4K gaming monitor with great movie experience?

middle_pickup

With the current gpu nonsense ongoing I thought it might be a decent time to upgrade my monitor for a better gaming experience instead of my gpu, which is still a 1050ti. I'm a casual gamer, but enjoy watching media a lot too.

I'm thinking if I buy a 4K monitor I'll be able to watch my 4K content properly, and game in 1080p. Do any gaming monitors stand out for great performance for both?

I'm running a Gigabyte FI32U, and do really enjoy it for both content consumption and for gaming. It's 4k 144Hz, and it does look really nice. Plus, at least for mine, if I lower the resolution down to 1080p or 1440p, I can overclock the refresh rate to 240Hz (your mileage may vary). As far as I can tell it's the same panel as the cheaper Gigabyte M32U (pretty sure it's just missing some RGB and gamer bling), so unless you're like me and get it at a really good price second hand I'd probably go with that instead. 

Anything 2160p & 120-160hz will probably suffice.  Might be good to first determine what size/orientation/layout you want, so you can shop that size in the segment.  I'm used to a 40" display, and I can't go back.

On 2/6/2022 at 3:52 AM, zjdrummond said:

With the current gpu nonsense ongoing I thought it might be a decent time to upgrade my monitor for a better gaming experience instead of my gpu, which is still a 1050ti. I'm a casual gamer, but enjoy watching media a lot too.

I'm thinking if I buy a 4K monitor I'll be able to watch my 4K content properly, and game in 1080p. Do any gaming monitors stand out for great performance for both?

You will be better of buying a TV for that (48 inch OLED would be a good pick if you don't work on your main personal rig and don't mind dim panel, and OLED is great for gaming due to extremely low input lag)

Most gaming monitors are great for gaming but pretty bad for movies

In order to have a great movies experience, your monitor should be: 1. big, 2. offer good colour and contrast, and 3. has good HDR funtionality. Most good monitors are IPS which has poor contrast and good HDR simply doesn't exist on a PC side of thing when it comes to display (so 2 out of 3 were already failed.) Although if you don't mind any of those (and epecially HDR) it can be basically good enough. 

The only one exception to this rule right now is Aorus FV43U which is VA and basically the only PC monitor with good HDR at the moment but it has many drawbacks, like being pertty slow and has a very poor viewing angle. But more importantly, it's 43 inch which mean image looks pretty bad when you game on anything less than 4k (1440p maybe fine but it can be outright terrible when you reduced it to 1080p)