a question about linux

does all of my stuff stay on my HDD is i go from windows to linux, and if yes is it still useable?

No.  You will need to format the drive to install Linux, which will wipe everything.  Backup everything you don't want to lose.  Also, why are you asking this in the displays subforum?

That completely depends on how you set it up. Is this HDD separate from your boot drive or the same drive? If it's the boot drive, then wiping Windows to install Linux will wipe all of the files on the Windows partition. If it's a separate drive, Linux won't touch it unless you tell it to, and Linux can read NTFS partitions these days, so you can still access your data.

If you don't delete it, it will stay.  If you want to just try it out, you can get a live system like Fedora which you can boot from an USB stick, and it will leave your hard disk alone.  If you want to be 100% sure, you can always disconnect the hdd and boot from the USB stick.

-- Moved to Linux, macOS and Everything Not-Windows --

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 hours ago, sierles said:

does all of my stuff stay on my HDD is i go from windows to linux, and if yes is it still useable?

As others have said, depends on whether you format the drive/partition that has your data on it. You also have the option to install Linux alongside Windows (aka dual boot) and then access data that is on the Windows partition from Linux. If you're new and inexperienced, it is probably a very good idea to create a backup before installing anything. Just to make sure you don't lose your data.

Whether you can still use your stuff depends on what exactly you mean by "stuff". If you mean data (images, documents, etc.) you will be able to read (almost all of) it and edit most of it. If you mean programs, no, Windows programs generally don't run on Linux. You can get (some of) them to run through a compatibility layer called "Wine", but this won't work for all of them and with varying success.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 6:03 PM, sierles said:

It depends. if u install linux on ur main drive and have all ur data on a secondery drive u will be able to keep the files.

if ur data is on the main drive while linux installes, ur fuccd m8

Most (all?) Linux distributions can resize NTFS partitions. This means your data will not be gone, even if installing on the same disk (contrary to what some people claim in this thread).

However, do make backups of all the important data on your Windows drive before installation. Any partition resize operation is dangerous in principle (for example, a power outage at the wrong time -> the file system being operated on will be corrupted, possibly beyond repair). Installing alongside a Windows can be confusing for someone not accustomed to partitioning - and, frankly, I've seem some quite confusing user interface choices in some distribution installers especially in the partitioning phase. So one could erase their windows partition during installation by mistake (although strictly not necessary and despite the installer offering another choice).

Edited by Wild Penquin
ooooppps a word mistake: partition -> disk

Most distros do have the ability to resize NTFS, though it's important to note that most of the ones that don't are ones that focus more on being "free as in speech" than on being useful to new users.  

If you just want to see what the deal is with Linux, try it from a live USB - it'll be slow, but it will be functional.  It's actually a good idea to have one chilling out around anyway in case things go slightly pear shaped.

Linux is able to use NTFS Partitions and it is even a great way to recover Data from windows devices, that no longer work for some reason. As long as you don't have any sort of third party encryption set up, you're fine, since windows failing will most likely not break your entire filesystem.

Although ... if you're planning on using Linux as your main, I'd probably move your data to a Ext4 File system sooner, than later. Only caviat being: windows won't be happy with having it's system on Ext4 and while there are probably workarounds, I don' think it supports Linux File systems natively. But ... I meaan ... you should encrypt your Linux anyway for security reasons.

I've also heard people recommending to move windows into a VM when maining linux and I personally agree. Windows will break your Linux Boot Partitions, if you're not careful and while that won't cause you to loose data, it's always a mild hastle to fix.