NVIDIA 30 Series HDMI Audio Distortion and Dropout?

Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

Check with LatencyMon if there is a particular program causing an issue -> 

Hello,

I've been having a weird problem with audio over HDMI to TV and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem, and if so, if they discovered a solution for it.

I have an RTX 3080 Ti connected to a TV with a 4K 120hz connection, and the audio works fine for probably around 30 minutes, then it gets distorted and eventually completely cuts off. I have tried 3 different HDMI cables (rated for the full 48gbps spec of HDMI 2.1) and they all eventually showed this problem.

I have found a temporary fix, but it's still annoying to get up mid-movie and mess with the audio settings to get it working again. That is to change the sample rate from 48000 hz from 44100 hz and then back to 48000 hz. I don't have any idea why this fixes it temporarily, but it seems to.

Has anyone else encountered a similar issue, and if so, found a solution I could try?

Thank you!

Just now, dilpickle said:

What TV? HDMI audio issues are common on the 30 series.

It's a Hisense U8G. I at first thought it might have been the TV doing something weird with its audio processing or something, but other HDMI inputs do not have any audio problems, and apps running on the TV do not either. I have tried multiple different audio outputs as well, from optical, headphone output and Bluetooth (I don't have a device that accepts an ARC signal) and narrowed it down that it wasn't the problem going from the TV to the speakers (connection-wise at least).

Windows 10 or 11?  Unexplainable thing's I'd have to blame on 11 but that's a shot in the dark.  If any drivers are up to date it would be nvidia

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

8 hours ago, Psittac said:

Windows 10 or 11?  Unexplainable thing's I'd have to blame on 11 but that's a shot in the dark.  If any drivers are up to date it would be nvidia

Windows 10, I have tried updating and reinstalling my graphics drivers as well. I might try DDU and reinstall them again after that and see if it still happens.

it’s just weird to me that changing, then changing back the sample rate can fix it temporarily.

On 1/29/2022 at 2:47 PM, ShearMe said:

Good idea! I’ll give that a shot today. I asked EVGA if they have heard anything about other people having similar problems and they said it might be a faulty card. They gave me a few steps to try, and I will try those as well and report back with what I find.

On 1/29/2022 at 2:47 PM, ShearMe said:

I believe I finally fixed it.

I'm not 100% sure what actually ended up fixing it, but here's what I ended up doing.

1. I tried LatencyMon, and it said that it was possible that my system was having issues with real-time audio streams, and the culprit seemed to be my headset drivers (an old Plantronics GameCom 780). That driver was at some points hitting around 1000 micro-seconds, of DPC routine execution time, causing LatencyMon to state that there might be an issue.
  2. Just in case, since the audio issue was only happening through my HDMI of my video card and no other sources, I used DDU to uninstall my current video drivers (two times, just to be safe) and then I reinstalled them through GeForce Experience, and set everything back up in the Nvidia Control Panel.
  3. (Probably the most likely solution): I uninstalled the driver for my headset, and rebooted. At first, the audio setting I had it at, 48000hz, started to distort and crackle after a few minutes, but setting it to 44100hz seemed to fix it permanently. Even after a couple of hours of testing, LatencyMon says that my system is suitable for handling real-time audio without dropouts now. Just to be fitting for the date, I tested it by watching Groundhog Day and there were no more audio issues. (I even think the video was less stuttery, but that could just be placebo.)

Thank you for pointing this software out to me! I'm glad to finally have it sorted out.

• 8 months later...
Bro, just fixed my crackling audio through HDMI issue using this. Wanna leave the link here if someone on the future searches for this.
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-line-based-vs-message-signaled-based-interrupts-msi-tool.378044/

• 8 months later...
On 10/22/2022 at 6:28 PM, RafaelSoaresP said:
Bro, just fixed my crackling audio through HDMI issue using this. Wanna leave the link here if someone on the future searches for this.

For me the High Definition Audio Controller wasn't set to MSI mode. The tool you linked fixed the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

POSSIBLE SOLUTION! Worked for me at least!

I had an issue with sound popping/crackling and eventually cutting out completely.

Either with stereo, 5.1, 7.1 or Atmos

My setup is

PC ---HDMI 2.1---> LG C1
PC ---DP to HDMI adapter---> ---HDMI 2.1---> Denon AVR-X2200W

I have it setup this way instead of PC -> Receiver -> TV because G-SYNC wont work when going through the receiver.

Anyway:
My TV was set to 4k@120hz, and receiver set to 1080p@60.

The solution for the sound issues was to set the receiver to 120hz!?

• 6 months later...

I updated from a 1070ti to a 3080. Got crackinling and audio drop outs straight away. 

1. I used DDU, reinstalled nivida drivers again. 

temp fix

2. Had installed process lasso and assigned the Audiodg.exe processes to core 0 and priority to high. 

temp fix. 

3. Took off the power throttlingusing this method. Seems to have worked for now.......

4. Will try this next

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-line-based-vs-message-signaled-based-interrupts-msi-tool.378044/