Feeling like it's time for a different kind of mouse.

B1scu1T

TL;DR

Long time Logitech fan, right back from the MX518 days, would like to know if any brand/model offers similar levels of longevity, comfort, and performance.

Longer story

The middle mouse on my G502 Proteus Spectrum (always hated the name) has given up the ghost, and Logitech service are not interested in replacing or servicing the mouse. Rather comically, they did offer me a 20% discount on their store, where all items are 40%+ more expensive than retailers.

It's had 5 years worth of heavy use (....time flies!), as can be seen by the TPE grip pads completely worn down and starting to fall apart, so I don't hold anything against them, but given it's predecessors (the G5 and MX518) are both still going strong in friends/family computers, I figured maybe it might be time to at least investigate the market, rather than just immediately buying the new version of essentially the same thing. To be clear here, I'm a MASSIVE fan of Logitech peripherals. I have a wireless mouse for my laptop, I have a trackball for my work laptop, I have one of their PTZ cameras, webcams, harmony remote... I have loads of faith in them.

Despite reading multiple reviews, forum threads, guides, watching videos... all kinds of stuff from all kind of outlets, I'm feeling a little bit fatigued by it all and hoping for a little bit of human interaction.

I'm not a streamer, or a pro gamer, I'm just a home casual gamer that like strategy and FPS games. I do also do 3D and 2D CAD design.

Wireless isnt something I have really considered, seems pointless as my keyboard is wired, but if someone is in the same situation as me and can make a compelling case for it's benefits... then I'm all ears

Ideally I would go to a computer store and check them out in person, but I really don't live anywhere near one. So... I'm curious to hear peoples stories.

How are Razer in terms of longevity and/or warranty? The Basilisk 3 looks pretty interesting and ticks a lot of boxes.

Corsair have generally been a reliable brand for other things, and the M65 looks very nice.

Roccat are another company I have always liked the look of, but never taken the plunge.The Kone AIMO looks very tempting.

The Asus ROG Chakram Core with the Joystick looks like it would be SUPER useful for CAD.... but are Asus peripherals any good? My Asus laptop is solidly built enough, but I don't know how much that's worth.

Has anyone else switched away from the logitech style mice and been far happier with something else?

7 minutes ago, Error 52 said:

I can't speak too much to the rest of this, but if you want strong build quality definitely stay the fuck away from Razer. Also Razer's software is complete ass.

I have actually experienced this software issue with my HDMI streamer box (used for online training)... I guess I had blocked that experience out so good shout!

I've used (at various times) Gigabyte, Logitech and MSI mice.  Had good results with all of them.  MSI I still use, and hopefully will for a while.  I am used to their macro/lighting/dpi/mapping software.

17 hours ago, Error 52 said:

I can't speak too much to the rest of this, but if you want strong build quality definitely stay the fuck away from Razer. Also Razer's software is complete ass.

imo the razer viper mini doesn't seem that bad, but yea generally most razer products are a work of shit.

2 minutes ago, flaxe said:

imo the razer viper mini doesn't seem that bad, but yea generally most razer products are a work of shit.

Which is a shame, as the Basilik 3 really does tick a lot of boxes on paper.

I have to admit, my original impression of the Razer mice was always quite poor upon trying them in the past... but Razer are a much bigger company than they were the last time I was in a computer shop looking at mice.

15 minutes ago, IPD said:

My ongoing impression is that Razer product tests for durability about as well as the XBOX 360 was.

Maybe at one time. But that  is hardly unusual for companies to start out with decent products to get worse once they get big.

I've ordered a Corsair M65 Elite. It was actually cheaper than the G502 Hero on Amazon, so I thought I would give it a go. Given that's nearly half of the Roccat or the Razer and I'm not a serious gamer... I reckon it will suit me.

Once it arrives, I might see if I can dismantle the G502 and fix the middle button. Doesn't look straight forward though.

I'm using an Anker Vertical Mouse and I love it. I was having wrist problems with a regular mouse so I made the switch to a vertical mouse. It takes a bit to get used to it, especially for gaming, but it's worth it. 

Why not get an MX518 again? They've remade them with the Hero sensor and they are widely available now. I'm probably going to be switching back to one soon as they were one of the only mice I've ever used that didn't cause my hands to go numb and I think I've tried almost every high performance mouse I can find over the last few years.

I've tried vertical mice too and neat concept but I can't get used to aiming with one. Plus my hands still go numb, so. Damn you carpal tunnel.

As for Razer products I have been using them since the Boomslang and never had issues with them. The only Razer mouse I ever had fail on me was a Lachesis many years ago. I've had Deathadders up the wazoo and they last for years, long enough that I can cycle them through family members. Razer software isn't great but it's getting better.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

15 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

Why not get an MX518 again?

To be honest, I hadn't looked at it. It is quite expensive though.

I tend to switch to trackballs when my hand starts to give me bother. Couple of weeks with the MX Ergo gives me a bit of a break.

1 hour ago, B1scu1T said:

To be honest, I hadn't looked at it. It is quite expensive though.

I tend to switch to trackballs when my hand starts to give me bother. Couple of weeks with the MX Ergo gives me a bit of a break.

Yeah cost is the only thing stopping me right now, I'm waiting for a sale to pick one up. They often drop down near the $50 CAD mark.

I have issues with trackballs. The ones I used when I was kid in public school were on the old Icon Unisys interfaces and I think I still have nightmares about them.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

5 hours ago, ApolloX75 said:

Yeah cost is the only thing stopping me right now, I'm waiting for a sale to pick one up. They often drop down near the $50 CAD mark.

I have issues with trackballs. The ones I used when I was kid in public school were on the old Icon Unisys interfaces and I think I still have nightmares about them.

The MX Ergo is considerably more pleasant to use. I particularly like trackballs for work when I'm on the go as you can use them on tiny little tables without needing much space. A trackball is better than any trackpad if you're doing any kind of graphics or design work. Would never even consider it for gaming.

They do take a lot of getting used to, and it makes me laugh when I pass my laptop to someone and they grab hold of them and try to move it around the desk.

After trying logitech, Corsair, Steelseries and cooler master I’ve settled with Razer. The viper ultimate to be exact and it’s been solid for me, dunno what people have against the software, honestly it’s the best one I’ve used for a peripheral. Also have one of their keyboards now which I’ve had for around a year which is also solid. Durability is fine has no issues and they use optical switches which are miles better then the Omerons in most other mice. 

How strange, the M65 will only work properly directly connected to the computer, and not through a USB Dock.

Software doesn't recognise it otherwise.

Not totally sold on this just yet, that is a very odd annoyance due to the way my desk is arranged.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 5:28 PM, B1scu1T said:

TL;DR

Long time Logitech fan, right back from the MX518 days, would like to know if any brand/model offers similar levels of longevity, comfort, and performance.

Longer story

The middle mouse on my G502 Proteus Spectrum (always hated the name) has given up the ghost, and Logitech service are not interested in replacing or servicing the mouse. Rather comically, they did offer me a 20% discount on their store, where all items are 40%+ more expensive than retailers.

It's had 5 years worth of heavy use (....time flies!), as can be seen by the TPE grip pads completely worn down and starting to fall apart, so I don't hold anything against them, but given it's predecessors (the G5 and MX518) are both still going strong in friends/family computers, I figured maybe it might be time to at least investigate the market, rather than just immediately buying the new version of essentially the same thing. To be clear here, I'm a MASSIVE fan of Logitech peripherals. I have a wireless mouse for my laptop, I have a trackball for my work laptop, I have one of their PTZ cameras, webcams, harmony remote... I have loads of faith in them.

Despite reading multiple reviews, forum threads, guides, watching videos... all kinds of stuff from all kind of outlets, I'm feeling a little bit fatigued by it all and hoping for a little bit of human interaction.

I'm not a streamer, or a pro gamer, I'm just a home casual gamer that like strategy and FPS games. I do also do 3D and 2D CAD design.

Wireless isnt something I have really considered, seems pointless as my keyboard is wired, but if someone is in the same situation as me and can make a compelling case for it's benefits... then I'm all ears

Ideally I would go to a computer store and check them out in person, but I really don't live anywhere near one. So... I'm curious to hear peoples stories.

How are Razer in terms of longevity and/or warranty? The Basilisk 3 looks pretty interesting and ticks a lot of boxes.

Corsair have generally been a reliable brand for other things, and the M65 looks very nice.

Roccat are another company I have always liked the look of, but never taken the plunge.The Kone AIMO looks very tempting.

The Asus ROG Chakram Core with the Joystick looks like it would be SUPER useful for CAD.... but are Asus peripherals any good? My Asus laptop is solidly built enough, but I don't know how much that's worth.

Has anyone else switched away from the logitech style mice and been far happier with something else?

Get the GPX superlight. GOD tier mouse. Light but tremendous build quality.  It is expensive but will last years. Regular G pro wireless is decent too as is the G305. 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

On 2/4/2022 at 6:26 AM, IPD said:

My ongoing impression is that Razer product tests for durability about as well as the XBOX 360 was.

Razer being crap is very very outdated information. Razer is at the top of their game with their mice. Viper mini, viper ultimate, orochi v2 are all godly mice. Their huntsman line of keyboards are excellent for the price too. 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

10 minutes ago, Ryan829 said:

Razer being crap is very very outdated information. Razer is at the top of their game with their mice. Viper mini, viper ultimate, orochi v2 are all godly mice. Their huntsman line of keyboards are excellent for the price too. 

Based on what long-term durability study.  Please post source data.

Just now, IPD said:

Based on what long-term durability study.  Please post source data.

Oh just 100% anecdotal. I am not claiming anything to be a fact lol. I have a viper mini and orochi v2 that are like the day I bought them, but they are only about a year old. I prefer logitech mice overall, but the good ones are expensive. ( ~120 for gpx, ~85 for g pro wireless). 

2 minutes ago, Ryan829 said:

Oh just 100% anecdotal. I am not claiming anything to be a fact lol. I have a viper mini and orochi v2 that are like the day I bought them, but they are only about a year old. I prefer logitech mice overall, but the good ones are expensive. ( ~120 for gpx, ~85 for g pro wireless). 

I've used an MSI intereceptor DS100 for 5+ years before getting double-clicking issues.  And I'm currently 3+ years into use on an Interceptor DS300.  And I don't even think MSI is the paragon of durability--just above average.  Gonna take a lot to convince me Razer is on that level even.

7 minutes ago, IPD said:

I've used an MSI intereceptor DS100 for 5+ years before getting double-clicking issues.  And I'm currently 3+ years into use on an Interceptor DS300.  And I don't even think MSI is the paragon of durability--just above average.  Gonna take a lot to convince me Razer is on that level even.

We will see with this Orochi V2. It gets about 8 hours of use a day at my office job. It has held up so far over the past year or so. Do yourself a favor though and grab a logitech mouse. MSI makes pretty decent stuff. I have had luck with their motherboards personally. 

On 2/23/2022 at 10:08 PM, Ryan829 said:

To be honest, I had completely forgotten that I had replaced my keyboard with a Razer when I made this thread, and it developed chattering recently. It's less than a year old, and I've already had to replace it.

The Tecware Phantom that's taken it's place is bang for buck, streets ahead.

Given my experience with the Ripsaw software, and the Blackwidow lite, I wont be going near Razer again.

The switches on the Razer are made by TTC, and although they feel pretty nice, they're absolute garbage quality for such an expensive keyboard.
I'm going to strip the board back to it's bones and customise it given both the retailer and Razer are wriggling out of any responsibility for support.

• 1 month later...

I've already had to replace my M65 Elite with an RMA. They supplied me a refurbished one, which I would be less annoyed by if the original wasn't 6mo old.

The mouse stopped responding to left and right clicks the first time, occasionally sending double clicks.

I'm starting to get slightly concerned that even a matter of weeks on, the refurbished one is also starting to miss some of my clicks.

I'd avoid this mouse like the plague to be honest. It#s nice to use but looking around, this seems to be a common issue.

5 minutes ago, B1scu1T said:

I've already had to replace my M65 Elite with an RMA. They supplied me a refurbished one, which I would be less annoyed by if the original wasn't 6mo old.

The mouse stopped responding to left and right clicks the first time, occasionally sending double clicks.

I'm starting to get slightly concerned that even a matter of weeks on, the refurbished one is also starting to miss some of my clicks.

I'd avoid this mouse like the plague to be honest. It#s nice to use but looking around, this seems to be a common issue.

It's a common issue on anything with Omron switches, which is basically all gaming mice now except the ones using optical switches. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16