Authentication Apps - Get out of my phone and into something small and cheap so i dont loose you if my phone is lost.

CyberonDK

There is a growing requirement for using authentication apps, at work, for games etc. 

Not wanting to put all my eggs in a basket, i was wondering if anyone could point me to a small android device with a screen (yes mini tablet or similar) which i basically can use as a authentication device, only having installed RSA token app, Microsoft authenticator app etc.. and whatever other authentication apps we can think of.

And as cheaps as possible, screen would have to be just good enough to display the apps, kamera just good enough to capture a QR code, and hardware just god enough to handle those types of apps.

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

So a old phone?

I use authy for authentication storage and I can set it up on as many devices as I want. So my eggs are never in a single basket.

Not an app, but e.g. Bitwarden (a password manager) can also generate OTP tokens. You can have an authenticator app on your phone and set up Bitwarden as a backup. It can run on a (Linux/Windows) server and can be accessed over the web, with a desktop app and so on. Has the advantage that you can use it to manage your (secure) passwords in addition to tokens.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

So basically just... a small Android phone?
Any old phones you could repurpose solely for that?

I am looking for something that can be bought, basically in my country an employer cannot require you to bring your own phone for company business, and there are a lot of employees who do not like having company related apps on the personal phone or tables, regardless of it being able to be installed without them gaining access to your phone/tablet.
So instead of having to deal with a full phone i would rather locate a cheap small alternative that could be used instead. 
And yes personal use i could repurpose something, but i'd rather not, i am not to savvy with the DIY stuff.

Just now, CyberonDK said:

I am looking for something that can be bought, basically in my country an employer cannot require you to bring your own phone for company business, and there are a lot of employees who do not like having company related apps on the personal phone or tables, regardless of it being able to be installed without them gaining access to your phone/tablet.
So instead of having to deal with a full phone i would rather locate a cheap small alternative that could be used instead. 
And yes personal use i could repurpose something, but i'd rather not, i am not to savvy with the DIY stuff.

Couldn't you argue it's not a phone if you don't put a SIM card in, use a data plan etc? That's the easiest physical solution other than an authentication key or password manager.

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Couldn't you argue it's not a phone if you don't put a SIM card in, use a data plan etc? That's the easiest physical solution other than an authentication key or password manager.

Yes i could, but in that case what is the cheapest smallest android phone/tablet that would achieve that goal?

3 minutes ago, CyberonDK said:

Android phones are mass produced, small, portable. They are probably cheaper and easier to use than any custom solution you can come up with.

Just now, CyberonDK said:

Yes i could, but in that case what is the cheapest smallest android phone/tablet that would achieve that goal?

Probably all of them, provided they are recent enough that OTP apps still support them (e.g. Android 7+ or something)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, CyberonDK said:

Could get something like a prepaid phone then just not use the plan

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.dca93748af037f60918dd47fc69a28fe.png

something like this $40 Alcatel for example. Can find them on Amazon and eBay for super cheap and they are basically just barely sufficient.

As suggested by other posters, you can literally go to any store and buy a super cheap phone or tablet and put authy on it. You don't need to sign up for the cell service and just run it off wifi. The issue you may encountered is that your work will not allow non-work device to connect to their wifi network. Authy seems to work properly when wifi is turned off as long as he clock is correct.