Switching a windows tablet to Linux while keeping digitizer support?

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

AFAIK Wacom drivers in Linux are fully functional, so it should work just fine. You can always try the live environment of a distro and see if works (all drivers minus Nvidia are installed in the kernel, so you don't need to worry about them). If it works out of the box, it's gonna work perfectly. If it doesn't, you're probably not gonna be able to get it to work.

That said, the biggest issue is gonna be finding a piece of software to use for drawing. Unless you're already used to using something open source for drawing like Krita, you'll have to switch application and the applications you can switch to might not be as good as what you're used to.

Noob here,

I have an old Toshiba encore write 2 (windows tablet) that I've been thinking of switching to Linux for awhile now to give it a bit of a refresh. My biggest reason for this is that Id like to use it for sketching and every time windows gets another update it gets seems to get alot slower which is not good from an art perspective. This would be my first time trying Linux on a device from scratch and my biggest concern would be support for the digitizer ( it uses Wacom active es with the Toshiba trupen). Would it be possible to switch it from windows and retain full functionality? Any advice is welcome

AFAIK Wacom drivers in Linux are fully functional, so it should work just fine. You can always try the live environment of a distro and see if works (all drivers minus Nvidia are installed in the kernel, so you don't need to worry about them). If it works out of the box, it's gonna work perfectly. If it doesn't, you're probably not gonna be able to get it to work.

That said, the biggest issue is gonna be finding a piece of software to use for drawing. Unless you're already used to using something open source for drawing like Krita, you'll have to switch application and the applications you can switch to might not be as good as what you're used to.

19 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Thanks! sounds like this is gonna b fun!

Spoiler

or not work but still, it'll be interesting at least