Macrium REFLECT ERROR: Can't clone HDD to SSD

katka

I simply cannot get it to work. All I want to do is to clone a 240gb HDD with win 10 to a 240 gb SSD. Out of thse 240 gb on HDD, only 130ish are with data, the other 100ish are free space. I've used this program before so I'm not a newb but it simply doesnt want to work (I should also mention that I've tried using AOMEI and again, didnt work).

This is the error I get when I try to clone it: Clone failed - Error 0 - Read failed - 23 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check).-Error reading MFT - Error code = 2. Please run 'chkdsk C: /r'

image attached: https://imgur.com/a/FzAKEix

Obviously I've tried using chkdsk C: /r, even /f, after 4 hours of '/r' I tried again and still doesnt work. I tried checking online for some fixes but nothing that helped so far. I also do NOT use any antiviruses.

I really need to clone it, the option for a fresh install and copy the important files and then reinstall the softwares is a no. I simply dont have time for that, there are to many softwares to install and most importantly to configure that I really do not have time for that. Can someone help me clone this hdd? What's causing this error? I'm simply out of ideas/solutions. Waiting for reply, thanks

1 hour ago, fruit bat said:

I simply cannot get it to work. All I want to do is to clone a 240gb HDD with win 10 to a 240 gb SSD. Out of thse 240 gb on HDD, only 130ish are with data, the other 100ish are free space. I've used this program before so I'm not a newb but it simply doesnt want to work (I should also mention that I've tried using AOMEI and again, didnt work).

This is the error I get when I try to clone it: Clone failed - Error 0 - Read failed - 23 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check).-Error reading MFT - Error code = 2. Please run 'chkdsk C: /r'

image attached: https://imgur.com/a/FzAKEix

Obviously I've tried using chkdsk C: /r, even /f, after 4 hours of '/r' I tried again and still doesnt work. I tried checking online for some fixes but nothing that helped so far. I also do NOT use any antiviruses.

I really need to clone it, the option for a fresh install and copy the important files and then reinstall the softwares is a no. I simply dont have time for that, there are to many softwares to install and most importantly to configure that I really do not have time for that. Can someone help me clone this hdd? What's causing this error? I'm simply out of ideas/solutions. Waiting for reply, thanks

so.. how to fix this?

1 hour ago, fruit bat said:

Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Drive is dying. It has bad sectors and the only disk clone tool I know of that you can force past that is Norton GHOST (the old old old DOS version, with command line switches)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

19 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Drive is dying. It has bad sectors and the only disk clone tool I know of that you can force past that is Norton GHOST (the old old old DOS version, with command line switches)

Kinda sucks if someones trying to clone a dying hdd and the clone software just goes "nope!" …

Anyway, these guys say they can (wouldnt surprise me if macrium can too as their biggest competitor…)

https://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/clone-resource/clone-failing-hard-drive-to-new-hdd-ssd.html

note: there seem to be different instructions for either data or OS drives… i dunno. 🤔

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, I had a hard drive that stubbornly wouldn't clone or image, giving me "Error 0 - Read failed - 23 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check)". I tried everything suggested in this and other forums to no avail. Windows disk checking, CHKDSK /R, DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, sfc /scannow, turning off the Verify File System options in various places, the "Forensic Sector Copy" under Advanced Options when cloning, the "Ignore bad sectors when creating images" option under Other Tasks -> Edit Defaults and Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Advanced Backup Settings ... none of it worked. 

I visited the Macrium forum and found this post which solved my problem with a post from Matt92:
https://forum.macrium.com/55961/Reflect-Home-Error-9-Read-Failed-23?PageIndex=2

Matt92 seemed to have had a similar problem that I did (mine was slightly different), and he seemed to have tried all the same stuff I did. However, he used a third party disk repair tool, Hard Disk Sentinel Pro, to further identify and correct some bad sectors that CHKDSK /R wouldn't correct. 

It seemed unbelievable to me that CHKDSK would fail to repair sectors that were still repairable, but upon using a third party disk repair tool, the sectors were repaired. Thereafter I was able to clone the drive without the dreaded Error 0 - Read failed - 23 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check) bug. 

I wanted to post my corroborating evidence on the Macrium Forum, but I don't have a Supported version of their product that would allow me to post to the Forum. So I found this page in a Google Search result and figured I'd pass along my success story. Hopefully it helps someone else!