“Better get those disks!” Nintendo will discontinue digital game buying for the 3DS and Wii U in March 2023.

Summary

In March of 2023, Nintendo will now no longer support the buying of digital copies of games for the 3DS and the Wii U.

Quotes

The Nintendo Switch has been Nintendo’s main console for years now, but the company has still kept the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS’s eShop open for people who want to buy games on those platforms. In March 2023, though, that will no longer be the case — Nintendo won’t let you buy things on the Wii U or Nintendo 3DS eShop “as of late March 2023,” the company announced on Tuesday.

My thoughts

Oh no! The Wii U and 3DS are no longer getting digital gam- oh who cares. Everyone has physical copies anyways. I mean, for the people who do have digital copies, they still keep their games. You just can’t buy them anymore. Who even buys Wii U/3DS games from the eShop anyways? Everyone just gets a physical copy. Anyways, I guess it is sad that these consoles are now dated, but then again, you can still play games on them.

Sources

the verge

how are you doing today

As someone who plays almost daily with on my modded original 3DS, I'm honestly surprised it took them this long to shut down the eShop servers. For the past several years the shop has been almost unusable. For instance, I once tried to download a game that I owned from the NA eShop but it just couldn't download it at all so I had to resort to piracy.

Arch is better than Ubuntu. Fight me peko.

I remember how cool it was to have pretty much Gamecube level visuals in my hands when I got my og 3DS, how many years ago again?

Ngl, feeling kind of old now. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

The 3ds is an amazing console. Still trying to find a new 3ds/2ds XL that doesn't cost an arm in 2022

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. For some reason, I had it in my head that the Wii U didn't have a virtual console or any way to buy games online (or, at least, not anymore). I just bought Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask so that I can play them again without having to use an AVG to HDMI adapter (never found a good one) since TVs these days don't come with AVG ports anymore. Now I'm not limited to playing OOT on my Game Cube!

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

RIP in Ripperonis, sweet prince!

https://www.ebay.com/p/197123401

Spoiler

only the best game ever made, and yes, i know, i played the pc "online only" version…

Could have definitely been a PUBG killer, if the devs knew what they were doing (which they didn't) UwU

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity