Repurposing Old PC - Need Advice on Minimum Workable Spec PCIe GPU

OS_dirk

I have an old GA-970 Gaming Board and/or old GA-970-UD3 that I'm planning to repurpose as a dedicated game server for multiplayer sandbox/survival-builder games like Ark, Conan Exiles, Rust, Valheim, etc.

Unfortunately, the one GPU that I own (GTX-1650) needs to migrate to the new system, since the ~$300 that I could afford to spend on a GPU would only net me... another GTX-1650, only in sketchier condition.

Any advice on the minimum threshold on specifications and/or something barely still supported by the manufacturer? In the "cheap" price point of $50 to $100. I see everything between old nVidia Quattro's and GeForce 9 series, and 256mb of DDR to 1Gb of GDDR3.

I mainly need the discrete card for the monitor output, but am concerned that with lack of driver support/minimum spec, that the card could end up being a performance drain on the build. (If it were the 2000's I'd unabashedly let the default display driver handle everything, but with a modern-ish card, and modern windows, I'm not sure if that'd create a performance drain)

I'm up for any advice you're willing to provide.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Apologies if this belongs more in the build planning section of the forum.

I'd honestly sell it as ANY fx series cpu makes for a pretty darn terrible game server due to their extremely poor single core performance. The games you listed are games that can easily overwhelm any fx cpu. Whilst even a cheap i5 2500 would be fine. Those systems are super easily found for under 100$ on ebay an local pickup if not nearly free at this point. Also consumes like half the energy of even a low end fx4100.

As for your question any pcie gpu is fine since it's a server thingy you don't need any acceleration.

I recommend a Quadro k620 if you are looking for a cheap GPU.

Spoiler

Now if you literally just need a display output you could get by with something way way cheaper. But if for your server you're actually having a game window open or it is GPU intensive you'll want something a bit like this. And as previously mentioned, you may want a better CPU, but I've been running game servers (on lighter games) on a Core 2 Quad and Intel Atom without issues...

if you want a cheap GPU just for display I would go for an old Radeon HD 7470. we have thouands at work and they rarely fail. They go for like $10 on ebay

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

I agree that your money is better spent on a faster, more efficient PC than a GPU. But if all you really need is something cheap to plug a monitor into, one of those cheesy little OEM Radeon cards shouldn't cost much more than postage. That's your least expensive way to go, since your motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics.

A dedicated server shouldn't need anything special in a GPU at all. If you're concerned about the Windows GUI bogging things down, you can disable all the special effects like window animation and font smoothing. They're a drop in the bucket for overall system performance, though, not worth losing sleep over.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I now have a k620 on order, and will otherwise give it a go with the hardware that I have on hand for the time being. - I like the idea of still having a passable gaming rig, if the server doesn't end up seeing a lot of use.

I will keep the i5 2500 in mind though for the near future, though, if it turns out that my power bill doesn't agree with running two machines at once, and/or I notice performance issues. (I'm think the ISP bandwidth will probably give up before the CPU does, but I could be wrong)

Thanks again.