Does this Sabrent have 16 Gigabytes of DRAM?

Wizitchizit
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
1 hour ago, Wizitchizit said:

I'm thinking it might be that 16Gb = 2GB since that seems to be a standard amount for a 2TB Nvme. 

Does anyone have independent confirmation on the amount of DRAM? Or have a good resource for that kind of information?

The 1gb per tb is common for dram.

Id look at reviews of the drives performance, not specs, as there are many other factors to performance than dram, so don't just look at dram to see if a drive will be fast. Many very fast drives like the sn770 don't have dram.

This site (below) lists the DRAM as Hynix 8Gb*2. Am I reading this correctly as saying it has 16Gb of DRAM? Purchased it on sale, but the listing on Newegg doesn't say how much DRAM it has, and the below site is the only place that seems to list it. 

https://www.servethehome.com/sabrent-rocket-q4-2tb-pcie-gen4-m-2-nvme-ssd-review/

I'm thinking it might be that 16Gb = 2GB since that seems to be a standard amount for a 2TB Nvme. 

Does anyone have independent confirmation on the amount of DRAM? Or have a good resource for that kind of information?

1 hour ago, Wizitchizit said:

The 1gb per tb is common for dram.

Id look at reviews of the drives performance, not specs, as there are many other factors to performance than dram, so don't just look at dram to see if a drive will be fast. Many very fast drives like the sn770 don't have dram.

Here's a review on Tom's hardware:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sabrent-rocket-q4-m2-nvme-ssd-review

"The 4TB Rocket Q4 has two 8Gb SK hynix DDR4 DRAM ICs that operate at 1,600 MHz"

Pretty sure this is Gigabit, so 1GB per IC.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

@Electronics WizardyI did look at reviews and figured for the sale it was worth the price. Reviews did say speeds were slow once DRAM was saturated, so went looking for info on that. I think I'll be satisfied with the purchase though. 

@EigenvektorI did look at that review, but while looking at several reviews and using CTRL-F for DRAM and skimming I managed to miss the amounts. I still get annoyed with the Gb vs GB difference. Easy to miss, or mistake amounts. 

6 hours ago, Wizitchizit said:

@Electronics WizardyI did look at reviews and figured for the sale it was worth the price. Reviews did say speeds were slow once DRAM was saturated, so went looking for info on that. I think I'll be satisfied with the purchase though. 

THey probably meant the slc cache was saturated, as thats a common issue on qlc drives. I have yet to hear dram saturated as a issue before on ssds.