Synology NAS is driving me crazy!

Hello everyone,

nice to meet you all.

I was watching a Linus Synology NAS video a few months back and I thought "Wow great product". I went on buying a 1 Disk NAS from Synology (Can't handle the budget for a 4 disk yet) and everything run smoothly since recently I found a super weird issue that I have never seen before. Give me some time to expand the issue because it is weird. You'll see.

We have 2 different shared folders and in them we have 2 different files:*

\\NAS1\Data\DOC LIB\PROJECT\video_bla_bla_bla.mp4

\\NAS1\video\NewFilms\A_total_legaly_downloaded_movie.mkv

First one is a video of a project. Second is a Movie. (duh). A few days ago I went on to open the movie file because it was sitting there for a long time aaaaaand… the Video bla bla started playing. I was like. WT*?

Before talking to synology support I tried copying files renaming etc but nothing. Having synology support help we did the bellow:

1.       Send a debug.dat file that synology support checked out and according to the support response “I analysed your debug file but I did not find any filesystem errors or issues that could indicate problems with your NAS.”

2.       Tried different players with no different result

3.       Mapped both Shared Folders to check if we get a different result but nothing.

4.       Cleared the SMB cache but no result.

5.       Tried comparing the size, format, length, etc, in File Station and Windows explore for both files but results were normal but also strange with the outcome of playing the file.

The results are:

Video bla bla  1,13GB

Video movie   8,73 GB**

Both times either I run .mp4 file or .mkv file - each from the corresponding location - I get a 36 minutes 53 seconds video. Both times the content of the video is the “Video bla bla”. That time length is normal for the bla bla video but not the movie.

Synology has no clue what is going on and now they are asking for remote access. While sending the debug file was “OK” the co-users of the NAS is NOT ok with giving remote access. Honestly I am not a big fan too. Has anyone ever experienced anything like that? The loss of that file is not the problem. I can download the file again. My biggest fear is that this could happen to other business files, PDF's, payment receipts etc.

Thanks in advance.

*names and paths slightly changed for ease of use in the thread

**If I remember correctly it was a 4K version of the film and the movie is 2 hours long. That's why the file is so big.

Edited by GHctB
Fixed sentences again