same issue and couldn't figure it out for months because sometimes I could go a day without the issue. It ended up being the hdmi cable just was getting too hot. I was only doing 1080p and it was rated for that but it was the culprit and the cable still works fine for a switch but not for my pc. Since your using 2x monitors I would test it with 1 monitor going and see if it still happens. Lastly by any chance do you also have a USB screen plugged in? Like one of those small 3.5inch ones that show Temps and load? That was my latest issue causing gpu to disable itself so figured I would ask. 

7 hours ago, Shadowpaw said:

If it's not psu. I had this EXACT same issue and couldn't figure it out for months because sometimes I could go a day without the issue. It ended up being the hdmi cable just was getting too hot. I was only doing 1080p and it was rated for that but it was the culprit and the cable still works fine for a switch but not for my pc. Since your using 2x monitors I would test it with 1 monitor going and see if it still happens. Lastly by any chance do you also have a USB screen plugged in? Like one of those small 3.5inch ones that show Temps and load? That was my latest issue causing gpu to disable itself so figured I would ask. 

I'd love to test that, but im using display ports and i currently only have two of them. And the bigger reason i cant test it atm is im going to work for 4 weeks now. Im going to send the card back on warranty and have them check it out to see if its faulty or not while im at work. Then im gonna go from there and hear what they say afterwarss.

5 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Brand and model?

Sorry it wasnt 80+gold. I checked later and its a corsair tx850w. Which i think is 80+bronze? 

4 hours ago, Joakim97 said:

Sorry it wasnt 80+gold. I checked later and its a corsair tx850w. Which i think is 80+bronze? 

Such old PSU with double forward topology isn't meant to power a recent high-end GPU with massive power spikes. Replace it!

Could be ram, cables, gpu or even mobo. I don't think it's the PSU. All you can do is test with different parts. Try a new GPU if you can. Or single ram stick etc.

On 3/21/2022 at 1:01 AM, Joakim97 said:

why doesnt it fail while stress testing?

the thing is during such tests its running full tilt, or close to… thats what the psu can handle… if u watch yt or play a game or even at idle there are spikes, thats what the psu cant handle, because it wasnt  designed for that (as in newer gpus will have bigger spikes)

On 3/21/2022 at 4:44 AM, Joakim97 said:

10 or 9 years old,

hence … its the psu, clearly.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

the thing is during such tests its running full tilt, or close to… thats what the psu can handle… if u watch yt or play a game or even at idle there are spikes, thats what the psu cant handle, because it wasnt  designed for that (as in newer gpus will have bigger spikes)

hence … its the psu, clearly.

Thats what i have been thinking too, but then how could it handle it for 2+ weeks of the exact same games on the exact same tuning mode. And without issues. This started the same day amd drivers 22.3.1 was released. But the issue remained after doing DDU and installing the old driver again

3 minutes ago, Joakim97 said:

Thats what i have been thinking too, but then how could it handle it for 2+ weeks of the exact same games on the exact same tuning mode. And without issues. This started the same day amd drivers 22.3.1 was released. But the issue remained after doing DDU and installing the old driver again

can still be drivers.. you should DDU and install the old drivers and test if that works better. 

Just now, Robchil said:

can still be drivers.. you should DDU and install the old drivers and test if that works better. 

Thats exactly what i did and it didnt work

34 minutes ago, Joakim97 said:

Thats exactly what i did and it didnt work

yeah.. sometimes i'm blind.. tried to restore windows to a state before you installed new drivers? 

24 minutes ago, Robchil said:

yeah.. sometimes i'm blind.. tried to restore windows to a state before you installed new drivers? 

i tried to see if i could but by the time i thought of it, it was too late and only had recover states from after it happened.

Im gonna be sending the card in on warranty as the support i talked to thought it could be the gpu fault and they wanted to test it.  And since i'll be at work for 4 weeks and wont be able to use my pc anyway im gonna do that. Then hear what they say if its the cards fault or not

On 3/21/2022 at 9:34 PM, Joakim97 said:

I'd love to test that, but im using display ports and i currently only have two of them. And the bigger reason i cant test it atm is im going to work for 4 weeks now. Im going to send the card back on warranty and have them check it out to see if its faulty or not while im at work. Then im gonna go from there and hear what they say afterwarss.

Hopefully it's just gpu and they have a replacement already sent when you get back. I've had a psu last over 10yr without issues and that's back when I played WoW every free moment. If you don't have a multimeter or are not comfortable testing a live wire while it's running to see what the psu is sending out you could also maybe get one of those 2xmolex to 6/8pin wires if they say it wasn't the gpu and test that. It's not ideal but they only a couple bucks and if the pcie power is having issues then this way you could test getting power a different route from a failing psu to get you by until you can get another. 

On 3/22/2022 at 11:27 AM, Joakim97 said:

i tried to see if i could but by the time i thought of it, it was too late and only had recover states from after it happened.

Im gonna be sending the card in on warranty as the support i talked to thought it could be the gpu fault and they wanted to test it.  And since i'll be at work for 4 weeks and wont be able to use my pc anyway im gonna do that. Then hear what they say if its the cards fault or not

since the other pcie card you tested in the same port that only showed 2x for the gpu showed 8x.. it should be the gpu.. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 6:43 PM, Robchil said:

since the other pcie card you tested in the same port that only showed 2x for the gpu showed 8x.. it should be the gpu.. 

So to give an update, i RMA'd  the 6900xt and they did a 24 hour stress test in furmark, 18 hour stress test in 3d mark time spy and a 20 hour stress test in heavens benchmark and found no issues with the card and tested it on several systems. So im 100% sure its rhe psu thats spikes or something. So im gonna swap it out 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 4:53 PM, Shadowpaw said:

In case you were curious on an update. I changed to a new and bigger wattage psu and the problem is now fully gone. Card runs fine maybe even abit better then what it used to

On 4/23/2022 at 9:49 AM, Joakim97 said:

Glad everything is working now.