Multi-Gigabit Router Recommendation

Maodun_Kross

All,

ATT is rolling out a couple of new services in my area in the next month or so. I will be able to get 2Gbps or 5Gbps speeds up/down. Currently I am using the modem/router supplied by ATT and they will give me an upgrade when the new service rolls out, but they are limited by the features they offer.

I am looking for recommendations for a router that will support the up/down listed above. Needs to be a desktop version as I do not have a rack to mount anything like that at home. Does not need wifi capability built-in but that would be a nice feature to have (AX would be great so our laptops would get better signal). Any additional features it may have will be a bonus that I can use to help control and manipulate my home network...as long as it supports the speeds above (at least the 2Gbps) and I can change the DNS.

The ATT modem/router/wifi gizmo is very limited on what you can do with it. Additionally a lot of stuff is locked down because of the way ATT works...very specific settings to support their home TV/Phone/Internet...I do not have the TV/Phone but I still cannot make changes regardless.

Thanks

Dan

Doesn't exist outside of the enterprise world.

Internet speeds have now surpassed consumer hardware. I already have ATT 1gig and there would be no point in me upgrading to a faster speed since my entire network is based on 1gig hardware.

Thank you. I realize that some sort of business solution may be in order. The only major downside is rack mounting...I do not have an rack to mount anything on...but if a rack mount option is the best ill just figure it out.

2 hours ago, dilpickle said:

Doesn't exist outside of the enterprise world.

Internet speeds have now surpassed consumer hardware. I already have ATT 1gig and there would be no point in me upgrading to a faster speed since my entire network is based on 1gig hardware.

Not true, there are some $500 Asus and Netgear and whatnot consumer routers with 2.5GbE or 5GbE ports on them.

The bigger question is can they pass traffic from LAN to WAN and vice versa at those rates.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Not true, there are some $500 Asus and Netgear and whatnot consumer routers with 2.5GbE or 5GbE ports on them.

The bigger question is can they pass traffic from LAN to WAN and vice versa at those rates.

As far as I know they don't. And I'm pretty sure that is what OP wants.

1 minute ago, dilpickle said:

As far as I know they don't. And I'm pretty sure that is what OP wants.

In doing some digging and there are supposedly Ubiquiti routers (with 10G capable ports of course) which can take a mGig/nBase-T SFP that does 2.5G and 5G but I would definitely advise OP do more research than just what appears on a couple reddit threads.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 hours ago, Maodun_Kross said:

All,

ATT is rolling out a couple of new services in my area in the next month or so. I will be able to get 2Gbps or 5Gbps speeds up/down. Currently I am using the modem/router supplied by ATT and they will give me an upgrade when the new service rolls out, but they are limited by the features they offer.

I am looking for recommendations for a router that will support the up/down listed above. Needs to be a desktop version as I do not have a rack to mount anything like that at home. Does not need wifi capability built-in but that would be a nice feature to have (AX would be great so our laptops would get better signal). Any additional features it may have will be a bonus that I can use to help control and manipulate my home network...as long as it supports the speeds above (at least the 2Gbps) and I can change the DNS.

The ATT modem/router/wifi gizmo is very limited on what you can do with it. Additionally a lot of stuff is locked down because of the way ATT works...very specific settings to support their home TV/Phone/Internet...I do not have the TV/Phone but I still cannot make changes regardless.

Thanks

Dan

The big thing is what ports do the AT&T gateway have? Its it 2.5 or 5 Gbps Ethernet? Thats the big thing. Because at the end of the day the AT&T box cannot be replaced outright. You will have to put it in pass thru mode and use your own router. But you need to know what interfaces your going to be using before buying equipment. 

If it were me, Id look in to PFsense. This is a situation where not many solutions are going to be available and building a PFsense box might be a better choice. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, Maodun_Kross said:

Thank you. I realize that some sort of business solution may be in order. The only major downside is rack mounting...I do not have an rack to mount anything on...but if a rack mount option is the best ill just figure it out.

You don't need a rack to hold a single rack device. Just put it on a shelf. 

definitely look at the Unifi Dream Machine Special Edition.  it's $500 and 2.5Gpbs.  Don't worry about getting a rack.... I left my gateway on a shelf in a closet for years.

12 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The big thing is what ports do the AT&T gateway have? Its it 2.5 or 5 Gbps Ethernet? Thats the big thing. Because at the end of the day the AT&T box cannot be replaced outright. You will have to put it in pass thru mode and use your own router. But you need to know what interfaces your going to be using before buying equipment. 

If it were me, Id look in to PFsense. This is a situation where not many solutions are going to be available and building a PFsense box might be a better choice. 

It's got a 1/2.5/5Gbps port and 4x 1Gbps ports BUT (in my limited testing) it can talk to a 10Gbps thing kind of. I haven't done too much testing since, as I gave up and just ran it through a mGig switch to get to my 10G firewall in the short term but when I had it directly to a 10G SFP it seemed to work-ish but there are other factors I won't delve into here as to why I didn't keep it that way.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: