Swapped SSD. "No bootable device". What? Windows can do this?

idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b
Go to solution Solved by C2dan88,

Ubuntu has become unbootable due to its bootloader was installed on your windows ssd.

To fix this you need to boot to your ubuntu installation media and reinstall the grub bootloader

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#Reinstalling_GRUB_2

Hi. 

On my phone so short version: 

how can a windows installed on ssd... well i swapped the ssd. new ssd has ubuntu on it. booting up - "no bootable found" message. 

what?! how?! the new ssd is fully bootable, working ubuntu. 

what am i missing? 

thanks so much! 

1. do you have multiple drives in the PC

2. did you set it as the boot drive in the bios?

3. Is that version of ubuntu able to launch on a system it wasn't installed onto?(extremely unlikely but can happen)

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

3 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

1. do you have multiple drives in the PC

2. did you set it as the boot drive in the bios?

3. Is that version of ubuntu able to launch on a system it wasn't installed onto?(extremely unlikely but can happen)

Thank you!

i did not manually touch bios. will bios "know" that i swapped SSDs? 

Just now, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

Thank you!

i did not manually touch bios. will bios "know" that i swapped SSDs? 

No. well yes but usually it doesn't know what drive has a bootable OS in it, so it may swap to another drive in the system or reset to default, it's all random and in all my experience when swapping drives, a trip to the BIOS is usually in order.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Just now, Jumballi said:

No. well yes but usually it doesn't know what drive has a bootable OS in it, so it may swap to another drive in the system or reset to default, it's all random and in all my experience when swapping drives, a trip to the BIOS is usually in order.

will check this out soon. appreciate your help!

btw - the 1st OS (windows in my case) can't change the bios, right? and there's no other hardware component which can keep the boot order stored, right? 

(i know that Mac devices I think have persistent "nvram" i think it's called, but it's only Macs, right?)

2 minutes ago, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

will check this out soon. appreciate your help!

btw - the 1st OS (windows in my case) can't change the bios, right? and there's no other hardware component which can keep the boot order stored, right? 

(i know that Mac devices I think have persistent "nvram" i think it's called, but it's only Macs, right?)

windows can change settings in the bios, but as far as I'm aware, not the boot order. To that extent, I don't think I've seen any application change the boot order in the bios.

Your question is not very clear. By swapped you mean

You cloned ubuntu and windows to a new ssd and now you cannot boot any OS?

or had separate ssds. Removed the windows ssd and now Ubuntu cannot be booted?

3 hours ago, C2dan88 said:

Your question is not very clear. By swapped you mean

You cloned ubuntu and windows to a new ssd and now you cannot boot any OS?

or had separate ssds. Removed the windows ssd and now Ubuntu cannot be booted?

the second option. thank you.