Windows 10 is snappier than MacOS High Sierra on a Macbook air Early 2015. Wow!

idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b

Had to share this 馃檪

So I use my laptop at home connected to a 1080p monitor. Practically always.聽

I have an Early 2015 Macbook Air which has the聽I5-5250U and 4GB of RAM.聽

I did a complete format of the MBA and restored it to the original OS - MacOS High Sierra.聽

It was fine as a laptop, but when connected to my 1080p display聽 - it would struggle and feel slow.聽

2 days ago I had the idea of trying to run Windows 10 on it. Natively. Complete wiped drive (no bootcamp and suff).聽

And Windows 10 is NOTICABLY FASTER!!!聽

It's now usable, actually, and I am just going to keep it since it does what I need it to do fine (YouTube, Email, Reading online, Google Docs).聽

What do you guys make of this?聽

Just wanted to share.聽

Thanks.聽

image.png.b79237c00e81c3a35f88dcf5ac81975f.png

image.thumb.png.be24a2937fe3d813964d36d550b6f7ff.png

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You have a clean install on a 4gb ram device. Use it for a month or 2 and enjoy the slowness.

4gb of ram is just not enough these days and soon you'll notice it again.

i am sure. I wasn't suggesting it's great, but was just surprised by how snappier Win10 is compared o MacOS High Sierra (I don't even want to tell you how bad later version were). Which surprised me because it is assumed that MacOS runs better on these machines (software-hardware integration).聽

I am actually now tempted to give Windows 11 a try 馃檪馃ぃ

5 minutes ago, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

Search for Windows 11 on this forum and have that temptaion removed real quick like. 馃槢 馃槅

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Win11 will likely run even a little better, it's been snappier than 10 for me even on low spec machines. Haven't tried anything as low as 4GB though, but I wouldn't expect it to be much worse.

F@H
Desktop:聽i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0,聽Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO,聽Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro聽RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan),聽Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Win11 will likely run even a little better, it's been snappier than 10 for me even on low spec machines. Haven't tried anything as low as 4GB though, but I wouldn't expect it to be much worse.

windows 11 has been a shitshow for me.. i've never had notepad crash on me before w11 馃槢

but having that said.. performance hasnt been a complaint so far, there must be something to shoving directX into every application that on the surface doesnt need it, in order to save on cpu cycles.

14 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but having that said.. performance hasnt been a complaint so far, there must be something to shoving directX into every application that on the surface doesnt need it, in order to save on cpu cycles.

This is something new in Windows 11?聽

2 hours ago, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

This is something new in Windows 11?聽

not new, but defenately a lot more widespread now they're no longer using <essentially the same notepad as previous versions of windows> anymore.

5 hours ago, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

i am sure. I wasn't suggesting it's great, but was just surprised by how snappier Win10 is compared o MacOS High Sierra (I don't even want to tell you how bad later version were). Which surprised me because it is assumed that MacOS runs better on these machines (software-hardware integration).聽

Try updating MacOS. I had the 2015 Macbook Pro (just the Air with a fan and 8GB of RAM), and it ran perfectly fine.聽

Windows 10 and 11 adapt itself to systems specs.

This is why it is confusing some people, where they have 16GB of RAM, for example, and more than 4GB of it is being used, yet with 4GB of RAM, you have plenty of free space.

Number of running processes also adapts.

Edge web browser continues this. Despite Chromium based (so in other words, Chrome) it has Microsoft optimizations applies to it reducing CPU and RAM usage a bit, it also has features like the ability to sleep tabs that were not used for a while, saving RAM, or stop any website animation/processing reducing CPU usage (on unfocused tabs)