Please Help.......I can't Find a Good SSD

Umer_Mushtaq

I have a Dell Inspiron 5520 and I Need to Upgrade it's HDD which is "Seagate Momentus 500GB" which is 5400 Rpm and very slow. I was thinking to upgrade to SSD but, I am low on budget.

I got 2 Options, Number 1:"Hikvision E100 128GB SATA SSD 2.5", Number 2:"WD Green 128GB". I don't know if they are DRAM Cache-less or not which one's better. I can't Decide between them.

Please Tell me if there are any other SSD's in my Budget. or I should just get a 500GB 7200 Rpm drive.

What is your budget?

EDIT: you can go to the pcpartpicker website, pick storage, and I'm pretty sure they have a database of all storage solutions that exist + their current price

23 minutes ago, Umer_Mushtaq said:

I have a Dell Inspiron 5520 and I Need to Upgrade it's HDD which is "Seagate Momentus 500GB" which is 5400 Rpm and very slow. I was thinking to upgrade to SSD but, I am low on budget.

I got 2 Options, Number 1:"Hikvision E100 128GB SATA SSD 2.5", Number 2:"WD Green 128GB". I don't know if they are DRAM Cache-less or not which one's better. I can't Decide between them.

Please Tell me if there are any other SSD's in my Budget. or I should just get a 500GB 7200 Rpm drive.

Imo you should avoid that Hikvision, and go for a more reputable brand. WD is ok, there are also better ones; depends on the budget and the region.

Here's a reddit post with lots of documentation on SSDs; there's a flowchart to help you decide which kind of SSD you need (but since you're budget limited there's no need for that); then, you'll find a spreadsheet with a huge database of SSDs. There, you'll see if they are have or not DRAM cache, there are general performance ranges, type of NAND, etc.
My advice would be to look for a bunch more SSD models on amazon or whatever website, even stretching the price a little bit, and compare them using the spreadsheet. WD Greens are DRAM-less; in my region, one of the cheapest SSD with DRAM is the Crucial MX500, for instance.

4 minutes ago, nelska said:

look for samsung EVO 900 series. m.2 nvme. 

I hope it's a joke

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

4 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

Imo you should avoid that Hikvision, and go for a more reputable brand. WD is ok, there are also better ones; depends on the budget and the region.

Here's a reddit post with lots of documentation on SSDs; there's a flowchart to help you decide which kind of SSD you need (but since you're budget limited there's no need for that); then, you'll find a spreadsheet with a huge database of SSDs. There, you'll see if they are have or not DRAM cache, there are general performance ranges, type of NAND, etc.
My advice would be to look for a bunch more SSD models on amazon or whatever website, even stretching the price a little bit, and compare them using the spreadsheet. WD Greens are DRAM-less; in my region, one of the cheapest SSD with DRAM is the Crucial MX500, for instance.

I hope it's a joke

sorry, I didn't read it I just threw the best out there. Are you saying that his doesnt have support for an m.2. He should buy a new laptop :p. 

1 minute ago, nelska said:

sorry, I didn't read it I just through the best out there. Are you saying that his doesnt have support for an m.2. He should buy a new laptop :p. 

I'm saying that if he's considering among 120-ish GB SATA SSDs, then there's a good chance his budget can't accommodate for M.2 PCIe NVMe 🙂

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

Just now, LionSpeck said:

I'm saying that if he's considering among 120-ish GB SATA SSDs, then there's a good chance his budget can't accommodate for M.2 PCIe NVMe 🙂

Boot from usb stick. 5 dollar holler. 

3 minutes ago, nelska said:

Boot from usb stick. 5 dollar holler. 

And worse than the HDD he already has.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

And worse than the HDD he already has.

Ahha! If its not broke dont fix it. lol. 

A long time ago I tried to do the same type of thing and wound up buying a usb 3.0 120gb storage drive to boot from and enable "superfetch" and it was all a huge bummer because I had no idea what I was doing but in the process I had learned about m.2 drives. And now I have a pretty flashy stick to boot windows from for reinstallations. 

the Crucial MX500 comes in 250GB as lowest capacity............

Transcend is another option (Taiwanese brand using Micron flash memory)

Kioxia (Toshiba) might be another good affordable choice