Raspberry Pi for Pi-hole Setup

indersingh

Wondering what would be a good Raspberry Pi for the "Pi-Hole Setup". Want to have one with a built-in ethernet port as I think wi-fi might slow down the network.

Since it is just dns requests, using wifi should not be noticable on your internal network (Under 10 ms really)

As well keep in mind on most of the pi's the ethernet is using the USB interface to start with, which is going to be slower than direct ethernet.

Since you can only really buy the 3+ or greater anyway you will be fine running either.

I still run my PiHole on my first gen Pi (with ethernet), because it's so low needs that it doesn't get slowed down by it in the slightest. 

... I'd use ethernet, though. Always avoid wireless when possible. 

PiHole is just a DNS server, that takes almost nothing to run at a home LAN scale. You could even run it in a virtual machine on an existing PC or NAS. Even a first gen Pi would easily handle it.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 hours ago, indersingh said:

Wondering what would be a good Raspberry Pi for the "Pi-Hole Setup". Want to have one with a built-in ethernet port as I think wi-fi might slow down the network.

I'm running it on a $10 pi zero w with no issues. I haven't noticed any network slowdowns despite using wifi.