Our New Internet is FREE! - Office AirFibre 60 XG Install

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

I'm curious if snow might be a concern, even though I am aware that west coast, especially that greater Vancouver Area doesn't get snow the way you see in Montreal or Ottawa. Though I guess if there's enough snow to cover that up/mess with these dishes will also mess up a lot of other mission critical things as well.

37 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

I'm curious if snow might be a concern, even though I am aware that west coast, especially that greater Vancouver Area doesn't get snow the way you see in Montreal or Ottawa. Though I guess if there's enough snow to cover that up/mess with these dishes will also mess up a lot of other mission critical things as well.

That's where you'd want a VPN connection over a traditional business-class cable modem or FTTP Internet connection as a fallback. It would sting for web browsing (compared to going straight through the main office), but at least they wouldn't be completely cut off if the point-to-point wireless goes down. (I assume LMG uses Office 365, but I'm not sure if they have anything like on-site Active Directory. If you lose your connection to your domain controllers, you can't log into anything tied to them unless the devices cached your credentials. Ask me how I know...)

Besides, at that extremely short distance, I wouldn't expect rain fade to be a game-breaking issue. Now if they got three feet of snow and didn't clear it off, that could pose an issue.

As long as Creator Warehouse has their primary working server local to their unit, they should be fine if this connection gets interrupted for whatever reason.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

not wifi 7? or does that come after? 😛

And when to connect to marslink? (not starlink, meme).

Been running these devices for almost 10 years, they're amazingly good for virtually no money. The 60xg must be new, and now I need to buy a few pairs. 

26 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

Not a concern at all, unless somehow the snow physically gets piled in front of the dish I guess? We run them in Northern AB, and they work mint, even in - 50 and snow and wind. 

8 minutes ago, lostboy said:

Not a concern at all, unless somehow the snow physically gets piled in front of the dish I guess? We run them in Northern AB, and they work mint, even in - 50 and snow and wind. 

Ah okay, they looked a little low to the ground for me but I'm neither a buisness owner or someone who has been on a roof of those types of buildings let alone in Burnaby since I was thinking that given that I had seen snow pile up to the level of those heater type things on the roof of buildings at my uni that you'd want it high enough to avoid that level of snow.

53 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

Ah okay, they looked a little low to the ground for me but I'm neither a buisness owner or someone who has been on a roof of those types of buildings let alone in Burnaby since I was thinking that given that I had seen snow pile up to the level of those heater type things on the roof of buildings at my uni that you'd want it high enough to avoid that level of snow.

Usually it melts or gets shoveled off before it piles up that much.

I used to have to scrape snow and ice off of 4.2 meter roof-mounted satellite dishes. The snow would effectively change the shape of the dish, 'moving' the focal point away from the LNB. That's no bueno when you're pulling in TV network feeds. (We've since moved, now the new dishes are all on the ground and heated.) They were actually mounted with bigger versions of the mounts Jake and Linus used, just with even more flat pavers and cinderblock.

Those Ubiquiti things are convex and almost vertical, they shouldn't have that issue. As long as the cable has a drip loop at both ends, the connectors will stay dry enough, too.

Also, RIP whoever's car the wrench fell on. That's why you always keep a roll of string in your bag when you work on a roof.

This could have achieved 400mbps to 600mps with a new ASUS AC3100 wireless router and a 12db omi wifi antenna with a 6ft roof top tripod antenna mount much easier to setup. They are only like 40 to 60 yards apart a dish setup would be better if they are like 80+ yards apart.

Point to point dish internet setups IMO for distances under 300 to 400 ft do not make since just saying

I'd really take another look at that grounding setup, and move it closer to earth if possible. At that point, that long of a ground run is bound to pickup interference , along with Linus not even grounding the damn arresters. While it's good to ground at the entry point, it's not as good to have a super long run; as the longer the wire the more noise it'll pickup. That and grounding lightning protection to your building's plug ground (i'm assuming that was the plan) really isn't an amazing idea.

Anyone know what networking adapter they had plugged into the mac when they were testing the speed?

I'm in the market for one and would like to know.

It is nice to see a wireless solution like this. Not that sending data via microwave link is anything new, but most solutions for this tends to be a bit more exotic.

Though, I do have to ask.

Why not run a cable/fiber instead?

Each building has been shown to have a utility room with a cable pipe to each unit. And each of these utility rooms has been shown to have a pipe to the first building's utility room.

Maybe worth while exploring this route and maybe go for a 100 Gb/s link sometime in the future, "just for fun" that is. It is after all a good showcase of the main strength of fiber, and also how a lot of these business parks tends to be fairly "do what you want" when it comes to running networking between multiple units that one rents/owns. Within reasonable limits that is.

Though, considering the distance between the buildings here, I would have just used a fiber for the whole run and just hung it between the roofs. Here either use a reinforced cable, or a steel wire and loops for holding a regular outdoor cable. (Unless hanging cables between the buildings is forbidden by the landlord)

(Though, seeing as LMG buys unit after unit in this place, maybe the whole place will just have a sign at the entrance welcoming people to Linus land.)

Also, the surge protectors should be very well grounded. As in preferably having as direct of a connection as possible to the Earth.

Having a poor path to ground will make more or the lightning go where you don't want it, a typical mast has the advantage of being literal metal, while most buildings don't have that advantage, so grounding it can be a challenge. Though, most cheap surge protectors are like Nuclear bunkers, ie considers a "direct hit" anything within X miles. (in short, don't expect it to protect against a direct lightning strike.)

To be fair, I wouldn't have used Copper between the dish and switches, I would use fiber for the pure reason that fiber is more or less inherently surge protected. (unless reinforced with a steel mesh for outdoor applications!) And one won't have any risk of lightning surging through one's network. The PoE power I would supply by a dedicated supply, though a dish like this should probably have a 12-48 V DC input for just running some regular cable over to it and power it that way. (full on AC power would have also been nice, but I can see reasons for why they didn't.)

And clearly Ubiquity had the same idea, since they put in an SFP port, allowing the end user to select a fiber module fit for their distance and cable used. Or one can stuff in a 10 Gb/s 8P8C SFP module and go with non surge protected copper over to what most likely is a switch with more than one SFP+ port on it.

19 hours ago, DJboutit said:

This could have achieved 400mbps to 600mps with a new ASUS AC3100 wireless router and a 12db omi wifi antenna with a 6ft roof top tripod antenna mount much easier to setup. They are only like 40 to 60 yards apart a dish setup would be better if they are like 80+ yards apart.

Point to point dish internet setups IMO for distances under 300 to 400 ft do not make since just saying

You're suggesting some random off the shelf router instead of a purpose built device because reasons?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 3/15/2022 at 3:20 PM, Mysticode said:

Throwing that wrench has to be the top idiotic idea I've seen in the past few years...

We literally fire people on my jobsite for not having tools tied to your belt over 10ft off the ground - You can do SERIOUS damage

On 3/15/2022 at 5:20 PM, Mysticode said:

Throwing that wrench has to be the top idiotic idea I've seen in the past few years...

That's one reason to keep some mason's line in your tool bag. Need a tool? Tie it off and pull it up.

But that's not as much fun, and doesn't pose as much risk of injury and property damage!

I created an account on the forum just for this vid. Been in the wireless industry for about 10 years. I wanted to hop on and give you guys some path loss calculations to help but ubiquiti is notoriously bad about leaving their datasheets vague and useless. 

A few notes, at that short of distance you shouldn't have that much separation in RSL (-48/-37). I would recommend checking output power on the radios and that both of them are on the highest modulation (or at the very least the same modulation as each other). Or just align better. Remember if you a receiving a low signal at one antenna often times you need to align the other antenna better. Without looking at the gui myself I'm just giving some ballpark examples though.

Secondly without some stats on the gain of the antenna, max output power of the radio and a couple other tidbits its hard to say what RSL you should be aiming for, but i would imagine it would be in the low 30's. There is a point where it is possible to over power the radios.

Lastly I do have a cheat sheet (while not the most accurate) to calculate the free space path loss in a quick excel sheet if you guys want it. Like i said though you would need some more information than ubiquiti tends to give out.

On 3/14/2022 at 4:44 PM, Ultraforce said:

Metro Vancouver rarely gets more than 1 foot of snow. Usually even to get that, a number of weather patterns have to combine, like this year, where enough snow collected on the roof of my apartment building that the subsequent rain turned the water run off into 5L/second runoff that it ingresses into the building.

Basically, for a 1-in-730 day event, it's not going to be an issue, especially if the building has sufficient drainage on the roof to prevent a lake from forming.

Now, for actual concerns in the video:

1. Nobody wearing safety gear.

2. Improperly secured tools and hardware

3. Working on powered microwave equipment (the Ubiquity dishes). These are not low-power 100mW 802.11 wifi dishes. These can potentially operate with 20,000mW* EIRP in the U-NII-3 band.

4. Linus leaning over the side of the building without any safety gear to prevent himself from falling

* I kind of doubt you'd be exposed to this unless you were standing directly in front, occluding the entire antenna from less than an inch away.

The entire video has the mentality of a "DIY Dad" trying to save money, which you know, fine, but please stop putting yourself in danger while filming it. Your life can not be replaced so easily as dropping a $500 dish.

56 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Metro Vancouver rarely gets more than 1 foot of snow. Usually even to get that, a number of weather patterns have to combine, like this year, where enough snow collected on the roof of my apartment building that the subsequent rain turned the water run off into 5L/second runoff that it ingresses into the building.

Basically, for a 1-in-730 day event, it's not going to be an issue, especially if the building has sufficient drainage on the roof to prevent a lake from forming.

Now, for actual concerns in the video:

1. Nobody wearing safety gear.

2. Improperly secured tools and hardware

3. Working on powered microwave equipment (the Ubiquity dishes). These are not low-power 100mW 802.11 wifi dishes. These can potentially operate with 20,000mW* EIRP in the U-NII-3 band.

4. Linus leaning over the side of the building without any safety gear to prevent himself from falling

* I kind of doubt you'd be exposed to this unless you were standing directly in front, occluding the entire antenna from less than an inch away.

The entire video has the mentality of a "DIY Dad" trying to save money, which you know, fine, but please stop putting yourself in danger while filming it. Your life can not be replaced so easily as dropping a $500 dish.

Okay thanks, for the clarification. I will say I do sometimes wonder about the whole filming themselves presumably against WorkSafeBC policy. Especially as it seems to heavily vary based on the subject of the video. It seems like the videos focused on the engineers at LMG tend to be less likely to have safety concerns(maybe since if any of them are licensed engineers they would be at risk of sanctions that they could receive.)

Just out of curiosity. What happens if someone climbs the roof and plugs in during night? Is it like a mac-adress block in the router or something? If so, would like a video on that security part. 

6 minutes ago, rasmusjonsson said:

Just out of curiosity. What happens if someone climbs the roof and plugs in during night? Is it like a mac-adress block in the router or something? If so, would like a video on that security part. 

A lot of specifics about LMG security stuff is done through obscurity. So it's unlikely theywould make a video. Though I would guess that since they implemented it themselves theres probably nothing special that they have implemented and it's just assumed people aren't going to climb the roof at night.

42 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

A lot of specifics about LMG security stuff is done through obscurity. So it's unlikely theywould make a video. Though I would guess that since they implemented it themselves theres probably nothing special that they have implemented and it's just assumed people aren't going to climb the roof at night.

Yeah fair I guess but still surprised they didn't comment on security at all.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 6:31 PM, jakkuh_t said:

I dont see it in the usa ui store 😞 early access i believe...