why is the ps4 firmware requirement of ELDEN RING has to be 9.0.3 instead of 9.0.0?

bidenkim

Likely DRM related.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

It forces upgrades which might remove a vulnerability that is being exploited, it might require a SDK refresh, it could be DRM like @SolarNova stated.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Yeah, this is *almost* certainly to force people to patch to a non-exploitable FW version with a game they know is going to sell well.

There's a slim chance there is some "legitimate" reason pertaining to the game, but this isn't a new thing, and historically, it's to force people to patch off some vulnerable FW version.

I'm not sure if the PS4 softmods have FW version spoofing, but there are a lot of games that require version spoofing even on PS3. It's nothing new, though I'd be interested to find out if it's something done by Sony or if the devs do it.

Sony mandating that games shipped X days after a new FW need to require it. 
Or
Devs making it a requirement so that they can hopefully have less people pirating their games. 

On 3/12/2022 at 1:12 AM, SydneyBrokeIt said:

Yeah, this is *almost* certainly to force people to patch to a non-exploitable FW version with a game they know is going to sell well.

There's a slim chance there is some "legitimate" reason pertaining to the game, but this isn't a new thing, and historically, it's to force people to patch off some vulnerable FW version.

They also don't want people on exploited systems to be able to cheat and ruin the online for paying customers.