Windows 11 - Insider Program - Master Thread

GoodBytes
On 2/16/2022 at 10:46 PM, SansVarnic said:

Honestly I wish they would remove the recommended from the start menu you when you turn off recommendations. It stands out as an annoyance to me. 🤷‍♂️

I like it showing me recent apps and files. The problem I have the recommended section is that it shows files from all over the system. It will show pictures I recently took on my phone, which I don't care in having there. It will show some rando config file of some app. I already got an icon image that I was working on from a personal project in there. If I can say "Documents" folder only, or define the file extensions (so that I can add Project folders, but only have the IDE workspace/project file to show), it would be a lot more useful for me.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:46 PM, SansVarnic said:

Not cool. [rhetorical] what is I cant get internet, will it not let me use the device? Dumb.

I know that is over reacting but still.

I don't mind, personally. However, I am all for choice. So an option for an offline account should be there.

Silly features like using how one uses their systems for ads, should not be there. Keep it as an option to sign up to join into the ecosystem, and usability benefits (example: sync between systems), and not on user activity tracking. I think this will help make sure be more comfortable in making an account instead of opting for offline account.

I am late to the party, sorry, I was busy. But a new build has arrived.

Didn't really reserved time on my day as it is minor one, with all the feature in A/B testing and limited release... soo probably few will get them.

I have none of them, on any of my devices, so can't take screen shots. I'll just post whatever MS posted.

Build 22563

For Touch screen devices, when no keyboard is attached, the task bar will now go in this collapsed mode. Swiping up will show the full task bar, like so:

tablet-taskbar-graphic.png

Microsoft says:

There are two states of this taskbar: collapsed and expanded. In the collapsed state, the taskbar gets out your way, gives you more screen space, and prevents you from accidentally invoking the taskbar when you’re holding your tablet. In the expanded state, the taskbar is optimized to be easier to use with touch. You can easily switch between the two states by swiping up and down on the bottom of your device.

The option is under: Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Taskbar behaviors

Minor layout improvements on the Widget panel:

widgetsnew.png

Basically the "Add Widget" button is now next to the profile icon at the top right of the panel.

New Bluetooth Management panel:

bluetooth-quick-settings.png

When you click on the "Bluetooth" button (or arrow next to it), I am not sure, I don't have it as I mentioned, but the above panel will show, where you can see your device battery life when connected (assuming they support this feature) and quickly connect/disconnect your devices.

I can't wait to try this feature. It is something that is very practical.

Windows Snap Improvement

Suggested Snap window, now considers recent Edge tabs

We’ve made it even easier to snap the most relevant windows next to each other side by side by introducing Microsoft Edge tabs as suggested windows in snap assist. When a window is snapped, you will now see 3 of your most recent Edge tabs shown (by default) as suggestions. You can always control whether to show Microsoft Edge tabs and number of tabs shown when snapping or pressing ALT + TAB via Settings > System > Multitasking.

Emoji:

37 new emoji as part of Emoji 14.0

Emoji14Samples.png

Lock Screen

Accessibility panel now has been updated to Windows 11 look & feel:

access-flyout.jpg

Task Manager:

• Search from Quick Access has been expanded to include content from your OneDrive, Downloads, and any indexed location. Use Quick Access to find results fast.
  • Files in Quick Access without any local presence (for example, files shared to you from another OneDrive) now show thumbnails and work with OneDrive sharing.

What's Fixes:

General

• Improved login performance for a specific case where someone had a very large temp folder.
  • Fixed a few issues impacting explorer.exe reliability.
  • Updated the volume flyout when using the hardware keys on your keyboard to account for cases where there is no working audio.

Taskbar

• The auto-hide taskbar will now stay expanded while you use Task View to switch Desktops.
  • When dragging a file or app to the taskbar, we’ve updated the message next to the mouse showing what is and is not supported to now respond to dark mode and contrast themes.
  • Fixed a cyclical explorer.exe crash that was happening for people using the French (Canada) display language, related to the battery icon tooltip.
  • Updated the mute icon in the taskbar so that the tooltip now gives a hint for the keyboard shortcut (WIN + Alt + K).

Tablet-optimized taskbar

NOTE: These fixes will only show if tablet-optimized taskbar is enabled on your device. Please see above for details on the tablet-optimized taskbar, which is beginning to roll out to Windows Insiders and not yet available for everyone.

• The top border line of taskbar now extends across the entire taskbar instead of stopping just before the system tray area.
  • The button styling for the hidden icons flyout is now consistent with the design of the rest of the system tray buttons.
  • The taskbar should no longer flicker when switching input methods or during other scenarios where system tray icons are added and removed.

Start menu

• Fixed an issue that was causing the Start menu to not open consistently with the new touch gesture where you swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
  • When recommended items are newly added or removed, their icons will now be animated to fade in and out.
  • The sleep icon in the power menu is no longer incorrectly showing as a bell.
  • Fixed an issue causing the apostrophe in the power button tooltip to not display correctly.
  • Names of apps in folders no longer appear blurred briefly when opening folders in Start.
  • Fixed a crash some people were encountering when trying to share an app from the All apps list.

File Explorer

• Fixed an issue where the OneDrive icon wouldn’t show up in the File Explorer command bar sometimes when it should have.
  • Removed a random white dot that was appearing in the context menu when right clicking on File Explorer’s title bar in dark mode.

Input

• Made some improvements to the emoji search results based on feedback, including generally putting a stronger preference in the search results to the exact name match of emoji (for example, the balloon emoji first when searching for balloon) over the various other emoji that might be returned for those keywords.
  • Fixed an issue causing Insiders to not see the updated Korean IME design in the previous flight.
  • Fixed a couple issues with the coloring in the IME candidate window.
  • Mitigated a crash that was happening when attempting to access the Personalization > Text Input in Settings after upgrading if you had customized your touch keyboard appearance.
  • Addressed an explorer.exe crash that could happen when switching input methods.
  • Improved the performance of launching the input switcher for the first time.
  • If you have “Show accent color on Start and Taskbar” enabled in Color Settings, the input switcher background color will now follow that preference.
  • Fixed the Typing link name in the touch keyboard settings options, so it matches the Settings page that opens.
  • System > Clipboard in Settings now explains why the “Sync across your devices” option could be grayed out.
  • Added text to the emoji panel to help explain certain scenarios where emoji search results aren’t supported.

Search

• We’ve done some more work to reduce the chance that the recent searches flyout could get stuck on the screen.
  • We’ve addressed an issue in recent Dev Channel builds leading to some Insiders experiencing an issue where search would open, but only show a magnifying glass in the window and not display any results. If you continue experiencing issues, please file feedback under Desktop Environment > Search with details about what exactly you are seeing.

Settings

• Addressed an issue where pop up dialogs (for example, when adding an optional feature, or when configuring your IP address) in Settings were launching left aligned instead of centered.
  • Addressed an issue where RSAT: DNS Server Tools would show that it was installed in Optional Features if you attempted to install it but wouldn’t actually be installed.
  • Fixed an issue where Display settings might not show the option to change refresh rate when your PC was in portrait mode.
  • Settings should no longer crash when attempting to uninstall apps via Apps > Installed apps when your User Account Control settings are set to Always Notify.
  • Windows Update > Update History should show history for feature updates again with this build.
  • Mitigated an issue related to the Windows Update page that could make Settings hang.
  • The link to give feedback in Settings > System > Notifications will now take you directly to notifications feedback section in the Feedback Hub.
  • Fixed an issue preventing you from adding Bluetooth or Cast to the Quick Settings flyout.
  • The media controls above Quick Settings should now show when you open media or hide when you close media more reliably.
  • Fixed an issue where the number in the volume popup that opens when you use your hardware keys didn’t match the volume number in Quick Settings.
  • Improved the positioning of the Accessibility flyout above the button on the login screen.
  • Fixed an issue that was occasionally causing certain Bluetooth devices to not auto-connect after powering on or resuming your PC from sleep/hibernate.

Widgets

• With the taskbar left-aligned, information such as temperature is now shown.
  • Fixed an issue where Widgets weather info may have shown different information across a multi-monitor setup.

Task Manager

• Did some work to help address an issue where the navigation bar in the updated Task Manager design was showing black glitches when you launched Task Manager from a minimized state.

Windowing

• Fixed an issue that was preventing you from using the minimize, maximize, and close buttons on maximized apps (and other scenarios) because Notification Center had kept focus.
  • Did some work to improve the smoothness of the animation when invoking Task View using the 3-finger on screen gesture.
  • Improved general reliability of ALT + Tab to help address scenarios where it could get stuck.
  • Addressed an issue that was impacting the performance when using ALT + Tab, Task View or snap assist in recent builds.
  • Snap group titles should appear properly when using Windows with an Arabic or Hebrew display language now.
  • Made some refinements to the snap layouts invocation experience when moving a window to the top of the screen.
  • Fixed an issue where dragging a snapped window while snap assist is active would include a thumbnail of the dragged window.
  • When using the down arrow to navigate through app thumbnails in snap assist, it should cycle to the top now when you’ve reached the bottom row.
  • Fixed two crashes that could happen when using snap layouts on a secondary monitor or a portrait mode monitor.
  • Made the margins for snapping to the left and right side of the screen a little bigger.
  • Switching desktops using the keyboard shortcuts while the Start menu is open should no longer cause your desktop to unexpectedly switch back after closing Start.

Network

• Added some text to show Disconnecting to communicate if work is in progress after you’ve clicked the Disconnect button in the VPN section of Quick Settings.
  • Fixed an issue where Managed VPN profiles with IPv4 routes specified might disconnect frequently.

Narrator

• Narrator will no longer jump up to the search box in Start after using the power or account menus.
  • After switching to the All apps section of the Start menu, Narrator will now navigate to and read you app information correctly.
  • Narrator in Word online will now read the new line correctly when arrowing up and down between paragraphs.
  • Fixed an issue that was causing Narrator to stop reading or being able to move the cursor when entering tables in Microsoft Word.
  • Improved how Narrator reads content in the Accessibility flyout on the login screen.

Other

• Fixed an issue that was causing the back button in the sign in window of certain apps to not to be visible when using a contrast theme.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2022/02/24/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22563/

Build 22567

Windows Update

Windows Update can adapt to your energy grid to reduce carbon footprint.

Basically, it will attempt to schedule update installations at specific times of day when doing so results in lower carbon emissions.

Of course, this doesn't apply if you manually check for updates.

To do this, Microsoft will use the data it partnered up with: electricityMap and WattTime.

406116568_Screenshot2022-03-03122642.thumb.png.7e2a6e311f7a39d9404c0f481b5380ec.png

In my case, 100% renewable (Hydro), so I guess it will do update whenever it feels like, as before.

When enabled, you'll see this text show under Windows Update:

wu-carbon.png

Settings

Accounts section under Settings panel, now give you a bit more information about your subscriptions.

Freemium-in-Account-L1.png

You now see which plan you are on, and how much OneDrive space you are consuming and how much you have.

Bluetooth

Remember the Bluetooth panel? Well it now available to all. Same for Task Manager.

OOBE

A new page/screen (whatever you want to call it) has been added to teh experience to setup Your Phone when you first start Windows 11 for the first time.

oobe-phone-linking.png

This change will be available in the coming up ISO of this new build.

Security

Smart App Control (SAC) is a new security feature part of Windows Security/Defender where when enabled it can block untrusted or potentially dangerous applications.

Microsoft notes that this feature can only be enabled on Windows devices that have performed a clean install with the latest Insider Preview build.

Microsoft says:

SAC is first configured in evaluation mode. While SAC is in evaluation mode, it will learn if it can help protect you without getting in your way too much. If so, it will automatically be turned on. Otherwise, it will automatically be turned off.  While in evaluation mode, a user can manually turn on SAC in the Windows Security app under the App & Browser Control section. More details on this feature will be shared in the future.

Open With

Open With dialog box got a much needed rework!

open-with-before-after.png

Beside the new Windows 11 look:

• The checkbox "Always use this app to open...", which was often missed has now been replaced by a button "Always".
  • The "OK" button has been replaced with "Just once".
  • It also provide suggested apps that it knows can handle the file extension you selected, and of course, you have the the full list of apps bellow it.
  • In addition, you can more easily pick a Win32 desktop application with the option "Choose an app on your PC" which, as in the past (Win7 and earlier), pick an executable directly.

I am very happy to see these improvements. The old one was simply aimed to push people to the Store since Windows 8. Now, Microsoft takes a step back and gives you the option we used to have back in Win7 and earlier.

Start menu

When you drag a pinned app icon over another, it will now show a small animation indicating that a folder will be made.

Windowing

For touch screen devices, a new animation and gesture for minimizing and restoring all window has been added. A 3-finger swipe down/up

WIP-3-Finger-DownUp-MinimizeRestore.gif

When you minimize all, the task bar, as you notice, automatically expands allowing you launch (or pick) your next application/folder

Voice Typing

Voice typing has been improved with anew navigational commands.

It can now handle "Enter", "Backspace", "Space", "Tab" actions by saying them when needed based on the program you are using.

Windows Sandbox

It now support mapped folders now support relative paths

Task Manager

The new Task Manager is now available to all.

Fixes

General

• Fixed an issue where users weren’t hearing the startup sound.

Taskbar

• Using the taskbar to bring an already running app to the foreground should work more reliably now.
  • Fixed an issue where if you changed time zone the calendar flyout wouldn’t update to reflect a date change.
  • Using Narrator key plus Enter or Narrator touch gestures should now work to activate items in the taskbar now.
  • Mitigated an issue that was causing windows to be able to draw on top of the taskbar after dismissing one of the taskbar flyouts.

Tablet-optimized taskbar

NOTE: These fixes will only show if tablet-optimized taskbar is enabled on your device, which is beginning to roll out to Windows Insiders and not yet available for everyone.

• The taskbar setting has been changed to “Optimize taskbar for touch interactions when this device is used as a tablet”.
  • We have improved mouse click reliability of system tray icons.

Start menu

• Fixed an issue affecting the reliability of the Start menu opening.
  • Fixed an issue where dragging a pinned app icon between pages of pinned apps wasn’t working.
  • Addressed an alignment issue with the More button.

File Explorer

• Clicking the buttons in the new OneDrive flyout should now bring those objects into foreground focus.
  • Star rating supported files (for example mp4 files) should work again now.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause explorer.exe to crash when opening the context menu sometimes.
  • Improved the performance of displaying the content in the Recycle Bin in cases where there were many files.
  • Addressed an underlying crash that was happening when trying to start a search from File Explorer, impacting the ability to search.
  • Fixed a rare issue for people with small screens where the context menu in File Explorer would animate in downwards, disappear, then immediately reappear animating upwards.

Input

• Improved input switching responsiveness when using WIN + Space.
  • Fixed an issue which was leading to some Insiders seeing black text on a dark background in the input switcher.
  • Addressed an issue where the Japanese IME toolbar could become transparent, and the IME candidate window clipped or not displayed at all.
  • If you’re using the Japanese IME with a vertical candidate list, the text should now appear written in the correct direction.
  • Updated the icon used for hiding key press visuals in the touch keyboard when focus is set to a password field to help make it easier to understand.
  • Fixed an issue where the new “Press Backspace” command when voice typing wasn’t working in Japanese.
  • Mitigated an issue that was causing Narrator focus to get stuck in the wrong place after inserting an emoji and dismissing the emoji panel.

Settings

• Items in the app list under Apps > Installed apps should no longer overlap each other.
  • Fixed an issue where it wasn’t possible to select the restart now button in Settings > Windows Update using touch.

Windowing

• Explorer.exe shouldn’t crash anymore when dragging a window between monitors.
  • If you’re hovering over a Desktop thumbnail in Task View, the tooltip should now actually match the one you’re hovering over.
  • Fixed an issue where snap assist might unexpectedly trigger when you already had a window snapped in that area.
  • Improved reliability of invoking snap layouts at the top of the screen.
  • Task View should now successfully launch if you invoke it while the search flyout from the taskbar is open, rather than invoking and immediately dismissing.

Voice access

• Fixed an issue that was causing Outlook to scroll to the beginning of your emails if you enabled voice access and started talking.
  • Button text in voice access will no longer be cut off when you’ve changed your text size.
  • Fixed an issue that was preventing voice access from launching on ARM64 devices.
  • Voice access will no longer turn on after you log in unless the voice access setting is also turned on.

Live captions

• Live captions will now handle you switching audio devices more smoothly.
  • Changing the size of live captions will no longer cause white flashes in dark mode.
  • You can now search for live captions to find their page in Settings.
  • Accessibility home page in Settings now lists “live captions” under Captions.
  • Settings flyout can now be light-dismissed in the live captions window.

Narrator

• Fixed an issue causing high CPU usage while using Narrator.
  • Narrator will now read out the theme as well as the selection state in Settings > Personalization > Text input > Theme.
  • When a dialog pops up, Narrator will now consistently announce that it’s reading from a dialog when reading its message.
  • When using Microsoft Edge’s History page, Narrator will now announce the name of the page and the focused element correctly.
  • Fixed an underlying issue which was impacting Narrator keyboard navigation in webview2 in certain apps.
  • Updated Braille display input and output table type dropdowns in Settings to have a default value now.
  • Fixed an issue that was causing Narrator to hang when using Norton Power Eraser.
  • If you Review > Check Accessibility in Excel, Narrator will now read the errors, warnings, tips & intelligent services section correctly.

Task Manager

• The suspended and efficiency mode icons should no longer be clipped in Task Manager at high DPIs.
  • Fixed an issue where column preferences weren’t being preserved.
  • The default start page and always on top settings should work now.
  • When there’s nothing to show under the “…” menu, it won’t display now.
  • Mitigated a crash that was happening sometimes when trying to launch Task Manager.
  • Fixed an issue where Efficiency mode icons were missing on some child processes.
  • Fixed an issue where some settings options were not preserved.
  • Fixed an issue where Suspended and Efficiency mode icons were clipped when displayed on monitors with high DPI settings.

Lock screen and logging in

• Fixed an issue causing the accessibility flyout on the Lock screen to flicker.
  • The accessibility flyout on the Lock screen’s location and spacing should now be centered and consistent with the design of other options on this screen.
  • Fixed the border of the accessibility flyout on the Lock screen to show correctly in high contrast mode.
  • Addressed an encoding issue in the message text when using a security key to login.
  • Mitigated an explorer.exe crash some Insiders were seeing when logging into their PC.

Other

• Notification Center will now close when you start a focus session, and the focus timer opens instead of you having to dismiss it.
  • Fixed an issue which was impacting the ability of opening Quick Settings and Notification Center when animations were disabled.
  • Quick Settings and Notification Center should dismiss more reliably now if you had used a gesture to invoke them before trying to dismiss them.
  • Fixed an issue relating to the UiaDisconnectProvider API which was causing certain apps to crash.
  • Mitigated a bug check which was happening in the last few flights for Insiders with more than 8 monitors connected.
  • If you have pinned an app to the taskbar within Windows Sandbox, clicking the app to launch it will now actually work.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2022/03/02/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22567/

New Build! 22572

New App - Bundled with Windows 11: Microsoft Family

The app aims to help parent manage child accounts. Previously you needed to go online for this, now you have an app with a focus on this.

Family-app-final.thumb.png.489280bf5572d2995b90d3d421805224.png

New App - Bundled with Windows 11: Clipchamp

Clipchamp is Microsoft last acquisition. It a movie editor with a timeline.

Clipchamp-editor-med.gif

It can load videos, record webcam, or desktop. It has a suit of templates, transitions, sample images and clips all ready to go. You can insert text, gifs, music. You can trim trim, and more. Of course, it has OneDrive integration. In summary, it is closer to Movie Maker than Final Cut Pro by considerable margins, as you can imagine. From me quickly playing with it, it seem to be much better than the video editor in the Photo app.

This app has a paid service attached. There is a free plan which limits you to 480p video exports though.

The app is cloud based and is really a PWA app. (I must admit, I am pretty impressed tech wise)

The paid service aspect could ensure that this app continue to develop with updates and improvements. I mean, technically speaking, it has an incentive to do so.

Search

Starting next week, and insiders will see an improvement to the search panel of Windows 11.

Search highlight panel.

It drops, "Quick searches" section which I don't think anyone really used, and "top apps" which is really a duplicated of "recommended" and "Most used" sections of the Start menu, in favor of putting what Microsoft calls: "Search highlights" which will present current holidays, and events which of course will open Edge to the respective Bing page.

Search-highlights-Consumer-final-cropped.png

If the system is part of an enterprise, the Search panel will focus on company content instead of Bing, like so:
Search-highlights-Enterprise.png

If you want non of that, it CAN be turned off, Microsoft says. Just go to: Settings > Privacy & security > Search settings, and turn off “Show search highlights

Print Queue app has been updated (Honestly, I saw this app before, and it never worked for me.... maybe now it will work?!)

print-queue.png

You have a better view compared to the old app of what is in the printer queue list. At least that is the idea.

You should see print jobs with a preview of content (at least for images, not sure about documents)

Quick Assist - Icon update

Quick Assist icon finally got updated to the Fluent Design:

quick-assist.png

Same for Windows Sandbox:

sandbox-icon.png

Focus

When focus settings, there is now an icon instead of the moon

dnd-new-icon.png

WMIC is back

Microsoft makes a step back on the removal of WMIC to software and scripts breaking who were using this legacy component, but is now an optional feature that needs to be installed via: Settings > Apps > Optional Features

Other changes:

File Explorer

• Shift + Right-clicking in File Explorer and the Desktop will now open the “Show more options” context menu.

Narrator

• Narrator natural voices are now available for all English languages.

Terminal

• Windows Terminal is now called Terminal under Start.

Settings

• Switched the touch keyboard icon option under Settings > Personalization > Taskbar from being a toggle to now being a dropdown where you can select Never, Always, or When no keyboard attached.

Others

• The legacy version of Windows Media Player available in Windows Tools has been renamed to Windows Media Player Legacy.

Fixes:

General

• Fixed an issue for Enterprise edition devices going through the setup experience (OOBE) where the network add screen was skipped on the first attempt.
  • Addressed an issue which was causing some Insiders to see a bugcheck with a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error in the previous build while attempting to do various things including logging in, opening Outlook, and accessing network shares in File Explorer.
  • Mitigated an underlying issue that was leading to audio stutters and touchpad issues in the previous flight.
  • Addressed an explorer.exe crash Insiders were seeing in recent builds when attempting to use Windows Mixed Reality.
  • Fixed an issue with scroll bars not rendering appropriately on some Win32 applications.
  • Fixed another issue where users weren’t hearing the startup sound.
  • Images should no longer be backwards when using a lock screen slideshow with an Arabic or Hebrew display language.

Taskbar

• We fixed the issue that was causing explorer.exe to crash if you right clicked on the Start button or used WIN + X.
  • Mitigated an explorer.exe hang that could happen in the last few flights related to the visual indicator in the taskbar when sharing a window in Microsoft Teams.
  • Adjusted the sensitivity so quickly sliding your mouse across the widgets icon on the path to an open flyout or menu will no longer make it dismiss.
  • Made a change to help address a memory leak in Shell Experience Host when repeatedly opening and closing the Notification Center.
  • Addressed a scenario where the Notification Center might not light dismiss if it was opened on top of certain apps.
  • Fixed an underlying issue when the display scaling was greater than 100% which was causing drag and drop in the taskbar to unexpectedly show that it wasn’t available.

Tablet-optimized taskbar

NOTE: These fixes will only show if tablet-optimized taskbar is enabled on your device, which is beginning to roll out to Windows Insiders and not yet available for everyone.

• Touch gestures are restored on all device types, as we resolved the issue that broke several of the new touch gestures announced as part of Build 22557 on non-tablet devices.
  • Improved reliability of taskbar auto-collapsing after launching an app.
  • Fixed several bugs related to the taskbar state change when disconnecting or reconnecting your keyboard.
  • Addressed positioning issues with the hidden icons button and flyout when using the Arabic or Hebrew display language.

Start menu

• Improved how the “Pinned” header name is rendered in the Arabic display language.

File Explorer

• Made some more improvements to help with context menu invocation performance.
  • Using the Filter option in Quick Access should work for images now.
  • Fixed an underlying issue causing the title bar in File Explorer when colored to not visually occupy the full area it was supposed if you maximized the File Explorer window.
  • Fixed an issue where if you had a folder selected in the navigation pane and right clicked another folder, options like Open in Windows Terminal would unexpectedly open the first folder.
  • “Pin to Quick Access” is now available in the command bar when a file in Recent Files in Quick Access is selected.

Input

• Mitigated an issue where clicking hyperlinks in RichTextBlocks wasn’t working when performed with touch or pen.
  • Addressed an issue where custom mouse pointers might revert to the default Windows one after rebooting.
  • Fixed an issue where voice typing might display “there is a connection issue” when that wasn’t the cause of the error.
  • Addressed an issue where voice typing might not launch after unlocking your PC.
  • Fixed a touch keyboard crash that could happen on the login screen when there were multiple accounts on the PC.
  • Mitigated an issue impacting pen sensitivity in recent flights.
  • Fixed a rendering issue causing the screen to have small freezes in recent flights when trying to ink in certain apps.
  • Made some refinements to help improve detection of the pinch to zoom gesture on touchpads.
  • Addressed an issue leading to IME toolbar options being unresponsive in some cases for the Chinese (Simplified) IMEs.

Search

• Did some work to address a high hitting search crash.

Settings

• Fixed an issue causing a hang when trying to access Personalization > Taskbar > Taskbar behaviors.
  • Addressed an issue where font previews under Personalization > Fonts might not be visible when a contrast mode was enabled.
  • Improved performance when switching between the different available views on Apps > Installed apps.
  • Uninstalling an update via Windows Update > Update History > Uninstall Updates should show a confirmation now before it proceeds.

Windowing

• An acrylic area should no longer get stuck on the screen if you press WIN + D while interacting with snap layouts at the top of the screen.
  • Fixed an issue where if you used snap assist to snap a window that had been minimized, it might not fill the entire available space.
  • Fixed a few animation stutters when using 3-finger on screen gestures.
  • Addressed an explorer.exe crash that could happen if you attempted to use 3-finger on screen gestures while no windows were visible on screen.
  • Addressed an underlying issue which could impact the animations and performance when invoking Task View.\
  • Mitigated an underlying issue which was causing you to unexpectedly see an X when attempting to rearrange Desktops in Task View in certain scenarios.
  • Tweaked the logic to help further reduce the number of sounds heard when connecting and disconnecting monitors and docks.
  • Mitigated a recent issue where windows for minimized apps weren’t launching on the expected monitor upon undocking and redocking.
  • The title bar should no longer peek out onto secondary monitors when maximizing certain apps.
  • Fixed an issue which was causing certain windows to show an unexpected white rectangle poking out from underneath, spanning the top of the window.
  • Updated the new full screen gripper for edge gestures to use acrylic.

Narrator

• Fixed an issue preventing Narrator from reading in the Run dialog correctly in scan mode.
  • Narrator in scan mode will now read error messages in the Error List correctly in Visual Studio.
  • Errors while setting up a PIN in device setup (OOBE) will now be read out by Narrator.
  • Pitch range for Narrator natural voices has been adjusted to provide more levels of control.
  • Addressed an underlying issue which was leading to the pitch not changing when adjust Narrator’s speed in the 0 to 5 and 15 to 20 ranges in Narrator settings.

Task Manager

• Improved visibility of content when a contrast mode is enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where critical system processes were unexpectedly displaying as background processes.
  • Addressed an issue that was causing random rows in the processes list to be unexpectedly written in black text when using dark mode.
  • Right clicking the Task Manager icon in the system tray should now actually show the context menu rather than a blank box.
  • Pressing Esc should no longer unexpectedly close Task Manager.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2022/03/09/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22572/

WSA got updated:

• H.264 Video Hardware Decoding support
  • Networking back-end system was improved to allow future enhancements
  • Android apps can now open PC mail apps, same for the Android Share panel
  • 4X MSAA can now be turned off
  • Improved Scrolling and input navigations

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2022/03/08/update-to-windows-subsystem-for-android-on-windows-11-for-windows-insiders/

It seems like Microsoft has kicked development of Windows 11 into high gear. I really like some of the things they are showing in the dev channel. At this rate I might install Windows 11 later this year. I still think they rushed it and it is at most half-baked in its current state though.

On 3/10/2022 at 12:35 PM, LAwLz said:

It seems like Microsoft has kicked development of Windows 11 into high gear. I really like some of the things they are showing in the dev channel. At this rate I might install Windows 11 later this year. I still think they rushed it and it is at most half-baked in its current state though.

Well, guess I'll have to take this back.

I was starting to like Windows 11 and then Microsoft shoves a bunch of terrible things into it, like ads in Explorer.

windows-11-ad-file-explorer.thumb.webp.68d8550e18a150ac2d6943a1650a0444.webp

They are also going to add a bunch of crap to the search in Windows 11. No Microsoft, I do not want to see some random quirky picture, or some "trendy Bing search" when I open the start function on my PC. How about you make local search usable before you add shitty Bing online search.

Spoiler

windows-11-search-highlights.thumb.webp.3afcc3e5fe17101c716dce4d87c5287b.webp

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Well, guess I'll have to take this back.

I was starting to like Windows 11 and then Microsoft shoves a bunch of terrible things into it, like ads in Explorer.

windows-11-ad-file-explorer.thumb.webp.68d8550e18a150ac2d6943a1650a0444.webp

That's the crap that Windows 10 has. Glad it's still there. I mean, it wouldn't be Windows without it.

Anyways, to turn it off:

248744912_Screenshot2022-03-14173955.png.e339b657134f4acaf60132af67b4fa43.png

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

They are also going to add a bunch of crap to the search in Windows 11. No Microsoft, I do not want to see some random quirky picture, or some "trendy Bing search" when I open the start function on my PC. How about you make local search usable before you add shitty Bing online search.

Yea, I posted this.

It's optional, turn on by default of course. More useful for business environment. See pictured on the last release, 5th-6th from this one

So Windows support "Desktop" where you can have different desktops for different requirement, but can we have different "Desktop" set on different monitors? 
Basically if I set up 3 programs on one desktop via windows snap and another program on second monitor, the minimize all tab only minimizes program on the current monitor. Is that possible somehow?  

1 hour ago, LtMadInsane said:

So Windows support "Desktop" where you can have different desktops for different requirement, but can we have different "Desktop" set on different monitors? 
Basically if I set up 3 programs on one desktop via windows snap and another program on second monitor, the minimize all tab only minimizes program on the current monitor. Is that possible somehow?  

I don't think it is possible. I don't have a dual screen setup to test.

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like Microsoft has updated the plans of ClipChamp, it's newly acquired PWA video player editor, that will be built-in into Windows 11 in the future.

1673715412_Screenshot2022-03-29153306.thumb.png.e9870cd627a408dadd9ece81cd3b0d26.png

It no longer has the 480p and 720p plan limitations for exports on the Basic and Creator plans. Now all plans, even the free one, offers 1080p export support.

This makes the plans offered make a lot more sense then before. The lowest brand with 1080p support was the Business plan. At twice the price of Creator, it offered nothing more (beside 1080p), "Brand kit" feature. This feature is just a way to setup a company template design that can be applies to all videos made in the app. Great for businesses who likes to make videos internally with ease, but useless for consumers.

As you can see, there is no 4K option, but I suspect the target audience of this app won't care too much about it. Those that do, most likely would get an alternative, professional, program, like Adobe Premier.

So now, the plans makes sense. With 1080p video export on the Free plan, it open doors for new creators on YouTube or just at a personal level (think for those who likes to do family video's type of content) to actually have an incentive to give the app a spin, and see if it is like the the balance of ease of use and flexibility it provides to them in getting started in video creation.

If they like it, they might be interested in jumping in to with the unlimited storage feature offered by the basic paid plan called: Creator, and also get easy access to unlimited stock audio (assuming they are good), So, to me, it now makes sense. I can see the though process. 

I just hope that the app, while looks fine glancing at it, I hope they continue to improve it to justify the subscription fees. I hate to see a Movie Maker type of situation, where the app never really progresses forward once it was made. Another example, the Photo app video making feature, which started basic with some cool little gimmicks for casuals or new user into making videos, but sadly went nowhere after been released.

• 2 weeks later...

New Build 22593

Tabs are official (but we don't have it)

That is right, Microsoft is going to add tabs to File Explorer, and even presented at its "Hybrid work" keynote event, yesterday.

Sadly, it is not ready for us yet. When I tried it by forcing enabling it in teh past builds, I had to turn off, as it was indeed buggy and missing basic features... like... dragging a file explorer properly.

But here is what we have:

• Quick Access on the side navigation has been renamed to Home.
    In addition, it introduces a new section called Favorite. That is a way for YOU to pin files there (I upgraded and I don't have the option... but I recall they showed this at the keynote.. so maybe you'll have it)file-explorer-home.png

Microsoft says:

The default homepage of File Explorer is now called Home. The name Quick access has been repurposed for the pinned/frequent folders section and Pinned files is now called Favorites to align with Office and OneDrive.

• In addition, these items are also searchable in the search box, even though the location is not there.

• Microsoft Journal is no longer a garage app, and has been upgraded to an official app. This also means that it will show up in the pen menu.
    If you click on it, and you don't have it installed, it will install it. Microsoft didn't say if it will be an in-box app.
    journal-pen-menu.png

• Another way to snap windows:
    Win+Z and pick a layout number, and pick which side you want the window to be place.
    So for example, if you have say, your web browser, and you want it to take the left side of your screen, you can do: Win+Z, then hit 1 and 1 again.
    For right side: Win+Z, then hit 1 and 2.
    An on screen indicator will guide you through:
    1251164591_Screenshot2022-04-06170538.png.69a70151e05bccd4750394af35e8c494.png

Fixes:

General

• Fixed a few more issues impacting explorer.exe reliability in recent flights.

Taskbar

• Fixed an issue where app icons were unexpectedly animating in from the upper left when launching a new app.
  • Improved the performance of rearranging taskbar icons.
  • Addressed an issue in the previous flight leading to duplicate app icons after closing and re-opening an app.
  • If you have a lot of apps open, the icons shouldn’t overlap the date and time on your secondary monitors anymore.
  • Taskbar will no longer disappear when you enter search over a full screen window.
  • Fixed an issue that was causing icon spacing to invert so that it was large when it should be small and vice versa when switching in and out of the tablet-optimized taskbar.
  • Tablet-optimized taskbar will now stay visible over full screen apps when expanded and only hide when you collapse it.
  • If you have multiple keyboards for your current language, the input indicator will now only show one row of text when the tablet-optimized taskbar is in a collapsed state, so that it doesn’t get clipped.
  • Fixed a crash that was causing taskbar to get stuck in the tablet-optimized taskbar view.
  • Settings will now remember your taskbar’s auto-hide setting more consistently.
  • Mitigated an issue where some app icons in the system tray which were expected to flash weren’t doing that.
  • Fixed an issue causing system tray icons to get stuck there even after you closed the application.
  • Made a fix for an issue where some mouse move events weren’t being passed to apps for icons in the system tray.
  • Addressed an issue leading to a decrease in Notification Center launch reliability in recent flights.
  • Mitigated an issue causing the Notification Center and its context to sometimes show the wrong color text for the system’s theme, making it unreadable.
  • Updated the names of some of the months in the Simplified and Traditional Chinese lunar calendar to be more accurate.

Start menu

• Updated the design of the folders in Start so that they’re a little bigger, making it easier to see the app icons highlighted within the folder without having to open it.
  • Fixed an issue where if you created a folder in Start in the same position as a deleted folder, it would show the old name.
  • If you tab into naming a folder in Start with your keyboard, you can now tab back out instead of having to hit Esc.
  • Fixed an issue where when using the keyboard to select options following WIN + X didn’t work. And dismissing WIN + X should be more consistent now.
  • Fixed an issue where the prompt wasn’t coming to the front when launching Windows Terminal as an admin from Start’s right-click context menu (WIN + X).
  • The search icon in the taskbar should no longer unexpectedly flash when closing the Start menu.

Search

• Made some improvements to help with search indexer thread and memory usage for users with a very high number of indexed items.
  • Fixed an issue impacting search reliability (where you would type into the search window or Start and nothing would happen) in recent flights.
  • Made another fix to help address an issue where the search searches flyout could get stuck on the screen in a transparent area.

File Explorer

• Improved performance of loading Home in File Explorer.
  • Fixed a scaling issue where the context menu could be an unexpected size when invoking it on systems with mixed DPI monitors.
  • Addressed an issue where the Show More Options entry in the context menu wasn’t working for items in File Explorer’s navigation pane (for example, if you were to right click on This PC).
  • Did some work to help reduce the chance you will see “Loading” for app entries in the context menu.
  • Fixed an issue which was causing the “Open in Windows Terminal” context menu option to be unexpectedly missing for secondary users in some cases.
  • Opening suggested results shown while entering search terms in File Explorer’s search box should now work as expected.
  • Mitigated an underlying issue leading to the address bar being inaccessible in certain cases.
  • Mitigated an issue leading to increased launch time for certain file types in the previous flight.

Widgets

• We fixed the issue where sometimes when pinning from the Feed, the pinned widget is placed at the top instead of below other pinned widgets.
  • We fixed the issue where after rearranging widgets in the widgets board, some users experience problems with widgets in the pinned section rendering incorrectly.

Input

• Fixed an issue preventing several input UI surfaces from displaying following explorer.exe crashes in recent flights – this included the emoji panel, candidate windows, clipboard history, and the touch keyboard.
  • Mitigated an issue where Narrator was silent when launching the emoji panel in certain cases, for example if the search box wasn’t displayed.
  • Fixed an issue that was causing custom theme changes in Settings > Personalization > Text input to not save properly sometimes.
  • Addressed a few more color issues with the touch keyboard, including where after changing from dark to light mode, the touch keyboard might end up with a mix of dark and light.
  • Updated the touch keyboard button so that pressing it always shows the touch keyboard, rather than hiding it if it’s visible.
  • Returned the Backspace key to the touch keyboard’s small layout when using Chinese (Traditional).
  • Improved reliability of launching the touch keyboard on the login screen.
  • You should be able to use the Japanese IME’s context menu on the login screen to change conversion mode now.
  • Fixed an issue where the Chinese (Traditional) IMEs were only showing 5 suggested associated phrases when they should have been showing 9.
  • Fixed an issue where if you’d set a custom background image under Settings > Personalization > Text Input, the preview wouldn’t show how it looked in the candidate window for Chinese (Simplified).
  • Addressed a rendering issue with the corners of the IME toolbar.
  • Fixed an issue where the IME toolbar wasn’t hiding and showing correctly when using the previous version of the Japanese IME.
  • Improved voice typing reliability.
  • Updated voice typing error message “Voice typing is limited on this app” to be “Some voice typing features might not work in this app”, so it’s a little clearer that basic voice typing will still work.
  • Fixed an issue causing some voice typing commands not to work, for example “scratch that” (刮除它) in Chinese (Simplified).
  • Addressed an issue where the setting “Disable Touch while using Pen” under Settings > Bluetooth & Devices > Pen & Windows Ink would arbitrarily not take effect sometimes on first boot in recent flights.
  • Fixed an issue causing the Get-InstalledLanguage and Install-Language PowerShell commands to unexpectedly fail with error 0x8007023E for some languages.

Settings

• If keyboard focus is on the chevron for a collapsible region on a Settings page, for example, the Snap windows section under System > Multitasking, you can now use the left and right arrows to expand and collapse the area.
  • Fixed an issue impacting reliability of System > Power & Battery.
  • When using the custom color picker on Personalization > Colors now, it should appear centered in the window frame and not randomly off to the side.
  • Setting your background image fit to “fit” under Personalization > Background should no longer cause the background image preview to become a solid color.
  • Addressed another issue that could cause Windows Spotlight to unexpectedly stop updating for a prolonged period of time.
  • Fixed an issue that was causing the Settings app to crash when going to focus settings.
  • Fixed an issue that was letting keyboard focus go to elements in the contrast theme previews in Accessibility > Contrast Themes that you couldn’t interact with.
  • Fixed an issue where leaving the contrast themes editor in Settings by selecting the breadcrumbs would clear the dropdown selection, but the buttons were still acting as if you had a theme selected.
  • Updated the text description for voice typing under Accessibility > Speech to make more sense when using the Japanese display language.
  • Addressed an issue that was preventing Quick Settings from launching with its new touch gesture.
  • Quick Settings will now show the correct icon to represent your audio output device again.

Windowing

• Mitigated an issue which could lead to explorer.exe crashes when using ALT + Tab.
  • Fixed an issue where the keyboard focus outline in ALT + Tab sometimes was smaller than the displayed thumbnail.
  • Addressed an underlying DWM issue which was leading to crashes when using touch gestures from the sides of the screen.
  • Fixed a DWM crash when rotating the screen.
  • Mitigated an issue leading to some lag when resizing two apps snapped side by side in certain cases.
  • Fixed an issue where snap assist could unexpectedly dismiss if the initial window wouldn’t fit into the selected zone size. Now we resize the snap assist regions accordingly when minimum window size of the initial snapped window is larger than the selected zone.
  • If you invoke Task View with touch, the close buttons should no longer overlap with the window titles.
  • Hovering your mouse over the tooltip with the Desktop’s name will no longer unexpectedly make the Desktops flyout dismiss.
  • Using drag and drop to reorder your Desktops via the Desktop flyout should no longer leave a thumbnail of the Desktop you moved stuck on the screen.

Voice access

• Fixed a crash that was impacting voice access reliability.
  • Addressed an issue that was preventing voice access’s speech models from downloading correctly.

Live captions

• Addressed an underlying issue leading to live captions showing a download error, even though the download had actually completed successfully.
  • Live captions will now remember your chosen settings for position across sessions.
  • Mitigated an issue where the live captions position changed to floating when entering full screen, but the settings incorrectly showed the last position still.
  • Removed the live captions notification about audio playing from multiple apps as it was popping up repeatedly during usage.
  • The border of the live captions window will now match the style of all other borders in contrast themes.

Narrator

• We fixed the issue that was causing natural voices to break up sporadically in recent builds.
  • Narrator will now read out the word minutes with the duration times listed in Settings for focus options.
  • Fixed an issue that was causing Narrator to read dialog buttons incorrectly in scan mode.

Task Manager

• Removed backplate (colored square) from UWP app icons were displayed in Task Manager.
  • Mitigated an issue where the one side of the View button did not appear to do anything.
  • Fixed an issue which was causing the real time update speed to get set to Paused on its own. Please note, if you were impacted by this, you will need to make a one-time change to set the setting back to your preferred update speed after upgrading to this build.

Other

• Mitigated an issue which was leading to a black (albeit interactable) screen when playing certain full screen games with Auto HDR enabled.
  • Fixed a memory leak in Connected Devices Platform User Service.
  • The volume and brightness flyouts you get when using your hardware keys will no longer show a focus window outline on top of them.
  • If WIN + Alt + K is pressed when a supported app isn’t running, the pop-up text displayed will now say “No supported apps in use for mic mute”, instead of “Mic mute unavailable”, so it’s clearer.
  • Addressed an issue which was leading to unexpected errors being displayed in Event Viewer when conhost.exe was activated.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2022/04/06/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22593/

• 2 weeks later...

Any info why Windows 11, version 22H2 Insider Preview 10.0.22598.100 (ni_release) gives error during installation?
TPM on, Secure Boot on... I don't really know what I am looking for, because the installer doesn't give any error code.

2 hours ago, b0urne_ said:

Any info why Windows 11, version 22H2 Insider Preview 10.0.22598.100 (ni_release) gives error during installation?
TPM on, Secure Boot on... I don't really know what I am looking for, because the installer doesn't give any error code.

You need to look at the Event Viewer to know what went wrong.

You should see a or some errors under: Windows Logs > System.

My guess, is driver related issue (as it is typically the case). Ensure that all your drivers (audio, chipset, printer, etc.. are all fully updated)

• 2 weeks later...

New Build: 22610

What's new:

• Windows 11 Home will no longer enable SMB1 by default. If you have it enabled right now, it will remain so. (If I am not mistaken, this was the last remaining edition of Windows with it that was enabled).

• Battery icon on the Lock Screen has been updated to Windows 11 style
    It will also show the estimated battery life timing in the tooltip (assuming your laptop provides that info... right HP?)

• Removal of the 'tablet-optimized taskbar' feature on tablets after receiving feedback. Microsoft reminds that Insider features under Beta and Dev channel might not always ship. That said, Microsoft said that they will continue to work on it, and may reintroduce it.

• "Family Safety" widget is here, where you can lively monitor your child computer usage:
    family-safety-apps.png

• New GPO's:
    • Disable Quick Settings flyout
    • Disable Notification Center and calendar flyouts
    • Disable all taskbar settings
    • Disable search (across Start & taskbar)
    • Hide Task View from taskbar
    • Block customization of ‘Pinned’ in Start
    • Hide ‘Recommended’ in Start
    • Disable Start context menus
    • Hide ‘All apps’ in Start

• Updated Task Manager will now use accent color for the heat map view:
    task-man-colors.png

• Context menu on files/folders has been updated with improved icongraphy for the Properties and Rename item, to improve recognition:
    context-menu-icons.png

• Return: After feedback, Microsoft is allowing TKIP and WEP connections again under Windows 11. A warning message will remain like now, when connecting to such network.

This build also contains a mass number of bug fixes:

General

• We fixed the issue causing Windows Insiders running Windows 10 who were trying to join the Dev or Beta Channels to encounter a download error code 0xc8000402 while trying to download the latest build. If you experienced this issue, please install KB5011831 and then try to download the latest build from either the Dev or Beta Channels. If you continue to see this issue – please file feedback in Feedback Hub.
  • We’ve fixed an issue causing explorer.exe to crash repeatedly in a loop in the latest builds (and unable to successfully load) for a small percent of Insiders.
  • Made a change to help address an issue causing some Insiders to experience a bugcheck with the error BAD_POOL_CALLER when opening Notification Center and some other actions after the last build.
  • When opening Group Policy editor, an Administrative Template error will no longer pop up.
  • Fixed an issue where Group Policy Editor was unexpectedly showing an error saying “mmc cannot initialize the snap-in” on ARM64 in some cases.

Taskbar

• Fixed an issue that was preventing Shift + Right-click on a taskbar icon from opening the expected context menu.
  • Changing the resolution of a secondary display should no longer result in the taskbar app icons unexpectedly shifting to the right.
  • Clicking the taskbar should close things like Quick Settings and Notification Center now if they’re open.
  • Windows and taskbar icons that were being used on a secondary monitor will now transfer correctly to your primary monitor if you unplug the secondary one.
  • Fixed an issue that was preventing taskbar icon animations on system icons like Start, Search, and Task view.
  • Animations will now play correctly the first time you drag and drop to taskbar.
  • If you drag to the taskbar in a right-to-left (RTL) language, the icon will now appear on the correct side.
  • When you’re connected to Wi-Fi, the network icon in the taskbar will no longer incorrectly show as disconnected.
  • Fixed a crash that was happening if the taskbar clock updated while transitioning to daylight savings time changes.
  • The show hidden icons flyout will now dismiss when you click away from it again.
  • There will no longer be an empty show hidden icons arrow showing in your system tray when you’ve set all your icons there to show.
  • Fixed an issue causing Notification Center to be cut off when opened on small screens, hiding the do not disturb button.
  • Fixed an issue for Arabic and Hebrew display languages, where the Notification Center would jump up unexpectedly when dismissed.
  • If your microphone is in use but not your location, hovering over the microphone button in the taskbar should no longer show a location section with an empty app name in the tooltip.

Start menu

• App icons like Microsoft Edge will no longer be cut off on the bottom in Start’s all apps list.
  • If you cancel while dragging icons to create a folder in Start, they will no longer be stuck in a broken folder with just one icon.
  • The Windows Tools entry under All apps should be visible again now.
  • Animations of folders in the Start menu will no longer start on the first pinned app instead of where the folder is located.

Search

• We did some work to help address an issue where sometimes you couldn’t search for an app you’d just installed, although it was showing in Start.

File Explorer

• Using the rename, copy, paste, delete, and other options context menu options in File Explorer or on the desktop should no longer cause explorer.exe to crash when the context menu dismisses.
  • Right-clicking on a file now reflects the updated naming in File Explorer and shows “Add to Favorites”.
  • Right-clicking on This PC in the Open or Save As dialog’s navigation pane should bring up the context menu again now.
  • Addressed an issue believed to be the underlying cause for File Explorer freezing when selecting a large number of files in recent builds.
  • We made some improvements to the performance of keyboard selection of images and zipped files in OneDrive folders.
  • Fixed an issue which was causing File Explorer to freeze frequently when WSL was installed, and WSL files were opened via Home.
  • To help with performance, when opening Home only images and videos will now show thumbnails.
  • Updated the tooltip for the “Please sign in” button in File Explorer from “Sign in again to fix authentication issues.” to “One of your accounts needs attention to show files from Office.com in Home”, so that its purpose is clearer.
  • We addressed an issue where the Sign In button in File Explorer might not work.
  • Fixed an explorer.exe crash related to loading recently used Office files in Home.
  • Addressed an issue where the Open option was unexpectedly showing a generic icon when right clicking on certain file types.
  • Fixed an underlying issue believed to be the cause of some Insiders not seeing the This PC option in the “Open File Explorer to” dropdown in folder options.

Input

• Fixed a couple issues where under certain conditions the emoji panel, clipboard history, and voice typing would stop working after unlocking your PC or right after a Windows update.
  • Fixed an issue where the text suggestions for physical keyboards might sometimes display with a transparent background.
  • To ensure that text input is always available, if you use touch and tap a text field in OOBE, on the login screen, or in the UAC dialog, the touch keyboard will now always appear even if a physical keyboard is connected.
  • When you lock your PC, if you have turned off “Play sounds as I type” under Settings > Time & Language > Typing > Touch keyboard, you should no longer hear key press sounds when using the touch keyboard on the login screen.
  • Added typographic quotes as an option after a press and hold on the quote key when using the German touch keyboard layout.
  • We did some work to address an issue where if you were using the docked touch keyboard on a tablet and tapped the text field of an app that didn’t have focus, the touch keyboard might appear and immediately disappear.
  • Improved the performance going into the listening state after launching voice typing (WIN + H).
  • Fixed a crash when deleting letters using a strikethrough gesture in the handwriting panel.
  • Addressed an issue where if you had unchecked “leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected” under Settings > Bluetooth & Devices > Touchpad, the touchpad wasn’t re-enabled after connecting and disconnecting a mouse.
  • Fixed an issue that could lead to the trail when sliding your finger around the screen being unexpectedly red or invisible in some cases.
  • If you don’t have the Chinese (Simplified) IME installed, it should no longer display as an option to customize under Settings > Personalization > Text Input > Custom Theme.
  • If an Xbox controller is connected, using it to interact with games should no longer result in an unexpected pop-up saying, “No supported apps in use for mic mute.”

Widgets

• Improved reliability of opening the widgets board on first login after an upgrade or after an app update.
  • We did some work to help address an issue where the widgets board wouldn’t light dismiss and you had to use the Esc key to close it.
  • As some Insiders have noticed, to help make the state clearer, if the weather status on the taskbar isn’t available, we will now show a greyed-out weather icon.
  • Addressed an underlying issue leading to Widgets being missing from the taskbar and Settings after upgrading. This fix should stop future PCs from being impacted – if you are currently impacted, please try reinstalling this, which may resolve it for you.

Settings

• Fixed the Windows Update text for English (United Kingdom) so that it will say “last checked” and not “last ticked.”
  • Addressed an underlying issue leading to not being able to activate the “Restart now” button in Windows Update when it had focus using Narrator in scan mode.
  • Fixed an issue where if you opened the Bluetooth section of Quick Settings and went back, it could result in the scrollbar style changing in Quick Settings under certain conditions.
  • Apps should no longer show up with the incorrect icon under Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Other system tray icons.
  • Fixed an issue that was causing the search icon in Settings > Personalization > Taskbar to be backwards and the wrong color in the Desert contrast theme.
  • Fixed an issue preventing Quick Settings from taking touch input.
  • Addressed an additional issue causing the media controls above Quick Settings to stay there after the media source was closed.
  • Fixed a high hitting crash in recent flights when navigating to the page to pick a sound output option in Quick Settings.

Windowing

• Did some work to help address an issue related snap layouts at the top of the screen where a large invisible area could get stuck and would consume clicks in that area.
  • When you drag down on the title bar of a maximized window, it should be easier to invoke snap layouts from the top of the screen now.
  • If you have a window within a snap group that is set to display across all your Desktops, that setting should now persist if you drag and drop the snap group into a different Desktop in Task View.
  • Fixed a couple issues leading to explorer.exe crashes when using and interacting with snap.
  • Fixed a couple high hitting DWM crashes in recent flights.
  • Addressed an issue where focus wasn’t being properly set when using the 3-finger touchpad gesture to bring up ALT + Tab.
  • Fixed an issue where snap assist was unexpectedly appearing when you had only a single Microsoft Edge window open and tried to snap it.
  • Reduced the likelihood of seeing an acrylic backdrop noticeably lagging when dragging a window around.
  • Improved the reliability of using gestures from the edge of the screen (for example to open Start menu) when using an app full screen.
  • Addressed an issue which could cause the screen to appear frozen after using a 3 finger on screen gesture to minimize open apps on top of certain full screen apps.

Narrator

• Fixed an issue when using Narrator and your keyboard to navigate the show hidden icons panel where focus was jumping out to taskbar at the end of the icons instead of looping back to the beginning.
  • Narrator will now start reading from the beginning of the page on Edge even if a control on the page has focus by default, like Bing’s search box.

Task Manager

• Fixed an underlying issue leading to some apps not showing as suspended in Task Manager even though they should have been.
  • Fixed an issue where expanding the child of a child process would result in the content of the Name column in Processes being significantly offset.
  • Clicking “Show history of all processes” in settings should no longer hang or crash Task Manager.
  • The Run New Task button should work on the Details and Services pages now.
  • To address issues with text and UI clipping, Task Manager will no longer show accent color on the title bar.

Networking

• The issue causing internet connectivity issues for some Insiders recently when certain VPNs were connected should be addressed now.

Lock screen and logging in

• The login screen shouldn’t crash anymore if you click the Power button while a contrast theme is enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where the network icon on the login screen could become clipped if you used the text scaling option in Settings > Accessibility.
  • Did some work to address a high hitting login screen crash.

Other

• Addressed a few issues that were preventing the accessibility flyout from showing or from selecting items in it with your mouse in the device setup experience (OOBE) for Windows 11.
  • The accessibility flyout will no longer be empty in RTL languages in the device setup experience (OOBE).
  • Fixed an issue that was causing notification popups to get stuck as a transparent box on the side of your screen that blocked input.
  • Addressed an underlying issue believed to be the root cause of the system thinking you were on battery when UPS was connected recently.
  • The keyboard shortcut to launch Quick Assist (WIN + CTRL + Q) should be working again now.
  • Addressed an issue where some signed apps were unexpectedly blocked by Smart App Control.
  • If you use your keyboard to control your brightness or volume level, the flyout that appears with now respect if you’ve turned animation effects off in Settings > Accessibility > Visual Effects.
  • Addressed an underlying issue that could result in a yellow border getting stuck around your game after taking a screenshot with the Xbox Game Bar.
  • Fixed an underlying app registration issue leading to the Windows Security app not launching or showing a prompt saying there was no installed app for that protocol after upgrade.
  • Made a change that should help address an issue where Insiders were seeing Windows Terminal failing to update in the Microsoft Store with error code 0x80073CFB.
  • Fixed an issue which was causing certain apps relying on the .NET Framework to fail to launch in the last few flights.
  • Did some work to address a leak in uxtheme.dll, leading to some performance degradation over time in certain apps.
  • Addressed an issue causing defrag.exe to show an error saying “No such interface supported (0x80004002) recently.
  • Fixed a bugcheck with error DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION in recent builds that Insiders might have encountered when disconnecting Bluetooth devices or other Bluetooth scenarios.
  • Improved the reliability of connecting Bluetooth devices like Apple AirPods.
  • Fixed an issue leading to audio not playing immediately after resuming from hibernation when certain Bluetooth headsets were connected.
  • Addressed an issue which could lead to a bugcheck with error PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA when connecting certain USB audio devices in recent builds.
  • Fixed a crash in the previous flight related to cdp.dll.
  • Fixed an underlying issue which was causing the Wireless Display app to not be able to receive content in the last couple flights.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2022/04/29/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22610/

New build - 22581

Microsoft is preparing for finalization for the next version of Windows 11 to be released later this year to the public. Soon Dev and Beta channel will be in sync, allowing one to switch between branches.

What's changes:

• Microsoft rolls back notification tray area to the original release of Windows 11 one. Allowing back the ability to move system tray icons around like Win10 and current Win11 official release. The downside is no longer having the panel with rounded corners (a smart move in my opinion). Microsoft said they'll bring it back once more improvement is done to the new (now removed) notification tray.

What's fixed:

General

• We fixed an issue where performance and reliability of explorer.exe could degrade over time, eventually resulting in a bugcheck, in the recent Insider Preview builds.

Taskbar

• We fixed the issue causing the “Show hidden icons” flyout in the system tray to disappear completely for some Insiders, even though it shows as “on” under Settings > Personalization > Taskbar and “Other system tray icons”.

Input

• Fixed an issue which was leading to some apps crashing when pressing the half-width/full-width key while using the Japanese IME.

Widgets

• Fixed an issue where if you tried to open the widgets board using a gesture from the side of the screen, you would see the widgets board open and then immediately close.
  • Fixed an issue where users were unable to use the swipe functionality to reliably invoke Widgets.

Settings

• Fixed an issue that could cause Quick Settings to crash when projecting to certain wireless devices.

Windowing

• Addressed an issue where using the 3-finger on-screen touch gesture for minimizing could cause animations to stop working across the system.
  • Fixed an issue impacting DWM reliability in recent flights.
  • Fixed an issue which was causing some apps like Settings to open blank if they were re-opened an upgrade or reboot.

Task Manager

• We fixed an issue that was causing the process list to fluctuate between Apps & Background groups when clicking on Efficiency mode from the command bar

Windows Sandbox

• Fixed an underlying issue which could cause some text in Windows Sandbox to appear as black boxes in certain cases.

Other

• Fixed an issue leading to Windows Update notifications showing they were sent from “Windows.SystemToast.WindowsUpdate.MoNotification” instead of “Windows Update”.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2022/05/05/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22616/

New Inbox app is coming out: Sound Recorder

This app will replace Voice Recorder

soundRecorder-5-6-22.png

The app has the ability to switch input source, add markers to recordings, and change the recording format. As formats you have: m4a, MP3, WMA, FLAC and WAV. You can also import audio recording for editing. You can also change the playback speed (up to x4, and down to x0.25)

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2022/05/10/reimagining-the-apps-included-with-windows-11/

To get it, simply open the Store, and check for app updates.

The app is not complete, and is in Beta/Preview.

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

As formats you have: m4a, MP3, WMA, FLAC and WAV.

I assume m4a is AAC, correct?

The new app seems nice but I don't get why Microsoft hates Opus so much.

It's free (as in freedom and free beer) and performs exceptionally well at voice recording, which is what most people will probably use that app for. It's not that it's a niche format either.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I assume m4a is AAC, correct?

The new app seems nice but I don't get why Microsoft hates Opus so much.

It's free (as in freedom and free beer) and performs exceptionally well at voice recording, which is what most people will probably use that app for. It's not that it's a niche format either.

Correct. It uses AAC

• 5 weeks later...
I love this File Explorer with Tabs in this latest Dev Channel build 25131.
Hope it soon available for Beta Channel which is my main OS now instead of Dev Channel I run in VM only.

52136340949_a77cbf2364_o.png

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

Beta Channel - 22621.160 Build KB5014770 (13 June 2022)
File Explorer with Tabs is now rolling out for Beta Channel build but it is same only for selected Insiders, you will get it if you lucky being choose.

The new code is release for this Beta Channel build for manually enable it using ViveTool.

52145627930_8250777e06_o.png

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

• 3 weeks later...

Beta Channel - 22622 & 22621 Build (5 July 2022)

• A group of Insiders in the Beta Channel will receive Build 22622.xxx updates that will have new features getting rolled out or turned on via an enablement package.
  • A group of Insiders in the Beta Channel will receive Build 22621.xxx updates that will have new features turned off by default.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2...-290-22622-290/

BRfJUB.png

• 2 weeks later...

Dev Channel - 25158 Build (13 July 2022)

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2...ew-build-25158/

Main Changes
- New Search Entry in Taskbar
- Breaking News Notification at Taskbar

BqWF9J.png