What's the best monitor resolution for an RTX 3050 based on the games I play?

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
1 minute ago, Reiidar said:

would how "sharp" or how "good" it looks depend on how close your eyes are to the screen?

And what the actual screen size is, but yeah. 1080p at 20", 1440P at 27", and 4k at 43" will all look the same because their pixel densities are the same. 

What features should I be looking for to have in a monitor because I'm not planning on upgrading anytime soon after that and I'd rather get all the features that makes sense.

Good quality panel (IPS preferred, VA at the minimum usually), high refresh rate (144Hz is usually pretty cheap and very appreciated) 

I've been slowly building up my PC starting from an R7 5700g to adding an RTX 3050 a couple of weeks ago. The last upgrade I'll be doing for now is a monitor upgrade. Regardless of the resolution I'll be buying a high refresh rate monitor. 
The games I play regularly are Dota 2 and Genshin Impact where Dota 2 is an esports title I don't mind turning down the graphic settings. For Genshin Impact, I have all settings turned up to max with GeForce now filters for sharpening and brightness at 60fps with 90% GPU utility. This game is also capped at 60fps as of now.
The list of games I play for now are:

• Elden Ring
  • Modded Skyrim
  • Civ 6
  • EU4
  • GTA5
  • Witcher 3
  • Monster Hunter World (for some reason I can't get DLSS to work even if Fidelity is turned off, do I need a 1440p monitor and above for it?)

For the newer games I'm banking on DLSS in the future if I can't run it natively, do I need to have a 1440p monitor and above to make use of DLSS? What's the max brightness should the monitor have? What about must have features?

This is beyond what I know and I'm very thankful for your inputs.

1080P. The 3050 is designed for 1080P gaming, and much more than that is pushing it for that card, especially in those games)

also wouldn't recommend using DLSS below 1440p resolution. The benefits you get are minimal, and you'll still get better performance running at 1080p native than 1440p DLSS.

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

1080P. The 3050 is designed for 1080P gaming, and much more than that is pushing it for that card, especially in those games)

also wouldn't recommend using DLSS below 1440p resolution. The benefits you get are minimal, and you'll still get better performance running at 1080p native than 1440p DLSS.

Regarding resolutions, would how "sharp" or how "good" it looks depend on how close your eyes are to the screen? What features should I be looking for to have in a monitor because I'm not planning on upgrading anytime soon after that and I'd rather get all the features that makes sense.

would how "sharp" or how "good" it looks depend on how close your eyes are to the screen?

And what the actual screen size is, but yeah. 1080p at 20", 1440P at 27", and 4k at 43" will all look the same because their pixel densities are the same. 

What features should I be looking for to have in a monitor because I'm not planning on upgrading anytime soon after that and I'd rather get all the features that makes sense.

Good quality panel (IPS preferred, VA at the minimum usually), high refresh rate (144Hz is usually pretty cheap and very appreciated) 

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Don't write off TN. A good one of those is comparable to a good IPS. Certainly, a bad TN is worse than a bad IPS. Check reviews of any shortlist display.

Back to OP: Agree that 1080p is sweet spot. You don't want to go lower even if you can find something, and higher is not the tradeoff to make if high fps is a target.

I would suggesting finding a model that is G-Sync Compatible certified. This means it has met some minimum standards on performance and image quality set by nvidia and at least gives you a baseline over those that don't.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 hours ago, porina said:

Don't write off TN. A good one of those is comparable to a good IPS. Certainly, a bad TN is worse than a bad IPS. Check reviews of any shortlist display.

Back to OP: Agree that 1080p is sweet spot. You don't want to go lower even if you can find something, and higher is not the tradeoff to make if high fps is a target.

I would suggesting finding a model that is G-Sync Compatible certified. This means it has met some minimum standards on performance and image quality set by nvidia and at least gives you a baseline over those that don't.

Thank you for your input, I have some other questions but I'll just make another post about it as I believe it deserves it own post.

9 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

will all look the same because their pixel densities are the same

Not 100% accurate.

Correct about pixel density, not correct about how they will look.

Rendering resolution matters. Even using the same display ull notice differences in the fidelity if u set each of those resolutions.

For example lets take the common 27" display at say 1440p.

Set resolution to 1080p, it will look different (more aliasing notably)

Set it to 1440p, it will look different (less aliasing)

Set it to 4k, it will look different ( even less aliasing)

Crucially, as resolution increase, distant objects will be rendered at a higher resolution. Due to LOD, not every object in a game is rendered at the native resolution. The most foreground objects will ideally be rendered at native, but anything further out, at any arbitrarily programed distance, will be rendered at a lower resolution, this results in aliasing of fine details and muddying of textures which also use lower resolutions.

As such, the difference between a 1080p small display and a 4k larger display will be more than just pixel density.

Anti Aliasing techniques can help hide some of this, but the type of AA used matters a lot, cheap and dirty post process AA can blur the image so much that ull be hard pressed to see a difference, but at the same time the image will look like absolute garbage compared to high quality AA like MSAA, or just straight up higher resolution rendering.

And no post process AA can fully undo aliasing of super fine details like power lines in the distance in games where a combination of lower native resolution and LOD settings can make the cables completely invisible or otherwise very broken up.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |