Intel vs AMD CPU strategy

Nineshadow

6g8uc9.jpg

That kinda is the truth though...at least AMD brought up Mantle.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

pls make a fm2+ 12 core

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

That kinda is the truth though...at least AMD brought up Mantle.

I can assure you Intel doesn't take such drastic measures when their profit for said quarter is down by 2.5% lol... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

lol at amd

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

MOAR CORES YAYAYAYAYAYAYYA

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Corsair H100i Pro | ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2x16gb @ 3200mhz  | Vega 64 @ Stock | Fractal Design Define R4 | Corsair RM750

ThinkPad T480 | Intel Core i7 8650u | Nvidia MX150 | 32GB DDR4 @ 2400mhz | Samsung 840 Pro 1tb | 1080p touchscreen

amd actually make am1 and so its moar ps4 cores. also they only lost 20mil in Q1 so they are doing good

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

No, amd is

Make more cores!!!

Make more GHz!!!

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

pretty sure someone made that image when bulldozer came out -_-

edit: that smiley icon looks obnoxious

If only Intel actually made a difference in gaming (at least a significant one) and had reasonable prices, then I would go Intel.

Best marketing strategy. Lol, that is the best picture lol.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

If only Intel actually made a difference in gaming (at least a significant one) and had reasonable prices, then I would go Intel.

Well i could be wrong but i think most games arent optimized enough to utilize the processors full potential?

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

But AMD cores are not strictly cores are they. I wouldn't call an 8350 an 8 core for example.

The definition of 'core' is muddy now.

But AMD cores are not strictly cores are they. I wouldn't call an 8350 an 8 core for example.

The definition of 'core' is muddy now.

i would its what amd say it is, its only recently that people have started saying they are quad cores, its a misconception, because it has 8 physical cores they are just old slow and laid out in a module set up where they share l2 cache. 

pretty sure someone made that image when bulldozer came out -_-

edit: that smiley icon looks obnoxious

they probably did and i don't blame them it was an epic fail and at the time they were completely useless and overpriced. they are much better now that the price has come down, but they are still seriously bad in the single core department. a phenom II X6 would destroy a fx6300 at the same clock speed. the only thing the fx6300 has going for it is that its lower power and can have a much higher clock speed, even then its slower multithread. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Now imagine Intel engineering with AMD's obsession with cores...TO THE MOON!

Pssst @Jumper118

Random question, what is your max vcore for that 5ghz overclock on that 2550K? I'm curious. Unrelated to the thread, I know! :ph34r:

they probably did and i don't blame them it was an epic fail and at the time they were completely useless and overpriced. they are much better now that the price has come down, but they are still seriously bad in the single core department. a phenom II X6 would destroy a fx6300 at the same clock speed. the only thing the fx6300 has going for it is that its lower power and can have a much higher clock speed, even then its slower multithread. 

The Phenom  II x6 should be compared to the FX8350, since both of them are the full unlocked chip that is the highest end of their product line.

the 8350 is an improvement from the x6, unlike the 8150, which was on the same level as the x6

Hilarious, it is so true.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

It will be a lot more interesting once more platforms switch to better multi core utilization. Most applications now rely on mostly single core performance.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

And Intel is all like "release it on a new socket, call it 1155a to make it confusing" while AMD is like "Lets see if we can make this 6 core processor work on an AM2+ board from 4 years ago with a bios update"

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

I don't like how Intel keep changing sockets every time they launch a new CPU its really annoying.

Yes I think Intel know they are the "choice of choice" so they charge more for CPU's.

---

But TBH Intel are going down the power efficiency route and well... AMD are not :D. The only thing that gets me is if they do the same trick they have done with there GPU's and turn there attention to CPU's Intel may have a fight on there hands. Its also not fair to compare a £140 CPU with a £300+ CPU (as no doubt is what is happening here in this thread)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Now imagine Intel engineering with AMD's obsession with cores...TO THE MOON!

Pssst @Jumper118

Random question, what is your max vcore for that 5ghz overclock on that 2550K? I'm curious. Unrelated to the thread, I know! :ph34r:

the max vcore was 1.38v@5ghz but its now 1.4v cos it might have degraded slightly when i ran 1.62v@5.35ghz. i run 5ghz 24/7 at the moment, but im thinking of dropping it to 4.8ghz@1.32v when gaming. 5ghz is needed for web browsing though.  :ph34r:

The Phenom  II x6 should be compared to the FX8350, since both of them are the full unlocked chip that is the highest end of their product line.

the 8350 is an improvement from the x6, unlike the 8150, which was on the same level as the x6

i can compare it to the 6 core because an old 6core vs a newer 6core should be a thing. otherwise its like comparing the top C2Q to a 6 core i7. basically the 8 core should abitrate the older 6 core and im saying that the newer six core isn't even faster than the old one, at any clock speed.  

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

The funny thing is, it was Intel that started doing the multiple core thing first... and at one point they had even said the future was in processors with hundreds or thousands of cores. Then they got stuck at 4, 6 and 8.

From 2011 - hundreds of cores: 

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing-components/processors/intel-we-could-easily-have-cpus-with-hundreds-of-cores-945723

From 2008 - thousands of cores:

http://www.cnet.com/news/intel-says-to-prepare-for-thousands-of-cores/

the max vcore was 1.38v@5ghz but its now 1.4v cos it might have degraded slightly when i ran 1.62v@5.35ghz. i run 5ghz 24/7 at the moment, but im thinking of dropping it to 4.8ghz@1.32v when gaming. 5ghz is needed for web browsing though.  :ph34r:

I envy that chip..mine seems to need 1.375 for 4.6Ghz and anything above that needs 1.4+v..Luuuucky! :ph34r:

i can compare it to the 6 core because an old 6core vs a newer 6core should be a thing. otherwise its like comparing the top C2Q to a 6 core i7. basically the 8 core should abitrate the older 6 core and im saying that the newer six core isn't even faster than the old one, at any clock speed.  

Well, comparing the FX 8350 against a Xeon is not a fair comparison at all, yet they have the same number of cores.

IMO, you have to look at these things based on where they fit in the market, based on their price. The 8150 originally took the x6's spot in the market and the 6100 took the x4's spot in the market.