Thoughts on Chrome OS Flex?

Installing an operating system from those who collect data for a living is not a good idea.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Honestly don't see the advantage to this. You could just as easily install chrome on Linux and very likely have a more secure operating system with a lot less telemetry, which being on a rural US internet connection I think is important because the telemetry built into many of the popular applications can really kill my 1.5mb upload link and affect even my remote dns queries.

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

Installing an operating system from those who collect data for a living is not a good idea.

Microsoft does this too…..

1 hour ago, 10leej said:

Honestly don't see the advantage to this. You could just as easily install chrome on Linux and very likely have a more secure operating system with a lot less telemetry, which being on a rural US internet connection I think is important because the telemetry built into many of the popular applications can really kill my 1.5mb upload link and affect even my remote dns queries.

chromeos is actually incredibly versitaile.

It actually runs better than straight linux in my expirence, and the android apps thing is actually really usueful

this will kill brunch though, which sucks

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

Microsoft does this too…..

chromeos is actually incredibly versitaile.

It actually runs better than straight linux in my expirence, and the android apps thing is actually really usueful

this will kill brunch though, which sucks

Wasnt brunch always in a alpha stage?
Its great that google is giving out a 1st part solution that will probably have more support and less bugs

hi

1 minute ago, MarcLmao said:

Wasnt brunch always in a alpha stage?
Its great that google is giving out a 1st part solution that will probably have more support and less bugs

Yes, but it was a really cool community project.

and when I needed help with it one of the devs directly helped me on the discord server, I doubt that googles devs would do that

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I think Chrome OS will eventually dominate the computer market for less techie users, and GNU/Linux will grow and take in all the more techie users. Everyone in the middle, aka Windows users, will eventually pick a side. 

Everything is moving towards being forever connected to the internet and loosing tons of functionality while offline. As that happens, more and more techies are going to resist and move to Linux or other nerdy OSes. Mainstream users are gonna slowly adopt Chrome OS as the standard because Chrome devices are cheaper and Just Work a whole lot better than Windows computers. Windows will lose its purpose. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain