Looking for recommendations, new lightweight laptop

linnoff

As the title says, I'm looking for recommendations for a new laptop. Usage wise it will be almost exclusively web browsing, but if it could do light gaming (hearthstone, League of legends) that would be a plus. I'm thinking something with integrated graphics.

I'm thinking 13-15 inch screen, good wifi, 500gb-1tb storage, 16 gb ram, good battery life. Hopefully a usb A port (though I know those are getting harder to find). I watch a lot of youtube and netflix, so some decent speakers would be a big plus.

Currently have a dell xps 13 2-in-1 from early 2020 that has been trouble from day 1. I could write pages on all the problems I've had with this computer, but point is, I would prefer to avoid Dell unless someone is very convincing otherwise.

Every laptop is "thin and light" these days.  They all suck for cooling.  You want integrated graphics, that's virtually any non-gaming laptop on the market; but you're generally going to have better results with AMD igpu's than Intel's--unless you are talking 12th gen.  "Decent speakers" is a laughable idea for most laptops, especially when you get down in to the 13" range.  That's what headphones are for.  Most are going to use very similar models of wifi card.  Battery life will often be better on a smaller screen with a crappier resolution. 

ammd microsoft surface pros are pretty insane I would say
my brother has one, (13", amd laptop 3600, integrated graphics, 16gb ram, amazing screen, less than 1.2 kg!) and it would be perfect in your applications.
the res is 2k, he actually plays off speakers cause he likes them a lot, and it stays under 70c despite being a metal body
it lasts him his school day and more (9+ hours).
and the colours! his is like the reddish one and it is beautiful
he has the 512gb ssd option
it has a usb a port and usb c
for gaming it gets him 100+ fps at vallorannt at 2k resolution
Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

2 hours ago, linnoff said:

As the title says, I'm looking for recommendations for a new laptop. Usage wise it will be almost exclusively web browsing, but if it could do light gaming (hearthstone, League of legends) that would be a plus. I'm thinking something with integrated graphics.

I'm thinking 13-15 inch screen, good wifi, 500gb-1tb storage, 16 gb ram, good battery life. Hopefully a usb A port (though I know those are getting harder to find). I watch a lot of youtube and netflix, so some decent speakers would be a big plus.

Currently have a dell xps 13 2-in-1 from early 2020 that has been trouble from day 1. I could write pages on all the problems I've had with this computer, but point is, I would prefer to avoid Dell unless someone is very convincing otherwise.

What's your budget? And do you have an OS preference? I'd be tempted to suggest a MacBook Air if you can configure (or find) one with 16GB of RAM and enough storage. It'll play Hearthstone and LoL (probably not optimally due to code translation, but they're not demanding games), the battery life is great, and the speakers are better than you'd expect. There's no USB-A ports, but you can always get an adapter or hub.

On the Windows side? ThinkPad X1 Nano or X1 Yoga, Acer Swift X, Surface Laptop 4.  Ruling out a Dell arguably rules out a typically good choice (the XPS 13 regular model), but those options should be solid.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

What's your budget? And do you have an OS preference? I'd be tempted to suggest a MacBook Air if you can configure (or find) one with 16GB of RAM and enough storage. It'll play Hearthstone and LoL (probably not optimally due to code translation, but they're not demanding games), the battery life is great, and the speakers are better than you'd expect. There's no USB-A ports, but you can always get an adapter or hub.

On the Windows side? ThinkPad X1 Nano or X1 Yoga, Acer Swift X, Surface Laptop 4.  Ruling out a Dell arguably rules out a typically good choice (the XPS 13 regular model), but those options should be solid.

I know I'm awaiting the refresh of the surface laptop line to include 12th gen/Ryzen 6000. If the Ryzen 6800U ends up being an option in the surface laptop line (I think it will since they had the 4980U) means it would be one hell of a hard device to beat. I know my Surface Pro 3 has been a trooper for ages. Microsoft build quality is pretty hard to beat. 

17 minutes ago, BDsankey said:

I know I'm awaiting the refresh of the surface laptop line to include 12th gen/Ryzen 6000. If the Ryzen 6800U ends up being an option in the surface laptop line (I think it will since they had the 4980U) means it would be one hell of a hard device to beat. I know my Surface Pro 3 has been a trooper for ages. Microsoft build quality is pretty hard to beat. 

Microsoft build quality in terms of chassis stability is good. Overall build quality is very much a gamble. With how locked down and glued together the surface line is, you either get a good one or RMA's for days since there's no way to fix half their machines without a heat gun.

The LG Grams are another option, Samsung also makes a few Galaxy Books which are options. HP's Envy line is also pretty good for the price, or you could jump up to the Spectres though you lose USB A

59 minutes ago, Qyygle said:

Microsoft build quality in terms of chassis stability is good. Overall build quality is very much a gamble. With how locked down and glued together the surface line is, you either get a good one or RMA's for days since there's no way to fix half their machines without a heat gun.

The LG Grams are another option, Samsung also makes a few Galaxy Books which are options. HP's Envy line is also pretty good for the price, or you could jump up to the Spectres though you lose USB A

After the abuse I put my surface pro 3 through I wouldn't hesitate to get another "Surface" product.

Thanks for the responses!

I had a macbook air from 2010-2017 that I was pretty happy with, but I'm not an apple user otherwise, so I'd probably opt toward Windows, especially since the new M1s have zero upgradability.

I'm surprised there are so many votes for the surface, but those were on my list, so I will definitely keep them there.

I will most likely be getting/waiting for ryzen 6000 or intel 12th gen. Probably opting for AMD unless the design I like is Intel only.

i'd also recommend a Macbook Air. Coming from an XPS, this will be an Upgrade in most Aspects.

And also, it beats pretty much every single Windows Device when it comes to the combination of Performance + Batterylife + Heat/Noise (as there is no Noise and will never be).

On Top, Display and Speakers are the best you can find in the pricerange, Trackpad is the best, making the usability the best (clicks everywhere, MacOS gestures are better than Windows ones).

Almost just because of the Trackpad, it would be my first choice for Browsing the Web.
Display + Speakers make it also one of the best choices for Netflix.

And it does all that with 15-16 hours batterylife, that NO Windows competitor will come close to.

Why look somewhere else?

If a Surface with Ryzen 6000 is gonna be hard to beat, i wouldn't be so sure about that. The Surface Laptop 4 with Intel 11th Gen 4-Core and Ryzen 4000 8-Core was beaten by an m1 Macbook pretty easily:

10 hours ago, linnoff said:

Thanks for the responses!

I had a macbook air from 2010-2017 that I was pretty happy with, but I'm not an apple user otherwise, so I'd probably opt toward Windows, especially since the new M1s have zero upgradability.

I'm surprised there are so many votes for the surface, but those were on my list, so I will definitely keep them there.

I will most likely be getting/waiting for ryzen 6000 or intel 12th gen. Probably opting for AMD unless the design I like is Intel only.

Go for the MacBook, no thin and light laptop has upgradeability now it’s the nature of the beast. 

Wait for the new amd laptops with rdna2 graphics or just buy a mba if you don't mind the lack of gaming support or a Aero 13 from hp

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

On 1/28/2022 at 9:21 AM, rikitikitavi said:

As it was mentioned before, if you need it 'today' - Apple M1 laptop with 16GB is probably your best bet.

LoL runs even on M1 w/ 7 graphic cores (cheapest) - check out the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7XpyK-Iwdc

Who knows, maybe Riot will finally release a native port at some point...

8GB is enough for the workload mentioned

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

2 hours ago, fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead said:

"8GB is enough" as a recommendation in 2022 is a comment along the lines of:

"640k ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates

"WTF did all these Indians come from?"  - George Custer

"Honey, I'm going on a fishing trip with the guys, the day of our anniversary"

"No, babe.  That dress doesn't make you look fat.  Vision makes you look fat"

23 minutes ago, IPD said:

"8GB is enough" as a recommendation in 2022 is a comment along the lines of:

"640k ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates

"WTF did all these Indians come from?"  - George Custer

"Honey, I'm going on a fishing trip with the guys, the day of our anniversary"

"No, babe.  That dress doesn't make you look fat.  Vision makes you look fat"

You are the one who is in the lines of the quotes several of which isn't true. The unified memory functions differently than normal ram if you see the review of the MacBook's and search about 8gb or 16gb ram for macbook air YouTube the majority say it is okay or rather excellent. This is one of the bad critics which take quotes out of context.

On 1/30/2022 at 1:23 AM, fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead said:

Fair enough, if that's how it's going to be used until the owner needs it no more.

However, as experience shows, sometimes beefing up 'a bit' might help in the long run.