Can I still use this while waiting for a new PSU?

kitnoman

So I already bought a new PSU. But it might still take 4-5days to arrived. Technically there's no issue power wise, but my psu started to vibrate loudly at start up and would eventually settledown after a while. I think it's the fans, but I really don't  or know how to troubleshoot psu. I really need to get my work done. So my question is, do you think It's still "safe" to run this pc while waiting for the replacement? And what happens to a psu that does not have a fan, in case the fan really fails? By the way, the psu is thermaltake smart se 730w and I had this since 2015 I think.

Yeh that's just a bad fan bearing. it sounds like it's at least spinning so you shouldn't have any problems

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

4 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

Yeh that's just a bad fan bearing. it sounds like it's at least spinning so you shouldn't have any problems

Thank you, for the moment I can't game on my pc or anything that draws a lot of power. I've notice that the fans ramping up and causes an even loader squeaking sound when the pc pulls more power and creates more heat. Good thing, I only need a browser and excel to work lol

In my spare time, once I got my new psu, I'll try to play around with this. Can you tell me, generally speaking, just how long should I wait so the the psu is fully discharge? I'll probably watch a few more videos but I think it has a 140mm fan and I also have an extra arctic 140mm. I hope I don't burn myself in the process though

Bad fans can run for years in a state like that, its more that its annoying and you know its going to fail eventually that dictates replacement.

2 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

In my spare time, once I got my new psu, I'll try to play around with this. Can you tell me, generally speaking, just how long should I wait so the the psu is fully discharge? I'll probably watch a few more videos but I think it has a 140mm fan and I also have an extra arctic 140mm. I hope I don't burn myself in the process though

There is no rule of thumb, it depends how its designed.  This is why people generally advise turning the PSU off then pressing the power button on the PC, in the hope that the PC trying to turn on drains the last drops of power out of the PSU.  But the only way to be sure is to find the big capacitors and short them with a screwdriver, being careful not to touch anything else (or your finger) at the same time as you don't want to discharge them into another component.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Bad fans can run for years in a state like that, its more that its annoying and you know its going to fail eventually that dictates replacement.

There is no rule of thumb, it depends how its designed.  This is why people generally advise turning the PSU off then pressing the power button on the PC, in the hope that the PC trying to turn on drains the last drops of power out of the PSU.  But the only way to be sure is to find the big capacitors and short them with a screwdriver, being careful not to touch anything else (or your finger) at the same time as you don't want to discharge them into another component.

I don't have any real technical background as I took liberal arts, so I might not be able to locate correctly the capacitors. What I know are bits and pieces from watching my uncle(computer sciences) as a kid and videos. But I do like playing around with pcs. If I'm not yet confident at shorting the capacitors and just leave the psu for a while, let's say a week, will it drain itself or will the capacitors keep whatever charge it has left?

26 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

so I might not be able to locate correctly the capacitors.

Then it's probably not a good idea to mess around with a PSU. Unless you really know what you're doing you don't want to mess with one, they can kill you if you do something wrong.

27 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

will it drain itself or will the capacitors keep whatever charge it has left?

depends on the PSU, but I've heard of units keeping charged for upwards of a year. it's just not something you want to mess with.